OEM vs aftermarket ignition

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Still chasing problems on my bike. Still sputters.

Is it worth buying an aftermarket ignition module or should I just stay OEM?

I would make sure the ignition unit is the problem before investing in the other.

Have you made sure that your pickup coils are 100% and that there are no cracked HT coils or weak sparks?

Have you tracked the "Sputter" down to the cylinder that you think is missing?

How does the bike run above 4000 rpm???

Neil

Unless you're high compression and in need of retard setting, or running nitrous or something, the dyna 3000 really isn't much to hurrah about unless you really want a rev-limiter, which the dyna has and it works well...

I run the dyna 3000, which is the only aftermarket box there is, and have put 3years, 20,000 miles on it with no problems, and have proved to myself at least that the curve settings are moving the timing around, but moving the timing on mine provided zero performnace advatage, the stock curve is perfect for the stock motor,

The stock unit is just fine unless it's busted, which mine was....and in which case the dyna is a cheaper and just as reliable, at least in my case, alternative....,,

Unless you're high compression and in need of retard setting, or running nitrous or something, the dyna 3000 really isn't much to hurrah about unless you really want a rev-limiter, which the dyna has and it works well...

I run the dyna 3000, which is the only aftermarket box there is, and have put 3years, 20,000 miles on it with no problems, and have proved to myself at least that the curve settings are moving the timing around, but moving the timing on mine provided zero performnace advatage, the stock curve is perfect for the stock motor,

The stock unit is just fine unless it's busted, which mine was....and in which case the dyna is a cheaper and just as reliable, at least in my case, alternative....,,

+10)

I put the dyna 3000 and 4 brand spanking new OEM coils on mine this past week. Barney runs like a BEAST, but, I was not happy with the tune the right side was playing at certain times.

Just like I posted 2 weeks ago, the valve overlap was not perfect even with 6800 miles and most of those 1/4 mile at a time. He said chunkada chunkada chunk...blat blat blat...chunkada chunkada chunk...blat blat blat.

Valve settings will get closer over time!

This one is a beast, and I'm still not happy! He runs better than ever, but my ear hears something many would not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CV_522SbM

Are you hearing what I hear???

Neil

Are you running stock curve? It almost sounds like Vboost is unplugged.

Yep, you're right, I wouldn't hear it. If that were my bike, the only reaction to the sound that I would have is - wood. Barney sounds great to these old ears.

Latest posts

Back