R1 Voltage Regulator / Rectifier Upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the same R1 rectifier from on 05 model, and it's a big clumsy sucker!!! How did you cut the cooling fins down? Is it possible to cut "too much" off of it? I just don't want to mess this up, I have a dremel, and was assuming this would be the easiest way to cut it, I'm going to mount mine under the passenger seat like you did!!!!!!

These units do cool efficiently but you should only cut off what you really need to.

The V-max doesn't rev as high as the R1 so the normal and upper duty cycle on the unit is lower on the V-max. It shouldn't get hot even when the V-max is running in it's higher rev ranges.

I used the paper thin solid abrasive wheels (black disks) supplied with most dremel bit packs. They cut through the fins very easily and quickly.

Hey Gleno, I did the conversion this weekend and it wasn't bad at all !!!! I had to shave the top of the 2005 R1 rectifier, probably about 1/2" of material, but it fit under the passenger seat like a glove. I ran one screw through into the rear inner fender, and with the rubber strap from the tool kit, it's in their snugly!! Since I don't ever carry any passengers, I think it will be fine in there! I started the bike and let it run for about 20 minutes, and she cranked RIGHT BACK UP! Starter was spinning good too, not slowly like it had before. On the bright side, now I have a brand new Rick's stator and 4 brush starter for sale if anybody needs them, the rectifier cured my problem!!!!!!!!

Hey Gleno, I did the conversion this weekend and it wasn't bad at all !!!! I had to shave the top of the 2005 R1 rectifier, probably about 1/2" of material, but it fit under the passenger seat like a glove. I ran one screw through into the rear inner fender, and with the rubber strap from the tool kit, it's in their snugly!! Since I don't ever carry any passengers, I think it will be fine in there! I started the bike and let it run for about 20 minutes, and she cranked RIGHT BACK UP! Starter was spinning good too, not slowly like it had before. On the bright side, now I have a brand new Rick's stator and 4 brush starter for sale if anybody needs them, the rectifier cured my problem!!!!!!!!

That's great. :eusa_dance:

Wouldn't hurt to put that 4 brush starter in anyway. :punk:

That's great. :eusa_dance:

Wouldn't hurt to put that 4 brush starter in anyway. :punk:

Agreed, but I'd just as soon spend that money somewhere else right now, who knows, the old starter may have a couple good years left in her? Only a 20K mile bike..........not to mention, I live by the motto, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :biglaugh:

If I lived by that motto, I would be a lot better financial position now..... :rofl_200:

So .....should I do this mod or not??
I have a 1997 and have only experienced the "running at idle, can't start problem" twice. Once was actually at Thunder in the Valley!

Is it only the earlier years, or should we all consider this?
I have to admit I have never had a voltmeter on the bike, so I really have no clue what's going on w/ the charging circuit.
I have done "the splice", but I also have a intercom system and an audio system with a small amp built in....plus the LED accent lights.

What do you all think???
Yea or ney??
I just checked fleabay...between 50 -100 for a used RR from an R1
Thoughts?

Bought these two items off ebay a couple weeks ago. The stator was a rebuild out of Bama and the rec was an aftermarket out of Ca. I went from 13.2 V max to 14.29, 13.86 w/ the lights on. I have about $160 invested in both, plus gskts and new screws. Well worth the investment. Always had voltage probs on the '89. Easy plug ins, no splicing.

stator # 180302655590

regulator# 320347848240

Thanks for that info! I saw those regulators and wonder how they compare to stock. I'd be curious to see the results with a stock stator. I was going to bid on a Venture regulator but fell asleep and missed the bid. These have a sense wire so it a smarter R/R.

Been having this problem(s) since I replaced the stator... Can't seem to get the case gskt to stop seeping. Any 'good' sealant out there? Blk RTV isn't cutting it. Am thinking of using some of the blue, Cat sealer. Tried two stock and one homemade gskt. Also, off and on, have a vibration, buzzing noise, like teeth are rubbing the case or the magnet is touching the shield. Tried to insure the shield tabs are in the right position. Case seems to go on decent. Buzzing noise, once again is intermittent, 1500 rpm avg. Could the magnet be pulling the shield down? Any ideas?

Is the oil coming from the stator grommet? Each time that's removed you need to clean the wires. Pull them through the grommet a bit so you can clean where the wires go through. Then, Permatex Ultra black to seal the wires and top of grommet.

Thanks. Yeah, did that. I'll try one more time. Have to see what's rubbing inside intermittently, causing the buzzing sound. Guessing it's the shield.:ummm:

I would like to get one of these regulators too,
are you guys getting them on e-bay ?:ummm:
I would like to know why Yamaha didn`t incorporate any of these (what we call mods)
into the bike when they made it ?(they did it for the sport bikes).
It`s an awesome bike and I just feel that if they would have, it would have saved us alot of money , work and time along with heartache.
I`m just curious but, I would have paid the extra money for it if they had done it.
Sometimes I get the hot starting problem with my bike too,:bang head:
<<Dave>>

Yes, you can get one off Ebay. I posted the item number a few posts back. I checked my voltage after a run a couple days ago. Showed right at 14 and a half volts. No complaints here. Reg was 75 bucks delivered.

I believe I got my leak figured out. On the new rec plug, the wires slid easily thru the grommet. I'm guessing the oil slung up against the rubber, then seeped thru the wire holes. After cleaning w/ carb cleaner, I blk rtv'd the wires and slid them, coated, back and forth. So far, no leaks.

I blew my regulator back in Feb (http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6649)

Put in a spurious regulator temporairly until I got a proper heavy duty regulator rectifier & stator. I located the regulator between the carbs and fuel pump on the LHS (just enough room) but I prefer the idea of putting it in the scoop

Problem is, the new parts are sitting in a box because the bike is running so well I don't want to change anything.

Hi all:

I just wanna confirm that the 2004 R1 reg/rec is a good choice...true?

Thanks.

Elimax

I was wondering how the wires plug into the new regulator?? Are you guys just soldering them into the regulator? If so how difficult is that? Thanks for the help!

The regulator on my 85 went south and I got the late model one from python and now im getting 14 volts with lights on and 13.8 with lights and fan on so im not going to put the r-1 regulator on.

Latest posts

Back