Aux Fuel Tanks mounted on radiator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus36

Reaction score
The fuel reserve system was not operating, so I relied on the odometer for fuel stops, but found that really depended on my riding habits. All bulbs tested OK during the start button sequence, so I traced it back to a faulty fuel sending unit using a resistance check. A used replacement was ordered from eBay for under 30 bucks. After pushing the bike twice to a gas station just prior to the troubleshooting, I decided to add a couple of aux fuel canisters in addition to fixing the reserve. While pulling the fuel sending unit for a swap out, I found the probe wire had become un-soldered. I fixed it with a better solder joint, re-installed it and now the reserve circuit is working properly again. The eBay item is on the shelf as a spare.
For the aux fuel storage system, I mounted two canisters on the radiator frame. The are not tied into the stock tank, but act as stand alone spares. Loosen the two hose clamps and they slide out for dispensing. The canisters have brass ball valves with hose barbs connected to a hose for venting pressure.

24ozk10.jpg

104i651.jpg

Am I the only one to imagine those rupturing in the event of a lay-down, bathing your legs in gas, and igniting? There has to be a better place. I guess you can hope your case guards and the handlebars retain enough structural integrity to prevent that from happening.

I saw some people mounting a tank in-place behind the stock sissy bar, using a spun-aluminum can.

Am I the only one to imagine those rupturing in the event of a lay-down, bathing your legs in gas, and igniting? There has to be a better place. I guess you can hope your case guards and the handlebars retain enough structural integrity to prevent that from happening.

I saw some people mounting a tank in-place behind the stock sissy bar, using a spun-aluminum can.
You got a point.Something like this,just the tank mounted to the sissy bar.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-VM...545346?hash=item2cbe8e1c02:g:a1oAAOSwJ4hY9NAm

Never saw the reason for an auxiliary or enlarged tank. I've run my bike on many trips, never ran out of gas, and when the tank was low, I was ready to get off anyway. Knock on wood, I never got into a situation where there was more distance to the next gas station than I had gas to get me there. I have filled up a half empty tank, knowing that it might be a stretch to the next station.

Never saw the reason for an auxiliary or enlarged tank. I've run my bike on many trips, never ran out of gas, and when the tank was low, I was ready to get off anyway. Knock on wood, I never got into a situation where there was more distance to the next gas station than I had gas to get me there. I have filled up a half empty tank, knowing that it might be a stretch to the next station.
No shortage of stations here in little britain.

I top off beginning or end of each ride, also have primarily only ride locally and knowing I'm not going too far.
Curious, about how many miles can one travel after switching to reserve? Obviousely it depends on how you ride, but in general with conservative throttle.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I top off beginning or end of each ride, also have primarily only ride locally and knowing I'm not going too far.
Curious, about how many miles can one travel after switching to reserve? Obviousely it depends on how you ride, but in general with conservative throttle.

I don't worry at 20 miles after reserve, have done 30 miles in a few emergencies, and way back in the day I think I almost got 40 miles out in farm country on my first Vmax.

I wouldn't recommend pushing it past 20 :biglaugh:

I don't worry at 20 miles after reserve, have done 30 miles in a few emergencies, and way back in the day I think I almost got 40 miles out in farm country on my first Vmax.

I wouldn't recommend pushing it past 20 :biglaugh:
Thanks good to know

I start to get concerned 20 miles into reserve. I have gone 25, but by then concern turned to worry.

Back in 1974 I ran an RD350 well over 100 miles on a tank. I was on some back road in New Brunswick, and there were no gas stations for that distance. When I filled up, I looked in the tank, and there was no gas as far as I could see back into the tank. I'd bet there was less than a quart left..

Latest posts

Back