Fuel leak and white smoke

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, the last time I had started my 2005 vmax was a couple of months ago. I started it today. Started fine. Left it running in the garage and went inside the house for some breakfast. Came back 15 min later, the bike was still running but there was a bunch of gas on the floor, and white smoke coming out of the right exhaust. I think the gas leak was coming from the carbs area. Please share your wisdom. Thanks!

It sounds as if at least one carb may have a stuck float, probably flooding the cyl and flowing through the overflow tubes onto the floor. These guys dont like to sit to long, especially with ethanol.

Luckily it's not tough to get to them.

It's a quick job, at least it is the 2nd time around. I've had to pull the carb rack off my Venture, now thats a bit more of a bitch. After wrenching on that turd I like working on the Vmax. The first time I yanked the carbs it took me something like 45 minutes, the second time (trying different main jets) it was 15-20 min. Did you use ethanol tainted fuel or pure gasoline? If ethanol you might be cleaning out some corn squeezings. Carbs really seem to hate that stuff.

Heres a handy link on dry setting floats, many folks will recommend you double check wet level, which is sound advice. I just set mine dry and ran with it. Not a bad idea to eyeball your jet sizes while your there and see if anyone got in there and effed with stuff.

I dry set mine to the leanest end of the range and she has responded quite well to being a little leaner.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prody11.html

Coincidentally I'm in the middle of putting the carbs back together on my other vmax - this was the first time I took them apart. You're right, it'll be a lot easier the second time. Thanks for the tip on setting the floats.

Latest posts

Back