Vmax oil filter cap/ case fabrication problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zseven1

Reaction score
Hey guys! A year or so ago I decided to get my first road bike. 1993 Vmax. The seller told me to check this site out if I ever needed anything. I'm new here, I may be looking in the wrong place. Nevertheless, I was wondering if any of you guys have the same problem I have. An object clipped the bottom lip of the flat piece of the engine case where the oil filter cap mounts flush against. I had my local welder to get the piece put back in place. I put the new filter and filter cap/ o ring back on (after adding oil), and gave it a try. The piece wasn't welded authentically flat, so it started pouring oil. We tried using a bigger o ring, then tried liquid gasket and the problem still exists. From the research I have came up with one more option, which is a new case. For the labor and case I'm looking at about $1,000. Before I go that route I wanted to see if anyone knows anything else that works. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

JB Weld and a straight edge.

It seems to work shockingly well. I'm sure someone else might have a better idea but that was my go to thought. I would never guarantee it to work but I would try it on mine to avoid replacing large chunks of the engine. I would imagine that if nothing else it could be trued up enough so that a light smear of RTV would seal it up nice. I have used it for various things with success.

This is the part where someone else comes in with a much better idea and then I look insane.:clapping:

So the oil filter mounting surface broke, you tried to have the broken piece welded back in-place, but it's not flat-enough to allow a good seal for the oil filter to be mounted?

Leaving the engine in-place and trying to surface it probably isn't gonna do it. If the JB Weld doesn't take, I think you might have to pull the engine to allow a surfacing of the area where the filter mounts to get it flat-enough so the oil filter o-ring seals.

You also might try one of those remote oil filter adapters. I've seen a couple VMax'es using them where the oil filter is mounted to a frame downtube. Hoses run to the front-of-the-engine original oil filter location. Maybe a double-gasket there would take-up the difference in the uneven surface?

You might try cork gasket, it may be more form fit than rubber? Just a guess

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Or, use a remote filter and call it done. Worst case you could simply run a bypass loop and just do more frequent oil changes. A hell of a lot cheaper then a new engine. The lower case should not be swapped out by itself though I have seen it done. They are normally machined as a matching assembly.

Attachments

• Broken Block Repair 2.jpg
    Broken Block Repair 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1028002029a.jpg
    1028002029a.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1028002032.jpg
    1028002032.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back