Possible custom EFI setup in the future

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
I have been talking with my buddy who has successfully built a few EFI systems for sleds and the like. He is an electrical genius and can build all the computer and electrical interfaces we need supposedly. I might give this a go over the winter but am trying to do a little more research on it. What kind of bike would bea good donor for throttle bodies? My biggest worry is trying to come up with a sensor for injection timing. What are the biggest hurdles others have faced trying to make this work? Any input would be great, a max with efi would be awesome!

EFI on a max is awesome...................on a gen II. I AM NOT A ROCKET SCIENTEST , but I'm not dumb either. I had a Wildbros EFI that I played with for three years. Don't waste your time ,if you want an EFI Vmax by Gen II. ........... IMHO

The EFI and Turbo threads on here should be interesting reads for you. There are some that go back 5 years or more. From what I remember , almost NOBODY , ( he supercharged his and it ran like stink ) , came up with a viable , reliable system for either one.

I have limited exposure to FI
One local Maxer used it on his 1500 motor built for high speed runs ie, Maxton and the like and found it was not easy to dial in, never made huge improvements in power, was expensive, and did not bring much on resale. These were pre engineered set ups specifically for the Max. You will be additionally adding all the time and effort in starting from scratch so to speak.
I love the idea of a self adjusting fuel system for maximum performance, getting rid of cold start and choke issues, but you take on a fuel pump, brain box hurdles, plumbing and wiring concerns.
In the end I hope you decide to tackle this endeavor and there are tons of knowledgeable men here that can and will help out wherever they can.
Keep us updated!

I have been talking with my buddy who has successfully built a few EFI systems for sleds and the like. He is an electrical genius and can build all the computer and electrical interfaces we need supposedly. I might give this a go over the winter but am trying to do a little more research on it. What kind of bike would bea good donor for throttle bodies? My biggest worry is trying to come up with a sensor for injection timing. What are the biggest hurdles others have faced trying to make this work? Any input would be great, a max with efi would be awesome!

There is a TBI system out there that uses the stock carb bodies. From a performance standpoint, I'm not sure it's worth it, The Gen 1 has a funky firing order that makes the electrical part of a full multi- port system complicated. I'm sure it's doable. Best of luck with the project.

Has anyone taken this any further ?
I don't think that you need multi point injection unless you are after extremely high performance .
My Vmax has done 280,000 Miles and the carbs are totally worn out so converting to EFI seams like a good idea because the rest is still a good rely reliable machine . On top of that its set up with a sidecar and leading link front end so setting up another different bike would not be too easy .
Micro squirt do a suitable unit , I can set up everything else but would need to dyno to get the tuning to spec unless someone has a GOOD map for a standard Vmax ?

Thanks for that Wildweasel but I don't understand what ever langue that is ! LOL
Im converting the carbs to throttle bodys . The design is from http://www.roadstercycle.com/ . I do like the idea of less effort than setting different throttle bodys and Im lucky enough to have a couple of mates that are brilliant at setting up injection units and making up fuel maps .

Has anyone taken this any further ?
I don't think that you need multi point injection unless you are after extremely high performance .
My Vmax has done 280,000 Miles and the carbs are totally worn out so converting to EFI seams like a good idea because the rest is still a good rely reliable machine . On top of that its set up with a sidecar and leading link front end so setting up another different bike would not be too easy .
Micro squirt do a suitable unit , I can set up everything else but would need to dyno to get the tuning to spec unless someone has a GOOD map for a standard Vmax ?

Sticking an injector into the throat of a vmax carb restricts, and disturbs the air flow in a carb with a nice clean route to the manifold. I can't see it being anything other than a novelty. That's my reasoning on only a multi-port, and direct injection system at that, being a performance upgrade over stock carbs.
A good used set of carbs,$300?

Its more about reliability than power gains and secondhand carbs seam thin on the ground now days in NZ .

I think that the more precise fuelling will compensate for any loss of flow so Im not expecting any loss in power and I have a dirty big sidecar on mine making it overpowered to begin with , LOL .

The site os in Dutch. Copy link and go on translate.Google.com and paste the link on the box and select either Dutch or detect language and English on the right box. Then click the link that shows up on the right box in English it will translate the whole site

Latest posts

Back