Starting problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Trogdor

Reaction score
I recently bought a 96 and its been having some running issues lately.

When i first bought it I had to replace the starter clutch almost immeadiately. At first i thought I wasnt starting because of a weak battery so installed a new battery. I was unable to find a flywheel puller that would work in the time that i had so i ended up taking it to a shop. They told me that it looked like the previous owner had tried and failed to remove the flywheel before and ended up damaging the flywheel in the process. I bought one online because ordering from yamaha is super expensive. Installed the part and was good to go. Also they said the pick up coil was damaged and that they repaired it. Installed the new stuff and wad good to go.

No more than two weeks later I go to start the bike after work and it acts like a dead battery. I was able to push start it and got home no problem. Put the battery on the trickle charger and fired up no problem the next day. Once again, several days later the bike fails to start. Push start no problem got home.

When it was at the shop they said they checked out the charging system and it passed the tests. So now im at a loss. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Question, does the bike have a GPS, phone, or USB charge port?

IF IT DOES: Check to make sure that the device is not connected to the battery directly.

Easy way to see this is: Leave the key out of the bike, try to charge your phone (if you have a USB charge port) or operate the GPS when connected. If the port is live, and the key is out of the bike, you have a parasitic battery drain.
Any external device needs to be powered only when the key is in the on position.

A riding friend had the exact same issue and did not know why his battery kept draining.

Question, does the bike have a GPS, phone, or USB charge port?

IF IT DOES: Check to make sure that the device is not connected to the battery directly.

Easy way to see this is: Leave the key out of the bike, try to charge your phone (if you have a USB charge port) or operate the GPS when connected. If the port is live, and the key is out of the bike, you have a parasitic battery drain.
Any external device needs to be powered only when the key is in the on position.

A riding friend had the exact same issue and did not know why his battery kept draining.
Nope. Nothing like that. It does have an aftermarket led light up front but that is run on a switch. Everything else is pretty standard.

Do your own testing. Charge battery. Load test battery. Test rectifier/regulator output. Test stator output. Test for parasitic voltage draw with key off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So the bike idles at 12.6 volts. When i rev it up to 3k it doesnt really change. I just tested the regulator and it is reading around .7 forward on all 3 and open in reverse on all 3.

Im not sure i understand your forward/ reverse testing?

Power comed from the stator. The statpr is mounted under the left side cover of the engine.

You want to measure the stator output. Thid is done in the 3 white wires. The stator output is AC volts. I dont remember the specs, youll have to check the manual. Somewhere around 60 Volts AC between any 2 white wires engine on, while revving.

Also check for continuity between all 3 white wires and each white wire to ground. Engine off, key off.

Check regulator output. This is done while revving the bike. Looking for volts DC. Again, check manual for specifics but around 14v at 3500 rpm should work.

BEFORE you do any of this, charge the battery and have it load tested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So the bike idles at 12.6 volts. When i rev it up to 3k it doesnt really change. I just tested the regulator and it is reading around .7 forward on all 3 and open in reverse on all 3.

Not charging, that's a given. Mid 13's at idle minimum. Like Mike mentioned, a stator output test is in order next. The stator to regulator plug is notorious for being an issue. I'd check that when doing the testing. If the plug is corroded or burnt, many cut it out and just solder the wires. Also take a look at threads regarding the crimp fix. A little brass lug Yamaha used that is also problematic.

Not charging, that's a given. Mid 13's at idle minimum. Like Mike mentioned, a stator output test is in order next. The stator to regulator plug is notorious for being an issue. I'd check that when doing the testing. If the plug is corroded or burnt, many cut it out and just solder the wires. Also take a look at threads regarding the crimp fix. A little brass lug Yamaha used that is also problematic.

+1 - Has had the same issue with low voltage at idle. I fixed the crimp issue and cleaned up the stator to regulator connection and all is well. Every season I clean up all the electrical connections.

Latest posts

Back