Another VMax overheating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflach5

Reaction score
My friend has an '85 that gets really boiling hot when it runs. He has checked the water pump and it works, the radiator is not clogged, the thermostat opens when boiled in a pan of water, and the thermostat fan switch was replaced and it turns the fan on when it gets warm. He can't seem to figure out why the water gets so hot and the bike overheats. He thinks maybe the head water passages may be clogged? He also wondered if anyone knew if the head off of aventure Royale is the same as a VMax head? Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

I personally run a Stant thermostat part # 13758 that opens at 180 F instead of the normal 212 - 220 F stock thermostat. I also use a Borg Warner fan switch - part # TFS545 that kicks the fan on sooner than stock. That combo works well for me down here in FL , but I suppose there are numerous things that can make an engine overheat. I don't know about the Venture cyl head , but check the old posts - there are many here who know about the interchange of Venture-to-VMAX parts. one2dmax & some others here will prolly chime in with real life info about that. I say start with the cheap/easy stuff first & then move up to the expensive/harder stuff if the other doesn't work. jusy my 2 cents...

I personally run a Stant thermostat part # 13758 that opens at 180 F instead of the normal 212 - 220 F stock thermostat. I also use a Borg Warner fan switch - part # TFS545 that kicks the fan on sooner than stock. That combo works well for me down here in FL , but I suppose there are numerous things that can make an engine overheat. I don't know about the Venture cyl head , but check the old posts - there are many here who know about the interchange of Venture-to-VMAX parts. one2dmax & some others here will prolly chime in with real life info about that. I say start with the cheap/easy stuff first & then move up to the expensive/harder stuff if the other doesn't work. jusy my 2 cents...

I was reading through my tech manual the other day, do that often, and I noticed on page 4-8 that talks about testing of the T-stat and it is supposed to start opening between 176*-183* and be full open at 203*
Isnt this about the same as the aftermarket Tstats or are the full open at 180*???:confused2:

Not sure about the full open of the aftermarket stuff. The vmax head is pretty specific for flow and styling even though the other will probably bolt on.

Sean

Not that is the question...

I believe Dannymax had a thread with pics showing the way - I'm still unsure myself LOL :confused2:

Just for further reference the letters will need to be upside down and the word "off" in the 2 o'clock position.

It's important to burp the air out of the system when filling it. Let it run a while with the cap off. you'll see the air purging out as the T-stat opens.

Sorry if this is a daft question by what makes your friend say it is overheating?

To my simple mind, if the stat opens correctly, the water pump pumps, the radiator is not blocked and the cooling system is free of air I don't understand how it can overheat unless.

A blown head gasket would cause it to loose water and eventually overheat.
Also, whist I'm not familiar with the internal waterways within the head I would have thought the radiator would block before a cylinder head water passage.

Hopefully the original poster of this thread will post how it turned out for the friend......although it has been a while.

Not sure why he'd be using "water". [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back