For what it's worth..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
A week ago, the locking gas cap on the Roadstar fell apart. Most of the pieces wound up in the tank. Fortunately, the tank was near empty, so I didn't get a gas bath.. I figured I must have lost some of the parts, as the actual chrome part of the cap flipped off into my lap. So, I ordered a aftermarket cap for a VStar 650. $19.00 shipped. I eventually got the parts out of the tank, and found out that I didn't lose any parts. So I put the cap back together, and put it back on the Roadie.

The new cap showed up a couple days later, it fit the Roadie just fine, but I didn't need it for that bike. So I took the original cap off the Max, and discovered that all 3 caps have the exact same mechanism to latch the cap. It fit the Max perfectly. So, I retired the Max cap, and am using the new one. The tunnel to reach the cap is closed over on my Corbin seat, but the hole in the foam is still there. This lets me keep the key in the new cap, so I don't have to pull the key out of the ignition to open the cap.

Moral of the story is, if you wreck, lose or otherwise need a gas cap for your Gen1, it seems most any locking Yamaha cap will work.

Are there any non-locking gas caps that will fit the VMAX?

I don't think so, the filler is designed to have the cap latch in place. There are kits available that use a screw on cap, but you have to epoxy or JBWeld the adapter to your filler neck.

I don't think so, the filler is designed to have the cap latch in place. There are kits available that use a screw on cap, but you have to epoxy or JBWeld the adapter to your filler neck.

I read somewhere of an aftermarket replacement --i'll find a post later.

Latest posts

Back