Need a Restoration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJDEVANS

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a gorgeous 85 Vmax. It had been restored to near showroom quality. Then, I got divorced. My ex got my bikes in the divorce and sold them off.

Yesterday, I was contacted by a guy claiming to have my Vmax. The bike was still registered to me. After having local PD confirm the registration and verify that it wasn't reported stolen, I met with the guy.

Damn. My gorgeous bike has been trashed. Paint is destroyed. A lot of chrome is destroyed. Its been layed over. I took her home for $240.00.

I don't have the time or skill set to give this bike the restoration she deserves.

Does anyone know of someone capable and willing to bring this girl back to life. Im located in South Texas but I don't mind shipping or delivering the bike if I can find someone knowledgeable enough with vmaxs to do the job right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've got the ability but not the time. i am sure we could get the parts done up and let you bolt it all on? A few guys in the Tx area might be able to assist?

We've got the ability but not the time. i am sure we could get the parts done up and let you bolt it all on? A few guys in the Tx area might be able to assist?

This might be the way for me to go. Time is my biggest constraint also. I certainly can't touch the bike until the fall.

Shoot me over some pics (and or even post em up here) and let's see how bad that bad is.

I'm out of state for the next couple of weeks so I only have a few photos.

Here's the before shot. This was May 2015.
62d7274764d066dbcb3ef0c6dff2d957.jpg

Here are three pics that were sent to me by the people that ended up with it:
dff2b19e50a4ca6eb5916221be1ab94b.jpg

9db1a0c0d55b6824293a50c1553209f5.jpg

0c74f0da4271caead8c951e5024eaf4d.jpg

There's a lot of damage to the left side of the bike also. It has been laid over on that side. The guy that had the bike said the engine runs but has a knock low in the engine. Battery was dead so I didn't start it.

I was gonna say "$240 to buy it back?!, what a steal" and "I could have that up to snuff in a week with parts I have on hand but then you said it as has a low end knock. You may just want to part it out.

Im really sorry to hear about the circumstances under which you lost your bike. I get red in face and ragey when I hear about stuff like this. So is it fair to say that this machine has centimental value? Pending mechanical inspection I think it looks worse than it is. Light her up and see what she really runs like. I know the clutch can emit a faint knock emulating a sloppy rod bearing. If it runs well maybe its a matter of taking the body, seat and covers off to see how deep the issues are. Perhaps a sympathetic restoration would be ideal? Whatever Kyle or Sean say supersedes my opinion of course haha

Im thinking that unless you have engine issues it might clean up pretty nice withput the significant cost of a full resto. I know Captainkyle can lay a damn nice paintjob. Im sure Sean can too. I really hope it pans out. Really glad you got her back.

I bet a lot of the chrome will clean up. Not sure who you had do the work the first time around but our chrome is pretty durable. The paint easily enough redone. The engine may be normal noise and not sure i'd be too concerned at this point just yet. Get it home and a good cleaning and see what you got left.

Well... it’s been about 6 months since I got her back and I’ve just let her sit in the shop while I finished some other projects. I’ve torn down quite a bit of her in the past couple of days.

I haven’t pulled the engine from the frame yet but I did remove the left crankcase cover this afternoon and found a nasty surprise.
7f2836c9b21d271b6f204f3f89a78d6f.jpg

I’m not sure where that small piece of metal came from but we’ll definitely have to find out.

I’ve decided to completely disassemble, clean, refinish or replace as necessary. Then reassemble. I’m still not sure if I want to attempt the engine work myself.

Best part is, my 14 y.o. son is highly interested and is getting his hands dirty right beside me as much as possible.
bafb0c55c1ce4a591533dce516994505.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got a good engine right up your alley (if you don't mind stock bore)

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 22
A few years ago I had a gorgeous 85 Vmax. It had been restored to near showroom quality. Then, I got divorced. My ex got my bikes in the divorce and sold them off.

Yesterday, I was contacted by a guy claiming to have my Vmax. The bike was still registered to me. After having local PD confirm the registration and verify that it wasn't reported stolen, I met with the guy.

Damn. My gorgeous bike has been trashed. Paint is destroyed. A lot of chrome is destroyed. Its been layed over. I took her home for $240.00.

I don't have the time or skill set to give this bike the restoration she deserves.

Does anyone know of someone capable and willing to bring this girl back to life. Im located in South Texas but I don't mind shipping or delivering the bike if I can find someone knowledgeable enough with vmaxs to do the job right.

Sounds like the bike was meant to be with you. Sucks that the condition is so poor. How much did your ex get for it when she sold it?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Sounds like the bike was meant to be with you. Sucks that the condition is so poor. How much did your ex get for it when she sold it?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I’m not sure. I decided it was better not to know. I’m sure she let it go cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back