Question about lubrication - Magnacharger crank adapter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMantis

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just looking at a thread on here from a few years ago.

One2dmax posted a really helpful message with pictures showing the Magnacharger crank adapter. Pictures duplicated below...

crank1.jpgcrank2.jpgcrank4.jpg
crank5.jpgcrank3.jpg

I'm just curious as to how you maintain adequate lubrication, because I know that on a standard VMax, the flywheel bolt has a pin-hole down the centre to allow oil to flow through it (as evident on this video)

http://www.streetfire.net/video/extremely-modded-yamaha-vmax-motorcycle-insane_205923.htm

Is there a pinhole elsewhere on the crank adapter, or do the other oil galleries around that area provide enough oil to those parts?

Thanks,
Mike

Hello,

I was just looking at a thread on here from a few years ago.

One2dmax posted a really helpful message with pictures showing the Magnacharger crank adapter. Pictures duplicated below...

View attachment 44408View attachment 44409View attachment 44410
View attachment 44411View attachment 44412

I'm just curious as to how you maintain adequate lubrication, because I know that on a standard VMax, the flywheel bolt has a pin-hole down the centre to allow oil to flow through it (as evident on this video)

http://www.streetfire.net/video/extremely-modded-yamaha-vmax-motorcycle-insane_205923.htm

Is there a pinhole elsewhere on the crank adapter, or do the other oil galleries around that area provide enough oil to those parts?

Thanks,
Mike

I don't see where that video references an oil hole? or anything related to oiling?

The Vmax flywheel bolt has a hollowed out cavity to contain a little "wiper wire" but the cavity does not go all the way through, so a new, longer bolt for an adapter could do the same job as the original shorter one as long as the new one still has the cavity for the "wiper wire"

Hello Mike and welcome

Are you a new vmax owner? What are your plans with that jib jab about the crank adapter? Are you planning on a self built blower setup? thanks

Hi Rusty, Thanks for your reply.

At about 8 seconds in to the video you can see a tiny jet of oil spray onto the clear engine cover.

There's a good photo of the hole here

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/ede36a282ede171bd684753b4d89d44261fe543f.jpg

I presumed the wiper was to keep the hole in the bolt clear. It's difficult to tell from the service manual so I'm not sure I'm following the lubrication diagram correctly.

The reason I'm asking is that I need to get a similar adaptor machined up and I want to make sure I'm not going to be blocking any important oil passages.

Cheers,
Mike

Hello Mike and welcome

Are you a new vmax owner? What are your plans with that jib jab about the crank adapter? Are you planning on a self built blower setup? thanks

Hi, and thanks very much!

I've had my vmax for about 18 months. I'd wanted one for a long time but it's a bit of a diversion from my usual tastes. (I'm getting old, I guess) I had a test ride (grounded the exhaust - oops) and I loved it! I'm going to keep it as long as I can. I'd only swap it for a 1700!

I've bought the B&M supercharger parts from Exactrep so I'm in the middle of establishing what bits I'm going to need to make up in order to get it up and running. :punk:

Don't sweat the loss in lubrication. That was added in by Yamaha for cooling of the stator and not anything for the longevity of the main engine components. You could as mentioned take the longer bolt and drill the center hole to reinstall the bent wire which is a "pump" setup.

Don't sweat the loss in lubrication. That was added in by Yamaha for cooling of the stator and not anything for the longevity of the main engine components. You could as mentioned take the longer bolt and drill the center hole to reinstall the bent wire which is a "pump" setup.

Perfect, thanks for taking the time to get back to me, I really appreciate it.

I'll be posting progress here in order to keep me motivated!

Mike.

So where is the pinhole?

The crank bolt on my 99 has no pinhole, just a cavity on the end (opposite the head) of the bolt for the wiper wire, what looks like it could be a pinhole on the head of the bolt is just a dimple for flywheel puller tip, mine doesn't go all the way through...was this same on all years?

Or is this pinhole so tiny you can't see it?

There is a tiny hole at the base of your puller tip location

Attachments

• Stator_cooling_kit.jpg
    Stator_cooling_kit.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 86
Service bulliten I believe. Dingy sent it to me a few years ago.

hi guys,

i am also (finally) building a magnacharger setup and try to get as much info as i can.
slight problem , my english is so and so... whatever, i have that long flywheel bolt too w/o a pin-hole.
Sean answered : Don't sweat the loss in lubrication (?) ...you could.. etc..
So, if i understand it right , it is not really necessary to drill a hole in it and leave it so for what it is?

Hey vandalala where are you in Belgium. Im in Geilenkirchen (Deu) just close to liege and im about to refurbish a magnacharger setup. If you are close by we can meet up.

cool Fred .. i really could need some help/info. its about 80 km .. Neerpelt - Geilenkirchen.
I have to warn you , my german is even worse ..

thx Sean , no hole needed .

Don't worry my german is even worse than yours as im portuguese so i think we will get along just fine... this is new for me as well but this is not rocket science and between internet and some guys on here i think we will be able to tackle with it... what setup you have now? the regular MC60 with the 390cfm 4bbl? what are your issues? my email is wildweasel_pt (at) hotmail.com [replace (at) with @]

ok Fred , i don't know what MC60 stands for but i have the 390 cfm 4 bbl - 12 psi - with
low compression pistons / carillo rods etc...
i have not the mechanical skills to replace the pistons or rods , so my plan wos to let it install
by a mechaniek in december (winter)
i also ordered a 6" inch extended swingarm . As you see , got some work to do.

Latest posts

Back