Broke down today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've ID that plate..
It looks like the remains of the plate that covers the starter clutch itself.
Putting the new one on today, I noticed that there is a thin metal plate that covers the 3 rollers.
I guess its there to help keep everything from flying apart (under normal use - that is)

busted clutch plate.jpg

Putting the new one on, I cleaned the threads with denatured alcohol and used some red Locktite and I peened the bolts. Hopefully they won't come loose again.
Can't test start it yet.. No Oil in there..

To Sum it all up.. LOL!!

1 - Revving it up high, in 1st, (my fault) caused the starter clutch plate to explode. I'm sure the 3 loose bolts contributed to internal vibration.
2 - This caused a piece to destroy my pulser pick-up coil and moved it out of position.
3 - Being out of position, caused it not to pick up the flywheel magnet pulse.
4 - This caused a no-spark signal for any plugs = bike dead.
5 - This left me stranded in Bear Mountain last week, over 40 miles from home.
6 - had to take a cab home to pick up my mini-trailer hook-up, then drive back to the park and tow my bike home.
7 - after opening the stator cover, found the pick-up unit, busted. ordered a replacement.
8 - Decided to work on my loose starter clutch issue also - Ordered a replacement. (that's when I saw what plate blew up)
9 - After waiting for the weather to clear up, worked on her today and **10**

10 - Shes all back up and purring like a lion. (Bike is running.. forgive the blurry pic)
Back up and running.jpg

Last edited:
None of that counts, because
:ttiwwp:

To Sum it all up.. LOL!!

1 - Revving it up high, in 1st, (my fault) caused the starter clutch plate to explode.
2 - This caused a piece to destroy my pulser pick-up coil and moved it out of position.
3 - Being out of position, caused it not to pick up the flywheel magnet pulse.
4 - This caused a no-spark signal for any plugs = bike dead.
5 - This left me stranded in Bear Mountain last week, over 40 miles from home.
6 - had to take a cab home to pick up my mini-trailer hook-up, then drive back to the park and tow my bike home.
7 - after opening the stator cover, found the pick-up unit, busted. ordered a replacement.
8 - Decided to work on my loose starter clutch issue also - Ordered a replacement. (that's when I saw what plate blew up)
9 - After waiting for the weather to clear up, worked on her today and **10**

10 - Shes all back up and purring like a lion. (forgive the blurry pic)
View attachment 57234

Latest posts

Back