Proper o-ring placement on needle jet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkdenton

Reaction score
Hi all, Bill Denton here, retread newbie. Had a '97 about 10 years ago, sold it but now have a '99 that I'm working on. I have a question about proper placement of o-ring #33 on the needle jet #34. In the sticky called Carb rebuild parts 1-6, the o-ring is being placed onto the needle jet on the bowl side of the carb body so that it sits between the body and the jet block. However, on my carbs the orings were placed onto the needle jet on the throat side of the carb body, sandwiched between the body and the upper lip of the needle jet. Now, I know that at least one po has been into these carbs, and there were several issues that I needed to repair, so I can't be certain that the placement of the orings that I found upon disassembly were correct or not. So, I'm looking for verification as to where these o-rings should "actually" be placed, i.e. where mine were found or where the author of the carb rebuild sticky placed his. Pls advise, tks.

It belongs on inside of the bowl.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest way to remember is to roll the o-ring onto the needle jet all the way to the top then slide the needle jet down the hole-that way the o-ring stays inside the float bowl.:clapping:

Easiest way to remember is to roll the o-ring onto the needle jet all the way to the top then slide the needle jet down the hole-that way the o-ring stays inside the float bowl.:clapping:

:ummm: Put the needle jet in the hole from the carb throat side, then slide the o-ring down the needle jet from the float chamber side....then the gasket....then the jet block.

Since the needle jet installs through the top, following this procedure would put the o-ring on the carb throat side, which is where my o-rings were on disassembly. Am I starting to get a sense that there's disagreement on o-ring placement?

I call it emulsion tube, you call it needle jet, yomohoe calls it main nozzle.

We can all disagree on nomenclature. However, we should agree on installation.

The tube gets installed thru the carb throat.

Hold your finger over it and flip the carb.

Slide the O-ring into place.

Then the gasket.

Install the jet block.

O-ring towards float, NOT throat.
I think I heard some guys chanting that at thunder.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Since the needle jet installs through the top, following this procedure would put the o-ring on the carb throat side, which is where my o-rings were on disassembly. Am I starting to get a sense that there's disagreement on o-ring placement?

Ok my fault---I slide the needle jet through the hole and THEN place the o-ring around it and roll it up-this will be keeping the o-ring in the float bowl----hope the photo helps.:clapping:

Attachments

• o=ring.jpg
    o=ring.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 22

No disagreement, just fact. Dannymax has rebuilt more Vmax Carbs than most of us combined. And is THE carb go to guy. +1 Bowl side. Yours was in wrong.

Thanks to all for your timely and informative responses, I really appreciate it. My comment regarding disagreement about where the o-ring goes was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I know there are a lot of very experienced vmax owners on this forum. Since I just got this Max in May I'm still sorting out all the the things that the po eff'd up, and w/o a reference model its sometimes hard to determine whats right or wrong. It doesn't help that my shop manual is a bad reprint with washed out b/w photos that are useless for reference purposes.

Best regards,
Bill in Yardley, PA

Thanks to all for your timely and informative responses, I really appreciate it. My comment regarding disagreement about where the o-ring goes was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I know there are a lot of very experienced vmax owners on this forum. Since I just got this Max in May I'm still sorting out all the the things that the po eff'd up, and w/o a reference model its sometimes hard to determine whats right or wrong. It doesn't help that my shop manual is a bad reprint with washed out b/w photos that are useless for reference purposes.

Best regards,
Bill in Yardley, PA

Maybe this will help---:clapping:

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf

No disagreement, just fact. Dannymax has rebuilt more Vmax Carbs than most of us combined. And is THE carb go to guy. +1 Bowl side. Yours was in wrong.

I think he was referring to my reply as i was just going by memory and it has been a while since i opened a set---:bang head:

Latest posts

Back