85' right where I want her and time to sell... LOL

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRBishop

Reaction score
Finished up my 85' to get it to look how I wanted and I think it is time for a new project! LOL... I have all the original parts as well. What do you think it is worth? 29k miles. Runs amazing. Tires are BRAND new (50 miles?), new battery, new filter and carbs just cleaned up.

00404_5hZhnOjcEmw_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_feia1o6FH2w_1200x900.jpg

00y0y_ehSZe89aAB8_1200x900.jpg

00808_it7rAGDTuRr_1200x900.jpg

01414_jAA8J7PR5d_1200x900.jpg

I'll let the more knowledgeable crowd answer but I just sold mine yesterday for $6000.00

It had 7900 miles on it and was a '99

I would take a stab at guessing and say yours is maybe $4500.00??

I probably am way off though, lol.

I agree with Regular Guy. It's worth a good 4,500 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let the more knowledgeable crowd answer but I just sold mine yesterday for $6000.00

If I was to keep it and do something else I'd get that same delkevic exhaust that you have. I've seen videos of it it sounds awesome! Real throaty right?

Looks like a decent cosmetic restoration. You must be short, you really pulled-up the downtubes in the triples. I suppose that might make the bike feel-better to a short person trying the bike on, but it severely lowers your lean angle before hard parts start dragging the pavement. The new fork balance tube is sure to mystify the neophyte. You are setting up the new rider to have an impact between the radiator and the front fender, when you put the top triple tree below the downtubes' balance tube brackets. That could cause a loss of control, and a nasty crash.

And, once they feel the Kendas lack of grip, they will definitely be ready for an upgrade, assuming they haven't crashed by then. I've had new Kendas on bikes with half the horsepower of a VMax and those were scary. I have no experience with the Kruz line, but I think they are probably for V-Twins rather than V-4's with > 100 RWHP.

I strongly suggest you take into consideration my comments, to reduce your liability once the ownership transfers. The last thing you expect to get after making a used-bike sale is a notice of service for a tort action from the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe because the new owner is lying in the hospital, and you are considered liable for modifying the motorcycle's suspension so as-to create an unsafe condition which caused the new owner to lose control during a panic stop.

Last edited:
Looks like a decent cosmetic restoration. You must be short, you really pulled-up the downtubes in the triples. I suppose that might make the bike feel-better to a short person trying the bike on, but it severely lowers your lean angle before hard parts start dragging the pavement. The new fork balance tube is sure to mystify the neophyte. You are setting up the new rider to have an impact between the radiator and the front fender, when you put the top triple tree below the downtubes' balance tube brackets. That could cause a loss of control, and a nasty crash.

And, once they feel the Kendas lack of grip, they will definitely be ready for an upgrade, assuming they haven't crashed by then. I've had new Kendas on bikes with half the horsepower of a VMax and those were scary. I have no experience with the Kruz line, but I think they are probably for V-Twins rather than V-4's with > 100 RWHP.

I strongly suggest you take into consideration my comments, to reduce your liability once the ownership transfers. The last think you expect to get after making a used-bike sale is a notice of service for a tort action from the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe because the new owner is lying in the hospital, and you are considered liable for modifying the motorcycle's suspension so as-to create an unsafe condition which caused the new owner to lose control during a panic stop.

So what do you think it is worth? Ha ha ha... Buyer beware! Sold as is as show. PS. I am 5' 11" ;)

I think it all depends on the market in your area and the buyer.
I just bought my 93 with 10500 mi for $2400.
It was just dirty, completely original in mint cond.
Just the way I like them.
He was asking $3500 BUT it hadn't run for 3yrs and was smoking really bad.
I took a gamble and offered him the 2400 figuring in at least a valve seal job HOPEFULLY !
It stopped smoking and I was lucky!
As far as liability AFTER you sell it, I'll have to ask my wife to ask her bosses.
If your going to push the limits of this bike BEYOND it's limits, you need your head examined.
Tires, fork height ect is the least of your problems.
If that's the case, Yamaha is still responsible for making this bike in the 1st place.
Maybe even previous owners.
Hell, 99% of this forum couldn't ride my son's KX 85 to it's potential!

Think I'm wrong?
Go to an open practice at your local MX track!
VERY humbling experience.

Why do you think that repair shops have to carry liability insurance? They work on something, the vehicle is involved in a crash, the owner lying in a hospital bed is watching Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, and in-between the "Billy, the baby boy IS your child!" and "Latonsha, how do you feel after your husband had an out-of-wedlock baby girl with your best friend?" are the lawyers' ads, trolling for accident victims: "if you've been injured in a vehicle accident, it's probably the shop's fault, or the manufacturer's! Call our hotline for a no-cost consultation, no recovery, no fees from you are due to us. We are the lawyers who will get results!" and "Singer, Itchtoe, and Mean got me $850,000!"

I'm not trying to beat you up over this, I'm just suggesting that you are putting yourself in a potentially liable situation where you don't need to be. The accident happens. The victim calls one of those personal-injury attorneys, maybe from an ad he sees in the local ABATE free publication, on the counter at most of the bike shops, after seeing the ad, "been involved in an accident? Call our legal team, we fight for you. Call now, 'the attorneys who ride,' no recovery, no fee!" What does the recuperating guy have to lose? The attorney firm collects the bike from the police impound yard where it's been sitting, and starts to examine possible contributing causes to the owner's crash. The radiator is caved-in, the front fender is broken where it hit the radiator, and the forensic expert compares the condition of the bike to the factory service manual. "What's this? A non-standard fork air-pressure balance tube, and the downtubes are raised two and a half inches in the triple trees! My opinion is that when the motorcyclist panic-braked to avoid the left-turning motorist, the front wheel hit the radiator and its shroud, locking-up the front wheel, causing the bike to break its tire contact patch, and highside in a loss of control. And, the fork air pressure in the downtubes was empty instead of the factory setting of 5-14 psi! That contributed to a loss of control, and the balance tube is a non-standard part! My suggestion is to request a jury trial. We're going after the guy who sold our accident victim this unsafe, altered-from factory specs in its suspension motorcycle. What are the limits of his policy coverage?"

You (the O.P) did a decent job getting it ready for the flip (except for, in my opinion, the issues I raised), but when you leave it in the condition it's displaying in the pics you posted, your liability is more-than I would be willing to accept as a 'flipper.'

Let me give you an example of this: Three firefighters were transporting an elderly patient to the hospital in the middle of the night. It wasn't a 'code 3' run, lights and siren, the patient had a serious but at the time stable condition, but needed to receive evaluation at the E.R. and treatment to help her long-term recovery.

The firefighters were having the patient transported in a private-duty ambulance, and the fire-rescue paramedic was riding in that ambulance while the EMT-firefighter and paramedic-firefighter co-worker were in the fire-rescue ambulance in-front of them on our way to the hospital. The fire dept ambulance merged onto the interstate and were about a half-mile down the road when they heard the private-duty ambulance call the fire-rescue ambulance on the radio, clearly stressed-out. "Guys, return to the entrance ramp to the interstate, the vehicle is lying on its side, we flipped negotiating the on-ramp! I'm ok but the patient is clearly in distress!"

When they returned to the accident, sure-enough, there's the ambulance on its side, and the patient is strapped-into the stretcher which is now suspended sideways in the air, hanging from the stretcher locking mechanism. The fire-rescue ambulance crew had called for an engine company back-up, they arrived, and they extricated the woman from the accident vehicle, transferred her to the fire-rescue ambulance, and delivered her to the hospital, worse for the wear. Within less than a year, she died. She had multiple health issues before the accident, and the trauma she sustained certainly wasn't helpful. Was her death directly a result of the ambulance accident? No, but arguably, it was contributory, an issue for the attorneys, a judge, and jury to decide.

The private ambulance driver was in a quandry. After the accident, the ambulance was transported to the police impound yard. When the private ambulance driver got released, he went home and got his camera, and he returned to the police impound yard. It had been raining that night, the streets were wet, and vehicular traction was not optimal. The ambulance hydroplaned on rain-slick pavement, the driver lost-control, and the vehicle went onto its side. The fact it had multiple worn tires past the 'replace' indicators, with smooth no-tread bands obviously didn't help. So the private ambulance driver took pictures of the ambulance including all four worn tires.

Subsequently, he got word that the private duty ambulance company owner was likely going to be blaming him as the cause of the accident, due to his negligent driving behavior. He got an attorney, and the bald tires pictures were shown to the person who would be most-interested in seeing them, the ambulance sitting in the police impound yard with its bald tires.

What didn't help the private ambulance owner's cause was that the next day, after the accident, the vehicle was examined in the police impound yard, and all four wheels got brand-new replacement tires! Yes, after the accident, 'someone' recognizing the liability potential of worn components on an emergency vehicle, had all four tires replaced. But, this was after the emergency vehicle operator who was behind the wheel that night of the accident, took pictures of it with bald tires!

The private duty ambulance driver started driving-around in a Jaguar. I never asked him about the outcome, I didn't have to. He was never prosecuted for negligent driving that night. And I heard the ambulance company had a large settlement against them, from the estate of the elderly passenger that night.

Don't leave your finances subject to risk that you don't need to experience, with some forethought.

I think it all depends on the market in your area and the buyer.
I just bought my 93 with 10500 mi for $2400.
It was just dirty, completely original in mint cond.
Just the way I like them.
He was asking $3500 BUT it hadn't run for 3yrs and was smoking really bad.
I took a gamble and offered him the 2400 figuring in at least a valve seal job HOPEFULLY !
It stopped smoking and I was lucky!
As far as liability AFTER you sell it, I'll have to ask my wife to ask her bosses.
If your going to push the limits of this bike BEYOND it's limits, you need your head examined.
Tires, fork height ect is the least of your problems.
If that's the case, Yamaha is still responsible for making this bike in the 1st place.
Maybe even previous owners.
Hell, 99% of this forum couldn't ride my son's KX 85 to it's potential!

Think I'm wrong?
Go to an open practice at your local MX track!
VERY humbling experience.

No kidding. Those Kenda Kruz tires come as OE on my Scout (puts ~98hp to the wheel) and even mildly spirited driving had them slipping out all over the place. OE tires tend to be lousy, but these were the first that were so bad I felt the need to swap them out before they wore out. And in the rain? Absolutely terrifying. I could be in 6th gear, on the highway at maybe 50mph, dip into the gas and light up the rear. It was like being on ice.

I sold my '97, clean, close to 50k miles, lots of upgrades, after a long stint on CL and ebay, for $3200. There's a nice original condition '85 with a few tasteful upgrades that's been on the local CL for $3700, and it's been there for several weeks now. I called the guy for grins and he agreed to $3200 pretty quickly.

I'd probably start it at $3500 and go from there. Unfortunately, if your bike was original and stock, it would be an easier sell. A collector who might be willing to pay premium prices wants a collectible- i.e as stock and original as possible. More informed buyers who just know they want a Vmax generally aim for 93 and newer's, of which there are loads of nice options in the 3k range.

Not to rain on your parade, I'm guessing that will sell somewhere between $2500 and $3000.

If someone got $6k for an '85, it must have been in world class condition, and/or the equivalent of hitting the powerball with the buyer.

Glad to hear you got $6K out of her. It's a shame we never got to ride together.

You can sell anything used... modified or not... and something can happen. You cover yourself with a well detailed used auto bill of sale. In most states, sales between individuals are presumed to be "as-is." As-is meaning the vehicle is being sold with all faults and the seller is not liable for any future repairs/issues and is not promising to make any. What you see is what you get. As long as you are honest, outline everything on the BOS and both parties sign... you are good to go...

A private seller does not carry the same responsibility as a manufacturer or licensed repair shop. That's the whole deal behind a "licensed repair shop". Namely, they have to carry suitable liability insurance in case a mistake on the shops part leads to an accident/injury/property damage. Doctors have this. Virtually any person selling a "professional" service has to carry insurance against mistakes, in order to legally sell that service.

Years ago my mom brought her car to a Midas for a semi major service, at 150k or something. It was a '99 Acura TL, had been a flawlessly reliable car. Drove the car about 5 miles home from Midas and parked it. Drove fine. Notice an odd smell, burnt oil once I get out. Figure they probably spilled a little oil on the engine and it's cooking off. Minute later flames are lapping out of the front wheel wells, shortly after ward the car is a fireball, and it burned the garage down, destroying another car, a boat, generator, two snowmobiles, and a bunch of other stuff. There was almost nothing left of the car. The block of the engine, seat frames, and afew other bits were all that was left. The mostly aluminum engine had melted, the alloy wheels were puddles. The fire department took well over an hour to show up (station 3 miles down the road), it'd pretty much burned out by the time they arrived, so there was nada, zippo left of the place.

Clearly, Midas screwed up. They spilled a ton of oil that got on the exhaust/cats, probably transmission fluid, that ignited from the heat. A fire investigator went through the scene, but there was so little left he couldn't make any sort of conclusion about what caused it. Consulted with a couple lawyers, but none would take the case. All said cases like this are extremely difficult to prove fault. The "accident" usually obscures- or introduces room for doubt- any wrongdoing from a mechanic. If we'd had statements from fire investigators suggesting the fire was caused, or evidence was found of a mistake by Midas- say, residue of oil on the exhaust, they may have filed a suit with the hope of a settlement a.k.a hush money from their insurance.

Private persons are not expected to be mechanics. People drive cars around with dangerous defects every day that have no knowledge of it. They're not held responsible if that defect manifests down the road. Could a future owner start calling lawyers and making baseless claims that the bike/previous owner was at fault? Sure, that doesn't mean it's going to go anywhere. As-Is. Buyer Beware. That's the whole point of a bill of sale.

Texas implemented a system a few years ago that when you privately sell a vehicle, you can immediately report it to DMV online to absolve your responsibility for the vehicle. If an accident occurs before they have transferred the car to their name, you are not responsible.

Latest posts

Back