Which wires on stock headlight are hi/lo/ground?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you got it correct.

Going by the manual, Set your Volt/Ohm meter to 20v DC

1) To test the low beam circuit, connect the negative black lead of your volt/ohm meter to the Black terminal of the headlamp connector.
2) Connect the red positive lead of your meter, to the Green wire. You should read your battery voltage.
3) If testing High Beam circuit, connect the red positive lead of your meter to the Yellow wire. Again, you should read battery voltage. (make sure you flip the headlight switch to high, when testing this circuit).

Last edited:
A test light in a Vmax owners tool set is helpful. It could assist in figuring this our quick. Ground the light first. Then probe each wire terminal at the pigtail. The high will light up, when the switch is put on high beam. Same on the low beam. The one that doesn't trip the test light is the ground. A cheap HF meter could also work,and test ground integrity.

As would a wiring diagram and service manual?

+1 on that..

For the 1st few months after getting my used 91, I tried working with just the downloaded manuals from the internet. It helped, but some research was somewhat confusing, because some documents were for specific years only. Wiring diagrams were scanned in black and white and sometimes not scanned very well - hard to read.

After finally purchasing my Clymer Service Manual from Amazon, it was like night and day, plus it had color wiring diagrams in the back.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Clyme...kmr0&keywords=Clymer+Vmax+1200+Service+manual

Latest posts

Back