1985 first owner back for more.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Hi all. New here.

I'm Mike. The original owner of a 85 V Max. I put almost 50K on it before wrecking it and putting it in storage. Unfortunately I didn't do a good enough job and now have to rebuild the fuel system at least. Maybe more.

It took me this long to feel comfortable getting back on a bike after my accident but I'm now glad I kept her.

So I figured I better introduce my self because I'm going to start asking some noob questions.

If this guy offers to help, simply reply, "Um, OK, thanks...I'll keep that in mind." Then - shake your head, roll your eyes and ignore him. :looser:

Now that's a hell of a way to welcome a new guy!!! You should be ashamed!! :bang head::bang head:

Here I was all concerned about draggin' my tired ol' ass all the way across the country so I could be there for your execution................Hmmm, might have to revisit that issue, gas IS pretty high, prolly should mow that weekend.............?? :ummm:

Welcome back, and sorry about the crash. Lots of good help available here.

Thanks guys. The accident was almost 20 years ago but I still have some hardware in my elbow.

I'm a bit overwhelmed because I'm not a mechanic but I cant afford to have one work on it. Im a hvac guy.

Thanks guys. The accident was almost 20 years ago but I still have some hardware in my elbow.

I'm a bit overwhelmed because I'm not a mechanic but I cant afford to have one work on it. Im a hvac guy.

Nah, you don't need a mechanic, Mike. Some of the best in the country are right here on this site.

Do it right, do it yourself.

Im a hvac guy.

Jeez, that's no excuse. Based on the work I had done on my A/C this spring, you guys make more than neurosurgeons. :biglaugh:

Understand about the elbow, my ankle sets of metal detectors at the airport now, and I look like my grandpa when I have to go down a flight of stairs.

depending on if you want to keep it stock or do some modifications will make a difference too. I have a few original parts laying around but not many.

Sean

Hi Mike! :cheers:

When you have a list of what needs to be done and what parts you need, post it here. I'm sure we can all help you get you VMax back on the road.

Look on the bright side Mike, you still got your V Max. :eusa_dance:

Lots of poor unfortunates can't say that!! :clapping:

Yup. But I feel guilty for letting her get to this point.

depending on if you want to keep it stock or do some modifications will make a difference too. I have a few original parts laying around but not many.

Sean

Prolly leave her stock for now. I know I need the front exhaust headers.

I replaced the mufflers when I crashed it. But looks like the whole exhaust got shoved forward when the muffler hit a curb while sliding backwards.
I could have bought two kerker exhausts for what I will have paid to keep the stock.

Did he say where he's at??

Sean

Iowa City:punk:

Thanks guys.

I started reading this thread and it scared the bjesus out of me for a second. I thought I had posted it at first, then realized that I didn't still have my first 85 Max. I never wanted to see it again, and instead opted to order another new 85 leftover from the Yamaha warehouse after my accident.

My accident happened back on March 4, 1987, with about 14k miles showing on the odometer, and it took my til October 15th(ish) to acquire the little beotch's insurance money to go get the 2nd bike.

Oh, and I had all the rods taken out of MY ELBOW somewhere back in 1989. I still can't straighten the right arm 100%, but other than that and a few scars, life is good.

Maybe you could come to Missouri and just buy my 1985 Max and use your old one for parts to maintain it? I could then put a deposit on a new 09. I came pretty close last week, but realized I would need a whole added garage for space and didn't go through with it......but.......:biglaugh:

You aren't too far from a few of us anyway. I am near Wichita Ks. You can use about any year front pipes but the earlier years have the right color on the exhaust flange caps. I would only worry about it if you were trying for a perfect restoration. Otherwise buy a set off a newer bike. I have plenty of nice sets too.

Sean

Back