VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
Had my Max for almost 2 weeks . It came with a mini screen and not sure if i like the look . Have ridden it with and without it on , seem to be better without it wind wise .

What do you guys think ?:ummm:

Re: Mini - screen - Yes or No ?

I took mine off for a few years, but recently decided to put it back on. I believe it is better wind wise with it on.

Have ridden it with and without it on , seem to be better without it wind wise .

What do you guys think ?:ummm:
I think you have the answer already! I like the look without it better, but I need somehting to keep the wind blast of my chest. It also help at 100 mph + speeds that I can tuck down behind it if needed. I run the Givi Airstars and I think it's shaped a little different than the OEM counterpart.

had a shield on for a while took it off the wind noise was not worth it...and i know the fly screen will hit he right in the face the wind noise will be a problem also..if i know im going to hit the highway hard i use the full face better than ant windshield

Small screen will reduce drag on you. But, the small screen will also put a big, turbulent blast right under your chin (when not ducking down). This reduces drag, but can make the noise in your helmet unbearable without ear plugs.

Kind of a pick your poison sort of thing.

I suspect the new VMax will not suffer at all from this problem. If its seen any time in the wind tunnel, I bet they have eliminated the turbulent flow around the driver, both with and without their screen.

So does anyone have a screen brand/model they would recommend for highway comfort and low noise/turbulence at 80/90mph and a 6-ft tall rider?

It seems to be a recurrent theme with the OEM windscreen. Turbulence, not enough protection. :confused2: I have no problems with turbulence off the screen of my Givi mini shield. With the amount of bugs that are on it I don't thing I want to take it off.
At normal highway speeds (55 - 80 mph) the wind flow hits my full face visor about midway up. It is very humid around here atm and last night I had my visor open 2 clicks. If I wanted a blast of cooling air I just tilted my helmet up a couple of inches, if I wanted bug protection tilted it down a little more.
As I said before I like the look of the Vmax without the windshield but where I live there are too many bugs to go with out it. Just ask Maxcruiser!:biglaugh:
So I say YES to the windscreen!

So does anyone have a screen brand/model they would recommend for highway comfort and low noise/turbulence at 80/90mph and a 6-ft tall rider?
What size are you looking for? a mini screen? I can give 2 :thumbs up: to my Givi Airstars, it works very well for me. (lowered seat 1 - 2", drag bars, front forks lowered 2", I'm 6' tall, size 50 jacket, 250 lbs). (no, I'm not looking for a date Lankee!:rofl_200::rofl_200:)
If your looking for more protection/ less wind Maxcruiser can let you know how his larger shield works for him. Mike has a nice setup, check his pictures out.:punk:

I prefer the looks of the mini screen but, at 6' 5" with a bad back I have to ride pretty much straight up.

I have a stock Yammie windshield with a Laminar Lip. The wind hits just at the top of my helmet.

I also put long stem mirrors on, from Vmaxbits.

The benifits of riding in quiet comfort, seeing what's trying to run me over (as opposed to mostly shoulder), more than offsets the, not so attractive, appearance. IMHO :worthy:

What size are you looking for? a mini screen? I can give 2 :thumbs up: to my Givi Airstars, it works very well for me. (lowered seat 1 - 2", drag bars, front forks lowered 2", I'm 6' tall, size 50 jacket, 250 lbs). (no, I'm not looking for a date Lankee!:rofl_200::rofl_200:)
If your looking for more protection/ less wind Maxcruiser can let you know how his larger shield works for him. Mike has a nice setup, check his pictures out.:punk:

Ok, I'm 5' 10" and 190lbs - when touring, I use a Memphis Shade Hellcat windshield - great wind protection and adjustability. With Corbin seat, front lowered 2" - the wind goes right over top of helmet - I wear a beanie helmet (neck problems) and rarely get hit in the face with bugs. Only downfall, is the front signal lights need to be relocated.

I also have the Givi windscreen, mostly use for short rides, but this year with the bugs, only used it twice - works good with my lowered stock seat.

Depends on how much wind/bug protection that you're looking for.

Mike

thanx for the replies guys. :biglaugh: I guess what I'm looking for most is decent wind noise protection and riding comfort. I'm gonna be doing a 90-mile one way highway commute on a pretty regular basis, and I value my hearing as my livelyhood is making music!

Has anyone ever successfully used a Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire windshield?

I'm 6'1'' And I have the mini. I raised it ALL the way up and I don't think it's that loud (with a good helmet)

I rode without it for awhile and I'm definitely glad I have it now! If you didn't want one you could get different bars that would lean your forward - but with stock bars and high speeds you probably want one.

thanx for the replies guys. :biglaugh: I guess what I'm looking for most is decent wind noise protection and riding comfort. I'm gonna be doing a 90-mile one way highway commute on a pretty regular basis, and I value my hearing as my livelyhood is making music!

I had one before a bird hit and broke it. You get a fair amount of wind turbulance no matter how you try to adjust it.

Mike

Can't get over the looks of a shield on a naked bike. I will sell my bike before I put a shield on it.

Sit up and take it like a man! :biglaugh:

Can't get over the looks of a shield on a naked bike. I will sell my bike before I put a shield on it.

Sit up and take it like a man! :biglaugh:

Them there are fighting words :boxing00: - Seriously, I like the stripped down look also, but when it comes to comfort on long trips, I couldn't care less if the bike is not styling - to each his own!

Mike

Them there are fighting words :boxing00: - Seriously, I like the stripped down look also, but when it comes to comfort on long trips, I couldn't care less if the bike is not styling - to each his own!

Mike

That's why I have my cages...:biglaugh:

I'm a hobby biker and with my piss poor back I stick to 4 wheels for long rides.

My vote is "yes" for aesthetics and "no" for function....

I don't notice any difference with the shield on or off. Therefore, to me, it doesn't "function," it only "looks."

well I put the Spitfire shield on and it definitely helps a lot - I can do highway for 1:20hr without feeling like my neck's about to brake. But there is a lot of wind noise, so still looking for a better option as adjustments are not making much of a difference..

The need for hearing protection is big on my list too. That's why I wear ear plugs most of the time. Other times I like to have some tunes when I'm out for a solo run. Here is a resource for everything about motorcycles and ear plugs.

Latest posts

Back