May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option. COP(Coil On Plug)

I'm doing a little testing, but it looks like i may have found a pretty cheap(and WAY cool) coil/wire replacement option for the V-Max. I've got it installed on my bike(took less than 30min) and it seems to be running well. Initial startup(cold) is better than with the stk setup. The only thing i lack is actual road testing. May be a week or two since i have no rear wheel! Waiting on a wider rear wheel(sent in my stocker for core).
Bike rev's well and warm starts i think better than stk.

Video on Pg. 3

Last edited:
I'm doing a little testing, but it looks like i may have found a pretty cheap(and WAY cool) coil/wire replacement option for the V-Max. I've got it installed on my bike(took less than 30min) and it seems to be running well. Initial startup(cold) is better than with the stk setup. The only thing i lack is actual road testing. May be a week or two since i have no rear wheel! Waiting on a wider rear wheel(sent in my stocker for core).
Bike rev's well and warm starts i think better than stk.

What do you mean coil/wire? Pick up coils or ignition coils???:ummm:

Here ya go. No wise cracks about the West Texas dust!

Attachments

• 100_1286.jpg
    100_1286.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • 100_1287.jpg
    100_1287.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 100_1288.jpg
    100_1288.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,404
  • 100_1289.jpg
    100_1289.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 100_1290.jpg
    100_1290.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 100_1291.jpg
    100_1291.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 974
Sweet, how much are the coils? Any heat concerns with the coils so close to the head?

Sweet, how much are the coils? Any heat concerns with the coils so close to the head?

My coil sticks were free. Had them sitting on a shelf. There is a set on Ebay for a starting bid of $19.99 or so. Buy-it-now for $29.99. Can usually find them for $50-75. For easiest install, you would wanna score a set WITH the connectors and pig-tails. Some hunting or calling salvage yards and the like would prolly be best.
No issues with heat. On the Hayabusa(GSXR1K, GSXR750, GSXR600 all use the SAME coil sticks), they sit right down in the head with the coil almost sitting ontop of the head. No issues with them at all...

Very interesting!! Would definately be an improvement over the stock configuration and remove a definate issue with the plug wires corroding. Keep us in the loop with your testing.

Yeah, i like removing clutter too. Don't see any issues with running them. The only issue that i can see is their life being shorter due to them fireing twice as often due the wasted spark of the V-Max. On the Hayabusa, they only fire when needed. I've never heard of any issues with the coil sticks on the GSXR/Hayabusas. They are very hearty and work well with nitrous and boost...

Dunno how to post a video thats on my comp. Its a MOV format. Any ideas?

If you have a You Tube account, post it there and when you put the link in your message, the video will show up here. If you don't have an account, PM me and I will send you an email address you can send it to and I will get it posted.

The only issue that i can see is their life being shorter due to them fireing twice as often due the wasted spark of the V-Max.

What do you mean by this? Wasted spark? How come?

I also like this mod - creates space near the battery and a small weight loss too :biglaugh:

I would consider insulating the wires going to them a little better though - I know you said no heat issues but there's not much insulating meat on these skinny little guys!

Cool idea - auto industry is moving in this direction also - less chance of losing secondary ignition due to resistance or shorting to ground - I like it :eusa_dance:

What do you mean by this? Wasted spark? How come?

I also like this mod - creates space near the battery and a small weight loss too :biglaugh:

I would consider insulating the wires going to them a little better though - I know you said no heat issues but there's not much insulating meat on these skinny little guys!

Wasted spark refers to the factory ignition system firing each cyl TWICE, once on the compression stroke(which make the big boom and makes power) and once on the exhaust stroke which does nothing and is a "waste". This is the easy way out for the manufaturer to do it. Works well enough, just makes more work for the coils.

I just wired them up to see if it all worked. I plan to wrap those wires in a loom or somesuch.
I wanted to eliminate as much "clutter" as i could and this definately fits the bill.

If you have a You Tube account, post it there and when you put the link in your message, the video will show up here. If you don't have an account, PM me and I will send you an email address you can send it to and I will get it posted.

PM sent.

THERE WON'T BE A HEAT ISSUE AT ALL , MOST CARS RUN THEM NOW & THEY ARE STUFFED DOWN A TUBE INTO THE HEAD ( MOST ENGINES USE LIKE A HEMI DESIGN & ON JAP CARS , ALOT OF TIME THEY ARE COVERED . ON THE MAX THERE GETTING SOME AIR TO KEEP THEM A LITTLE COOLER ! THIS IS A GREAT IDEA !!!!:punk:

It is a really good idea. He's been here about a month and is already going for a Mod Monkey award! :thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back