coolant

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipperdd

Reaction score
Could anybody tell me what is the best coolant/antifreeze to use in my 97 vmax.

Re: coolent

I use Honda OEM HP green with my 06. I'd read an article somewhere that Honda had issues with their Gold Wing and cavitation. I figured this stuff outta be good.
My brother has been using the red GM stuff for years with his 87.
I figure whatever you use, and works, stick with it. Just don't play barista and mix blends.

Re: coolent

I've always used the cheapest green chit from Wallyworld in my 85 - since it was new. Only problem I can see with it, is that it MUST be hard on back tires, as I avg 2K miles out of each. (only reason I can see for such chitty tire mileage) ;)

Red anti freeze clogs the coolant system I wouldn't use it in anything. :puke:

It keeps system clean. I've used it for 20+ years in both my Vmaxes.

Toyota uses it in all their vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Any of the Long Life antifreezes which will give you five years of protection against internal corrosion and freezing.
Thoroughly flush the system before re-filling.

+1 on the long life. I use the 50/50 pre-mixed. I flush every couple of years. Mark, I've left that Toyota red in my car for years on end. The cage never gets the same love. It's good stuff.

+1 on the long life. I use the 50/50 pre-mixed. I flush every couple of years. Mark, I've left that Toyota red in my car for years on end. The cage never gets the same love. It's good stuff.

5 years at least. Any other coolant I would change out every 2 years.

IMO.

The regular green stuff is fine. If you want to go for the various long-life blends then fine, just make sure the previous coolant was thoroughly drained and flushed with water. Mixing types (despite if the bottle says compatible with other colors) is a no-no and a great way to create a problem when there wasn't one. Of course there's several specialty powersports coolants (water wetter, Evans, engine ice), but I have yet to see any reliable evidence that they work any better than plain green stuff to justify their price.

Toyota used to use pink coolant (so did Honda and some other Asian brands), but they seem to have moved away from that to the new red kind. Forum chatter, spurred on by some admittedly vague language in a TSB from Toyota about leaking water pumps, suggests the pink stuff may have insufficient lubricant properties, and recommended using a different type (the red stuff) if the dealer had to warranty the pump to prevent a recurring problem (costing Toyota more money).

Anything I can get on sale... Never had any issues with corrosion in the cooling system. Every time I drain the system, the coolant comes out just as bright green as it was when I put it in - usually at least 3 or 4 seasons earlier..

Latest posts

Back