another no start problem.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effingidiot

Reaction score
U.K. A soldier of life,just soldiering throu.
Hello everyone.I am a new member,i have got myself a 1996 1200 vmax project.I have put on a new battery,when I press the start button all the lightes go out and it will not turn over.I have a manual on its way,but can't wait to hear it run.Any advice what to check please.Thanks.

Assuming your new battery is fully charged, MY 1ST GUESS, and my guess only, would be that your clutch switch is not working properly. Mine does this occasionally (more and more lately), and all I have to do is operate the clutch lever once, and then it will spin over on my 2nd try at the starter button.

After that, my 2nd guess would be that the starter relay assembly is malfunctioning. But do get yourself a svc manual to go through it to run down the list of possibilities, including a bad starter button itself.

Welcome to the asylum.

Clutch switch- 2 wires connected to the bottom of the clutch handle bracket and another safety switch is the kickstand which plugs from under the kickstand going up under the seat.

But if malfunctioning, the kickstand switch would only prevent the bike from starting IF the bike were sitting in gear already, would it not? Also, when/if that were happening, I don't believe the lights would go out upon hitting the start button. (Though I honestly don't remember as I'm sitting here typing this)

In any case, if the green neutral light is illuminated, the bike is not in gear, and it's kickstand switch should not be causing this.

With my kickstand down if I hit the starter button EVERTHING shut off.

Blaxmax that should only happen if in gear. Other then that it should start up. I had a kickstand switch relay go bad & everything worked fine except no spark.

The kickstand down will not let the engine run in any position except neutral. With the kickstand up the engine will not start unless either A: in neutral, or B: in gear AND the clutch is pulled in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All of which indicates, to me, that Effingidiots' current problem is NOT his kickstand switch, as I previously stated.

Blax, go back to your Max, leave it's kickstand down and ALSO put it in gear. Leave the clutch lever alone, and now see if when pushing the start button whether, or not, the lights go out. This is where I'm not sure if lights go out momentarily, or not.

I do know that they will go ahead and momentarily go off with the kickstand down, BIKE IN NEUTRAL, and hit the start button. That would be normal starting procedure for a lot of folks.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on what scenario I was unsure of.

Regardless, I don't think Effingidiots' problem could be the kickstand switch currently with the conditions he has described - provided his neutral light is on, and the bike is aware that it is not in gear. If the green light is ON, then I doubt it could be a gear switch problem either. Of course, if the green light is not on when out of gear, then it could be a whole other ball of wax.

Hello everyone.I am a new member,i have got myself a 1996 1200 vmax project.I have put on a new battery,when I press the start button all the lightes go out and it will not turn over.I have a manual on its way,but can't wait to hear it run.Any advice what to check please.Thanks.

Simple & easy stuff first, battery?

Also Check fuses . The ignition fuse is labeled in the little black fuse box.
Check continuity of the fuse to make sure it is good. Dont go by just looking at it. Or swap out for a known good fuse. "When you have eliminated the impossible , what ever remains however impossible must be the truth." ~Sherlock Holmes

Last edited:
Simple & easy stuff first, battery?
First thing I thought of too Steve----He did mention in the first response that it was a new battery.
JIM, I was giving 'effingidiot' things to look for from past experiences I have had
My first impression was the same as Steve's even though I read he had just put a NEW battery on it. I sent a flowchart which I'm sure he didn't have and I stated that it was his CLUTCH SWITCH. Then I mention ANOTHER SAFETY SWITCH is in the kickstand.
Here is a video for you------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUFYnRjAB0

Assuming your new battery is fully charged, MY 1ST GUESS, and my guess only, would be that your clutch switch is not working properly. Mine does this occasionally (more and more lately), and all I have to do is operate the clutch lever once, and then it will spin over on my 2nd try at the starter button.

After that, my 2nd guess would be that the starter relay assembly is malfunctioning. But do get yourself a svc manual to go through it to run down the list of possibilities, including a bad starter button itself.

Welcome to the asylum.
Just checked the clutch wires they are not connected at all,and no clutch preasure so gonna have to sort that out in the morning.Thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All of which indicates, to me, that Effingidiots' current problem is NOT his kickstand switch, as I previously stated.

Blax, go back to your Max, leave it's kickstand down and ALSO put it in gear. Leave the clutch lever alone, and now see if when pushing the start button whether, or not, the lights go out. This is where I'm not sure if lights go out momentarily, or not.

I do know that they will go ahead and momentarily go off with the kickstand down, BIKE IN NEUTRAL, and hit the start button. That would be normal starting procedure for a lot of folks.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on what scenario I was unsure of.

Regardless, I don't think Effingidiots' problem could be the kickstand switch currently with the conditions he has described - provided his neutral light is on, and the bike is aware that it is not in gear. If the green light is ON, then I doubt it could be a gear switch problem either. Of course, if the green light is not on when out of gear, then it could be a whole other ball of wax.
Just found clutch wires not connected,just bare wires and no preasure in the clutch.Neutral light and all other lightes work,when i let go of thestarter button everything comes back on.Av got all week end to check things,gonna have to check everything from the begining.

Back