Thinking about selling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeltaz83

Reaction score
I have a 97 with 23,000 miles. 4 to 1, passenger backrest, engine guards. Ride ready, new rear tire about 5 months ago. And I have a 96 non running clean title, with brand new tires, passenger backrest. I got it to crank over but it needs carbs which I have, just haven't got around to rebuilding them. Complete clutch system rebuild kit which I haven't done yet, complete stock black exhaust, stock black mufflers, and black suppertrap slip ons. Aftermarket taller wind screen. Bunch of other parts. I was thinking of selling everything for $5,500. Thinking of upgrading to a second gen. A blacked out 2018. What is somethings you veterans would do that have been around these bikes more than I have?? No idea on the 2nd gear of the 96, I only got it to crank over.

Obviously winter isn't the best market. A running bike cosmetically needing nothing, functional & no real issues is probably a $3,000 bike unless it's really low mileage. A bike that you don't know what kind of shape it is I'd say is anywhere from $500 to $2,000 depending on what year it is and the number of miles. $5,500 as a starting point is a good point of negotiation and you can negotiate down to close a sale. I think if you got $5,000 for the two bikes that would be a good deal for you something less than that would be a better deal of course for the purchaser.

Somewhere between 3 to $4,000 I would say is a bottom line for a bike with your miles that you know runs okay and a second titled bike that you really don't know what the extent of problems with it is because it is not running.

A suggestion to maximize your money out of the second bike would be to try and at least get it operable and then part it out you'll probably get more money for it that way than as a complete bike

It seems the prices of the first gens have gone up. I used to see them for $3,500. They are atleast $4,500 now for an 89 with 50,000 onus miles. I kinda lost interest in the second bike. I figured if I needed posts for mine I have them. I could spend a little more money and get it running, and see if it's road worthy. I cringe at the thought of selling my first v max, second motorcycle I've ever owned. I miss my goldwing that was my first bike, 78. But everytime I see this second gen blacked out brand new on the showroom floor, lol. I'll absolutely wait till spring to sell so I got some time if I decide to fix up the second bike or not. May part it out, I know parts are rare, especially the black exhaust in good condition, besides being used it's in really good shape. I'm the third owner of my 97. Bought it with 11,000 miles, put just over 11,000 on it in 4 years, and only one rear tire.

It seems the prices of the first gens have gone up. I used to see them for $3,500. They are atleast $4,500 now for an 89 with 50,000 onus miles. I kinda lost interest in the second bike. I figured if I needed posts for mine I have them. I could spend a little more money and get it running, and see if it's road worthy. I cringe at the thought of selling my first v max, second motorcycle I've ever owned. I miss my goldwing that was my first bike, 78. But everytime I see this second gen blacked out brand new on the showroom floor, lol. I'll absolutely wait till spring to sell so I got some time if I decide to fix up the second bike or not. May part it out, I know parts are rare, especially the black exhaust in good condition, besides being used it's in really good shape. I'm the third owner of my 97. Bought it with 11,000 miles, put just over 11,000 on it in 4 years, and only one rear tire.

I don't know where you've been looking, but you are 100% dead wrong when it comes to first gen values, I quit restoring them a few years ago because they had become too hard to sell, and the prices are STILL way down, at least in the NE USA. I post nice ones on the Facebook Group (MaxMotorvation) all the time for 2-3K, heck, there have been some nice ones lately BELOW 2K. There are many members of that group, some that post here, that will attest to this very fact, and it's NOT just the VMAX's either, all 80's muscle bikes have taken a big hit over the past few years. It used to be, I could sell a nice V65 Magna or big Eliminator for 4-5K, now it's half of that, and it takes MONTHS to sell them. I think you are putting WAY TOO MUCH stock on Craigslist "asking prices", and I'm actually talking about SELLING prices, since I have personally sold a dozen or so VMAX's, over the past 5 years, and many more V65's and Eliminators. I think you'd be fortunate to get 3K for the one you have that's running, and maybe 500 for the 96, if you can't ride it and check 2nd gear, it's nothing more than a parts bike to anyone in the know. Heck, it's to the point now where SECOND GENS are less than 9K, I've seen a few lately in the 8000 range. The used bike market, at least for these kind of bikes, is as bad as it's been in the 15 years I've been working on them. I doubt that it ever goes back up, guys OUR age (50's and 60's) are getting up in age and getting out of riding all together, or getting cruisers, not muscle bikes.

I don't know where you've been looking, but you are 100% dead wrong when it comes to first gen values, I quit restoring them a few years ago because they had become too hard to sell, and the prices are STILL way down, at least in the NE USA. I post nice ones on the Facebook Group (MaxMotorvation) all the time for 2-3K, heck, there have been some nice ones lately BELOW 2K. There are many members of that group, some that post here, that will attest to this very fact, and it's NOT just the VMAX's either, all 80's muscle bikes have taken a big hit over the past few years. It used to be, I could sell a nice V65 Magna or big Eliminator for 4-5K, now it's half of that, and it takes MONTHS to sell them. I think you are putting WAY TOO MUCH stock on Craigslist "asking prices", and I'm actually talking about SELLING prices, since I have personally sold a dozen or so VMAX's, over the past 5 years, and many more V65's and Eliminators. I think you'd be fortunate to get 3K for the one you have that's running, and maybe 500 for the 96, if you can't ride it and check 2nd gear, it's nothing more than a parts bike to anyone in the know. Heck, it's to the point now where SECOND GENS are less than 9K, I've seen a few lately in the 8000 range. The used bike market, at least for these kind of bikes, is as bad as it's been in the 15 years I've been working on them. I doubt that it ever goes back up, guys OUR age (50's and 60's) are getting up in age and getting out of riding all together, or getting cruisers, not muscle bikes.

That maybe in the Northeast, but the southeast all the v max prices are up. Second gen atleast $10,000 used. But again it's Craigslist. I've found them for around $8,000 to $9,000. Dealers for the first gen are around $4,000. The one I found was asking $3,999 for used 90 v-max.

OK, we'll take your word for it. I think a better explanation is you haven't looked around hard enough to know the difference. I scour the country for VMAX ads all day, every day, and post them on several VMAX Facebook pages, and there are other guys like me that do the exact same thing. Many of them (like Captain Kyle) used to flip a dozen of these a year, like myself, and you just can't do it in the market nowadays, and Kyle gets a lot of his bikes from Florida and points north, so we'll just agree to disagree and move on. Good luck with your sale.

Please let me know what kind of offers you end up getting and end up selling for. Paid $1000 for a runner 88 w/ 30k that needed a carb cleaning, parts bike 94 w/40k, and truckload of spare parts a couple months ago and was reluctant to spend that but it was close by in NC. Already put another 4k on it this summer since the cleaning. Seen plenty listed for under $2500 asking on Craigslist all year. SC is a little farther than my search area but not a huge stretch (I try and keep my searches under a 5 hour drive). Can't imagine people pay an extra $3k down there but would love to know if they did.

I always watch Craigslist for parts, or bikes. Don't get me wrong I have seen them for around $3,000 $2,800. But the ones on there now are up there. Somebody is asking $8,000 for one, its got a nice flame paint job, 4 to 1, chain drive conversion, other stuff done to it. I know there is one in NY, asking $10,500 for a gen one. No pics, and supposedly only 591 miles on it. According to the ad it was a show bike. Anyways, the only ones I find now are $4,000 or better. I may not be selling, I'm just toying with the idea, really don't want another vehicle payment. Think I'll just rebuild the carbs to my second bike, rebuild the clutch system and get it running. May turn it into a track bike like I was going to do originally. I don't usually search but a few hours drive on Craigslist. And you don't have to take my word, just look up Greenville South Carolina on Craigslist lol, take a peek. Just telling you what I find.

I don't usually search but a few hours drive on Craigslist. And you don't have to take my word, just look up Greenville South Carolina on Craigslist lol, take a peek. Just telling you what I find.

Simply based on sample size, I'd say your valuation of the market is just a microcosm of what's actually happening across the US. The 1st gen VMAX market specifically, and the 80's muscle bike market generally are down 25-50% from where it was just a couple years ago. The prices peaked around 2008, right before the financial bubble burst, and has been going down ever since, muscle cars are the exact same way. What do people start selling when they can't pay their bills? Their toys are always first to go, and when you have multiple people doing this at the same time, the market suffers. I'm not making this stuff up to argue with you, these are facts based on observations of MANY bike restorers/sellers/flippers all over the country, including myself. Put your bikes for sale on Craigslist and see what kind of offers you get, if any, after all, it's free! Getting the 2nd one running is also a much better option, anytime a buyer can't test 2nd gear on a VMAX, it's a real crapshoot!

Simply based on sample size, I'd say your valuation of the market is just a microcosm of what's actually happening across the US. The 1st gen VMAX market specifically, and the 80's muscle bike market generally are down 25-50% from where it was just a couple years ago. The prices peaked around 2008, right before the financial bubble burst, and has been going down ever since, muscle cars are the exact same way. What do people start selling when they can't pay their bills? Their toys are always first to go, and when you have multiple people doing this at the same time, the market suffers. I'm not making this stuff up to argue with you, these are facts based on observations of MANY bike restorers/sellers/flippers all over the country, including myself. Put your bikes for sale on Craigslist and see what kind of offers you get, if any, after all, it's free! Getting the 2nd one running is also a much better option, anytime a buyer can't test 2nd gear on a VMAX, it's a real crapshoot!

Yeah I try not to venture to far, it's tough working ten hour days six days a week to really look around. And I remember the market crash in 08. I lived upstate ny then. I was lucky if I got 30 hours in at work a week. We had to let everything go, two quads, and almost a mustang. Construction took a big hit. Moved down here three years ago, been working 60 hour weeks since, sometimes 70 or 80. Forgive my ignorance, I just can't scour the internet everyday, all day to check the bike market, kinda why I started this thread to see what you guys in the market think, so it seems a good start for my pricing should be $3,500 allowing room for negotiation???

Yep, $3500 would be a good place to start, especially dead of winter, although I realize you're down in Florida, but I would imagine bike sales are slower down there in January than it would be during the "warmer" months.

Yep, $3500 would be a good place to start, especially dead of winter, although I realize you're down in Florida, but I would imagine bike sales are slower down there in January than it would be during the "warmer" months.

Yeah, dead of winter lol....... Can't believe these temps. Close to Florida, SC actually....... Feel like I'm back in NY, part of the reason I moved, have to set sights on further south I guess lol........... Keep thinking Bahamas, lol. Anyways, I got time to get the other bike running....I have the stuff to fix the clutch, and the carbs are apart and cleaned, I'll just get the gaskets and o-rings and reassemble them get it running and rideable and post it up when spring rolls around...... May just sell that one, I just can't bring myself to sell both.

That maybe in the Northeast, but the southeast all the v max prices are up. Second gen atleast $10,000 used. But again it's Craigslist. I've found them for around $8,000 to $9,000. Dealers for the first gen are around $4,000. The one I found was asking $3,999 for used 90 v-max.

Yep, I picked up a 2011 with 40K for 7250.

3000 to 3500 is probably a good place to start.

I bought my 99 Max back in February of last year, so almost a year ago. I live in GA and bought it in SC and paid $3700.00 but then sank a fortune into her to make her the way I envisioned her when I picked her up. By the time I was done I had $6700.00 into her in total. Sold her for $6K and felt lucky as could be to find the right buyer that just HAD to have her!

She was sharp, Kyle worked his magic on the paint. I wish I still had her to be honest but if I still had her, I would've never got the FZ-10 so it's all good I suppose.

I bought my 99 Max back in February of last year, so almost a year ago. I live in GA and bought it in SC and paid $3700.00 but then sank a fortune into her to make her the way I envisioned her when I picked her up. By the time I was done I had $6700.00 into her in total. Sold her for $6K and felt lucky as could be to find the right buyer that just HAD to have her!

She was sharp, Kyle worked his magic on the paint. I wish I still had her to be honest but if I still had her, I would've never got the FZ-10 so it's all good I suppose.

There are obviously going to be exceptions to every rule, but just because you sold yours for 6K, doesn't mean that's the new market value for 1st generation VMAX's. You give me $2500 bucks and I PROMISE you I could find a nice running 1st generation VMAX somewhere in the US. Like I said, we post them on Facebook all the time in this price range. It used to be 3-5K, but those days are LONG GONE! That being said, it's ALWAYS best to ask for more, which is why you see all these Craigslist ads for 4, 5, 6K. I promise you, the majority of them are NOT selling at that price, but as been said before, it's easier to negotiate down than up! :punk:

There are obviously going to be exceptions to every rule, but just because you sold yours for 6K, doesn't mean that's the new market value for 1st generation VMAX's. You give me $2500 bucks and I PROMISE you I could find a nice running 1st generation VMAX somewhere in the US. Like I said, we post them on Facebook all the time in this price range. It used to be 3-5K, but those days are LONG GONE! That being said, it's ALWAYS best to ask for more, which is why you see all these Craigslist ads for 4, 5, 6K. I promise you, the majority of them are NOT selling at that price, but as been said before, it's easier to negotiate down than up! :punk:

Make no mistake, I agree 100% with what you're saying. I got lucky! Just because my bike was in freaking outstanding condition with low miles (7900), I know that I dodged a bullet and thankful that I did! Usually when you invest that kind of money in a bike, you know you're not getting it out so I was blessed!

For a bike in average shape with average miles, $2500.00 is about the going rate I'd say. What people are ASKING and what it's worth are usually numbers very far apart.

She was a beauty!

PIdqlku.jpg

I've been looking around at other Maxes for sale and it seems that some don't have center stands. Were they not standard on them?

Center stands are standard but must be removed to fit some aftermarket exhausts. Mine has a Kerker 4-2-1 and the center stand is in a box somewhere. My guess is if someone flipped the bike they might have opted to sell the aftermarket exhaust separately and never bothered to put the center back on.

Center stands are standard but must be removed to fit some aftermarket exhausts. Mine has a Kerker 4-2-1 and the center stand is in a box somewhere. My guess is if someone flipped the bike they might have opted to sell the aftermarket exhaust separately and never bothered to put the center back on.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Luckily the Delkevics I put on allowed me to keep the center stand (even though I rarely used it, too much of a PITA to do it by myself)

Latest posts

Back