Starter relay relocating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those with different model regulator over the battery, where did you move the starter relay? Pics would be nice.

To continue our facebook post, lol.

I am thinking about putting the new R/R under the seat in the space that the tool pack would go. Would that not solve everything?

It would...and when I started planning this that's where I was thinking too. I'll see how it goes over the battery. Bill Seward pushed his relay over to the left but no matter how much I tried on mine, those heavy gauge wires just didn't want to cooperate. I put mine over on the right...everything just seemed to lay in place easier. Cut the three pieces that hold the relay & fuse, going to try to make something that will let me bolt the new regulator to the coil bracket.

It would...and when I started planning this that's where I was thinking too. I'll see how it goes over the battery. Bill Seward pushed his relay over to the left but no matter how much I tried on mine, those heavy gauge wires just didn't want to cooperate. I put mine over on the right...everything just seemed to lay in place easier. Cut the three pieces that hold the relay & fuse, going to try to make something that will let me bolt the new regulator to the coil bracket.

Cool! If you could post pics, I'd love to see what you come up with for the final install.

This is where I'm at so far. Cut the tabs for main fuse & starter relay.

Attachments

• IMG_4189 resize.jpg
    IMG_4189 resize.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4190 resize.jpg
    IMG_4190 resize.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 38
Cut those tabs, don't just flatten them. I had the plate work loose, and the plate shorted to battery. I just used a big ass zip tie to hold regulator in place. In hindsight, maybe I should have put both of the screws that held the plate in... Oops!

I cut about 2 or 3 plastic ties from the bundle of wires on the left side. I removed the battery. It made getting to some of the wiring much easier to get to. Stock r/r connectors are those 2 white connectors up near the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_4200 resize.jpg
    IMG_4200 resize.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 26
Cut off the main fuse holder, starter relay holder & the 4 tabs that originally held the stock coils. Ground off any rough edges & wrapped with electrical tape just for good measure.

Attachments

• IMG_4203 resize.jpg
    IMG_4203 resize.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 20
I move the starter relay towards the battery negative side, main fuse stayed on the positive side. Zip ties hold the R1 unit in place.

Attachments

• IMG_4207 resize.jpg
    IMG_4207 resize.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29
I may redo the pos/neg wires with right angle spade connectors to get a more direct shot towards the battery posts. Overall I'm okay with it...wish I could clean things up a little bit better but there's so much going on underneath the seat. The bike fired right up so I can't complain too much.

Shawn, bravo my man! Thanks so much for documenting this and taking pictures as you went. It will be a big help to anyone wanting to mount a R/R under the seat. I plan on doing mine today or tomorrow or both (might get started today in between doing honey do stuff, lol). I am going to look into other potential spots but if I decide on under the seat, I'll have this thread open on my tablet out in the garage ;)

Thanks again!

No problem Guy. One thing I forgot to mention, about the connectors on the bike wire harness the stock r/r connects to. I cut them of the stock r/r, taped up the ends & just snapped them back in place on the bike's connectors.

Shawn, I took my bike out for a little ride today, just to get it up to a good temp. I rode it mostly normal, had a little stretch where I clicked through some gears in a hurry (always makes me grin!) and then putted on home. Pulled in the garage and checked my R/R to see how hot it got. That sumbitch was HOT. Not warm, not a little hot but HOT! I know it's mosfet but I was expecting it to be warmish, not "cook an egg" hot. Could you check yours for me the next time you ride and see if it's hot? I imagine since it's out of airflow like mine and under the seat (albeit yours is under the front and mine the back) that it too will be hot. I may have to mount in another location if this is deemed a problem. Internet searches say that non mosfet R/Rs NEED air but that the mosfet doesn't. I also read that they only get warm. Mine has exceeded warm!

Latest posts

Back