What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend was windscreen weekend. Got a VStar stock windscreen and installed it on the road Friday. Saturday, I made a couple of brackets to relocate the turn signals from above the headlight. Looking for turn signals with the wires separated from the mounting studs kinda like an H-D has. Not sure if I'm going to get longer studs for the control levers or mount the signals to the forks below the triple.

Next project is to trim the windscreen down to my height. It's about 4 inches too tall for me.

Just finished a Marks 4-2 install and a Morley carb kit on Christian's ride. Plus some new lights front and back, rebuilt the masters and flushed the old fluid out. Getting ready to deliver in a few minutes. A few hiccups along the way, but that's sometimes the case. A stripped sync screw made things interesting. Dannymax to the rescue there. A pilot jet on one carb plugged up on me and she was popping crazy on the low end. Two thorough shotguns cleared the way to smooth running. On the suggestion from a knowledgeable friend, Eric, I pulled the jets before blasting carb cleaner and air through the circuits. More volume of air helped, from now on that's the way I'll always do it. More fine tuning to follow in the near future. I've become very efficient at carb removal install. I'm not telling how many times I removed them and replaced them.

Just remounted my rear wheel after wanting to freshen up my old looking cracked up paint on my final drive and swing arm.

Old cracked up paint: hard to see but not only did the plastic ring had chipped paint, but there were age cracks, completely covering the final drive unit.

Before any painting was done cropped.jpg

Cleaned, then put stripper on.. Goop stripper worked in seconds..
Stripper at work - cropped.jpg

after 2nd coat..
after cropped.jpg

24 hours later, tire re-mounted
Mounted - cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Running like crap burbling, popping, loss of power, idling up and down turned out to be a loose needle jet, insufficient gas flow to the carbs and intermittent connection at the plug to the fuel pump, relay was fine but power would not flow to the pump. Ran fine with the Mr gasket 42s and twisting the connector. Going to route fuel lines and sync the carbs Saturday then take it for a ride. Looks like I will have to put the pump under the passenger seat.

Just finished a Marks 4-2 install and a Morley carb kit on Christian's ride. Plus some new lights front and back, rebuilt the masters and flushed the old fluid out. Getting ready to deliver in a few minutes. A few hiccups along the way, but that's sometimes the case. A stripped sync screw made things interesting. Dannymax to the rescue there. A pilot jet on one carb plugged up on me and she was popping crazy on the low end. Two thorough shotguns cleared the way to smooth running. On the suggestion from a knowledgeable friend, Eric, I pulled the jets before blasting carb cleaner and air through the circuits. More volume of air helped, from now on that's the way I'll always do it. More fine tuning to follow in the near future. I've become very efficient at carb removal install. I'm not telling how many times I removed them and replaced them.

We've got her tweaked close to spot on. This Vmax pulls hard. I'm in love with the short Mark's cans and wide straight through open end caps. I always start off a little on the rich side then dial them in going leaner until they get to where they need to be. And then the temperature changes...lol. We've got a little charging issue going on, but that's getting fixed thanks to Sean's part availability. And next, some very sweet wheels and radial tires going on. I hope ya don't mind me telling your story Bro. We'll be needing some pics once we're done.
Steve

Just remounted my rear wheel after wanting to freshen up my old looking cracked up paint on my final drive and swing arm.

Old cracked up paint: hard to see but not only did the plastic ring had chipped paint, but there were age cracks, completely covering the final drive unit.

View attachment 58654

Cleaned, then put stripper on.. Goop stripper worked in seconds..
View attachment 58655

after 2nd coat..
View attachment 58656

24 hours later, tire re-mounted
View attachment 58657

Nice work Darren, nothing like a clean looking Vmax.

Steve you can tell the story because you did all the 1st class work. My bike is running unbelievably awesome thanks to you. I'll post up some pictures as soon as the new wheels are on. I'm buying new grips, bar end mirrors and superbike bars from Sean as well as the regulator. The mod monkey bit me on the neck and won't let go.

Nice work Darren, nothing like a clean looking Vmax.

Thanks Steve..
I'm going to try and replace my botched up center stand with the bolt sticking out (seen in the background of last pic), but getting those lock nuts loose, with the muffler resonator box in place is going to be a PITA.. I have a replacement center stand from 2017 Thunder. Also, I'm taking my faux tank to Lowe's today, to see if I can match up the paint. I want to replace my chopped off rear fender and tail light. I have a full black fender already.. I figured it would be easier to paint the one fender, than to try and paint all covers. Matching the paint might take a little time.

I picked these engine guards up at this year's Thunder.
Now I've attached my highway pegs.. looking to try and mount these today..

Engine guards and pegs.jpg

We've got her tweaked close to spot on. This Vmax pulls hard. I'm in love with the short Mark's cans and wide straight through open end caps. I always start off a little on the rich side then dial them in going leaner until they get to where they need to be. And then the temperature changes...lol. We've got a little charging issue going on, but that's getting fixed thanks to Sean's part availability. And next, some very sweet wheels and radial tires going on. I hope ya don't mind me telling your story Bro. We'll be needing some pics once we're done.
Steve

Ditto!:punk:

PCW extra friction disc kit, and their heavy-duty diaphragm spring, you get OEM friction discs +1 to replace the inner 1/2-width one, and a OEM case gasket. The heavy-duty diaphragm disc spring if you don't have an aftermarket pressure plate is a easier-on-the-pull choice than the double spring modification.

Call them, to order:
(518 346-7203)

http://www.pcwracing.net/

Yep, runs so good now, it had no problems letting me know it needs a clutch.

A PCW over Barnett? I have always used Barnett's steel and friction kits in the past. What is the difference. Is pressure plate mod to the 1st gen XVZ style worth it?

At a Friends workshop;

Made a custom framework for my Givi set

Attachments

• IMG-20180722-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20180722-WA0008.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-20180722-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20180722-WA0010.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180722_153904.jpg
    20180722_153904.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180722_153908.jpg
    20180722_153908.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180722_153913.jpg
    20180722_153913.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 30
A PCW over Barnett? I have always used Barnett's steel and friction kits in the past. What is the difference. Is pressure plate mod to the 1st gen XVZ style worth it?
The DD is mostly just an extra diagram spring install stacked on top of each other. The pressure plate remains the same. The half disk gets swapped out for a full one. One thing I can attest to is the clutch will not slip with the DD. And my fibers seem to last longer, than the OEM set-up. The PCW or any aftermarket diaphragm is fine for the street. Going to the DD, I like the extra spring to be a little broken in. Unless you're wanting to strengthen your left hand.

I don't have a Barnett friction disc kit, nor do I have their pressure plate. I have used Barnett friction discs on other bikes, both on and off-road.

My experience with the Barnetts is that they tend to stick-together needing that first engagement of the day to pop them loose, better cover the brake when you toe it into gear. I've always used the stock Yamaha friction discs, and have been happy with the use I've gotten out of them.

The stock diaphragm spring has worked OK for me, I never have seen the need to change it. If you have one of the 'window' engine clutch case covers, you get to view the pretty anodized Barnett pressure plate, considerably more eye-catching than the stock pressure plate.

I did the Barnett clutch kit. I’d do it again, and if I thought another was a good option as well I’d try that as well if I was in the market. I didn’t do the DD because I just don’t like that design period. It’s all on preference, performance and your wallet. A lot of guys like the DD mod, or going other routes as well. I’m pretty sure Barnett claims up to 30% more grab. Any clutch mod is worth it in my opinion, especially if you are already in there because it’s gone bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up and running like a charm, also found a bad coil connector that was causing the idle to hunt, the connector was not charging the coil intermittently. This time it cost me some solder and shrinkable butt connectors.

Latest posts

Back