Chrome Powder Coated Valve Covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
Well I just finished removing the paint off a set of VMAX valve covers over the weekend. Damn that is some tough paint they put on!!
Anyways I have some Chrome Power Coat and high Gloss Clear powder coating to go over em.
Have you ever seen the Chrome Powder Coat yet? Its looks if not better than polished aluminum. The best thing is you dont have to polish your ass off every week to keep it from dulling / oxidizing.
Powder Coat should be here Wed from Eastwood and I should have em complete and on EBAY for sale Thursday evening. If anyone here is interested before I sell em on ebay let me know. The last set of valve covers were polished but they werent VMAX they were the Venture covers. Dude sold em for like 195.00
If interested PM me.
Thnx
Yankee

Well I just finished removing the paint off a set of VMAX valve covers over the weekend. Damn that is some tough paint they put on!!
Anyways I have some Chrome Power Coat and high Gloss Clear powder coating to go over em.
Have you ever seen the Chrome Powder Coat yet? Its looks if not better than polished aluminum. The best thing is you dont have to polish your ass off every week to keep it from dulling / oxidizing.
Powder Coat should be here Wed from Eastwood and I should have em complete and on EBAY for sale Thursday evening. If anyone here is interested before I sell em on ebay let me know. The last set of valve covers were polished but they werent VMAX they were the Venture covers. Dude sold em for like 195.00
If interested PM me.
Thnx
Yankee

I've seen and used the "almost chrome" from eastwood. It's second rate in my book.

your better off, polishing, then using the clear.

The majority of the ppl in my shop, prefered, the polish then clear.

I've seen and used the "almost chrome" from eastwood. It's second rate in my book.

your better off, polishing, then using the clear.

The majority of the ppl in my shop, prefered, the polish then clear.

How long ago did you purchase the almost chrome and what was the part number from eastwood.
I spoke with them Monday morning and asked if they had any new and improved chrome powder.
Are you saying to polish them and than clearcoat with the Powdercoat?
Ive heard so many horror stories with clear coat over a polished finished. I dont want to polish them yeah they will look great until you get your greasy oily hands all over em installing them and than you can forget about polishing them once they are on.
I want something that will look good and also hold up to heat and chemicals. This is going to be for sale not my personal bike, but I wont sell nothing unless I would buy it.
Ive seen pictures of the powdercoat chrome on different applications and it looked great like polished aluminum. I would have them Chromed but no one is going to want to spend 350.00 for a set of valve covers and Chromemasters are 6 weeks turn around on work at this time.
Idea was Powdercoated chrome and the raised part high gloss black a 2 tone effect to bring out the chrome look.

My guy does the "chrome" powder and it resembles the chrome in a can from years past. I believe he clear P/C's over it too but don't quote me on that!

My guy does the "chrome" powder and it resembles the chrome in a can from years past. I believe he clear P/C's over it too but don't quote me on that!

Well I hope not I am expecting better results than chrome in a can, if thats the case I hope Eastwood returns partial of my money. From what I heard they are pretty cood customer service. The powder should be here WED, guess I will find out on a sample piece first.

Well I hope not I am expecting better results than chrome in a can, if thats the case I hope Eastwood returns partial of my money. From what I heard they are pretty cood customer service. The powder should be here WED, guess I will find out on a sample piece first.

It may be a bit better but NOT chrome. You can't see yourself in it. I am pretty sure he coated it with clear for some reason.

How long ago did you purchase the almost chrome and what was the part number from eastwood.
I spoke with them Monday morning and asked if they had any new and improved chrome powder.
Are you saying to polish them and than clearcoat with the Powdercoat?
Ive heard so many horror stories with clear coat over a polished finished. I dont want to polish them yeah they will look great until you get your greasy oily hands all over em installing them and than you can forget about polishing them once they are on.

It wasn't too long ago, I would say about 6 months. It looked like the same stuff you get out of a can. IMO the bumper chrome in a can actually looked better.

I didn't powdercoat clear, my bad for not making that clear. I mixed up some clear and sprayed several coats over it after polishing.

To me the powdercoat chrome looked like a higher gloss brushed aluminum, but then again, I was expecting a chrome look after talking with the supplier. Probably just got my hopes up. I used this bumper chrome in a can on my truck's bumper, it was the chromiest... hmm is that a word? oh well, the chromiest chrome I've seen. I'll dig around my garage to see if I can fing the brand.

Alsa Corp makes some "Killer" chrome that is probably the absolute best chrome in a can.

Sean

Well I just got done spraying the chrome and clear coat on a practice piece and my results were

I sprayed the chrome and it looked awesome very close to polished aluminum with no problem with reflecting to see your image:eusa_dance:

I than sprayed the super clear coat and things changed:bang head: it hazed and the reflection went away:confused2: to a similiar dull aluminum and spray chrome as mentioned I thought it would changed as it flowed and cured but no luck
I am going to do a set of valve covers but with no clear :clapping:

Attachments

• Powder Chrome.jpg
    Powder Chrome.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 32
I stripped all of the factory clear off of my 82' 900F alum. parts a few years back. Polished the raw alum. then applied 3 coats of "Liquid Glass". They still look awesome today, well actually as of Wednesday when I sold it.:wave bye: The nice thing with this proceedure it's easy to re-polish if necessary.

Well I just got done spraying the chrome and clear coat on a practice piece and my results were

I sprayed the chrome and it looked awesome very close to polished aluminum with no problem with reflecting to see your image:eusa_dance:

I than sprayed the super clear coat and things changed:bang head: it hazed and the reflection went away:confused2: to a similiar dull aluminum and spray chrome as mentioned I thought it would changed as it flowed and cured but no luck
I am going to do a set of valve covers but with no clear :clapping:
what are you using to spray with (paint ,powdercoat,etc? :ummm:

I stripped all of the factory clear off of my 82' 900F alum. parts a few years back. Polished the raw alum. then applied 3 coats of "Liquid Glass". They still look awesome today, well actually as of Wednesday when I sold it.:wave bye: The nice thing with this proceedure it's easy to re-polish if necessary.

What did you use to strip the clear coat?
I need to do mine... They are starting to look yukky!

I used Scotch-Brite wheels on a stand mounted buffing wheel. It takes the clear coat off not too agressively and provided a brushed base for the polishing. If you're looking for someing quick & easy, this is not. It's time consuming and dirty but well worth the effort. The Liquid Glass provides an excellent top coat barrier with a micron thick film. Re-buffing would be a snap if required later on.

I used Scotch-Brite wheels on a stand mounted buffing wheel. It takes the clear coat off not too agressively and provided a brushed base for the polishing. If you're looking for someing quick & easy, this is not. It's time consuming and dirty but well worth the effort. The Liquid Glass provides an excellent top coat barrier with a micron thick film. Re-buffing would be a snap if required later on.

Thanks TF...
Still weighing my options on them, thanks for the info.

what are you using to spray with (paint ,powdercoat,etc? :ummm:

Powder Coat

I dont like spray paint its old school and scratches chip to easily
I dont like polished Aluminum fades to quick and to much maintanence
Chrome is the best but it cost lots of money and most people dont want to pay for chrome
So I am trying to figure out the best formula with this powder coating to make it look good or better than polished aluminum and hold up for a long time with no buffing and cleaning
I will get it its just a matter of trial and error as I said when I first sprayed the part with the high reflective chrome powder it looked good very reflective and had no problem seeing the reflection as with polished aluminum
I am a little under the weather so I am not in the mood to smell powder coat
To be updated

Here is a pic of an aluminum manifold that was powder coated chrome
There is a trick and I just havent figured it out yet

Attachments

• BMChromePC1-360x264.jpg
    BMChromePC1-360x264.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 28
That manifold was probably done by Goodrich technology's its called Permistar, they have a powder coat process that looks like chrome but its as expensive as chrome to have it done so it kinda defeats the purpose,they used to do all the Edlebrock manifolds,for Edlebrock,the only advantage is its environmentally safe, in CA, thats a huge deal.

Back