Dman999

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're leaving to get the bike in a few minutes. Our offer to get the bike up and running was politely refused by Dennis, so we're taking the machine to his place, where he can determine damage, and do repairs when he is able.

Hang on the what you've got, folks - He's gonna need some parts for sure!

Thanks again..

Bill
Thanks Bill and All my other Vmax Brothers for the generous offers.
I plan on fixing my Max over the winter/spring with Bill's (and a few other friends) help.

I've got my Max in the garage but I am not mobile enough to go look at it yet.
It will be at least a month, if not more, before I can get out to the garage.
I'll post a parts list once I can tear into it and fully assess the damage.

Thank you all, this thread has definitely made the idea of fixing my Vmax much less daunting than it previously was. :)

I was on my way to work at fire-rescue here in So. FL about 30 years-ago, and while crossing a bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway, I was side-swiped by an older driver who didn't look before he decided he was in the wrong lane while on the bridge approach ramp. I braked hard, and tried to allow him to continue on in-front of me to complete his lane-change, but his left-rear bumper caught the front of my front tire, and down-I-went. Third degree burns and I could see the sheath over my right kneecap when I came-to a stop, after tumbling perilously-close to the bridge grating where it opens. That would have sliced me like a Veg-O-Matic!

Thankfully, no-one behind me ran me over, and the noise caused people on the street living next-to the bridge to come-out of their homes. I asked one to call 911 and another one I gave my station # to say, "I won't be in today." Guys from my shift showed-up w/a truck and got my bike loaded-up to avoid the tow/storage, they brought it home for me. I was eight days in the hospital and 2-1/2 months out of work.

After I got home, I found that the only significant damage was a handlebar, and an engine side cover, and the accessory windshield. The engine was fine. I stared at that bike for a month before my damaged hands were healed-enough to allow me to investigate the bike. Take your time, the bike will always be there, and you need to heal first.

I did have about 28 sessions, an hour-each, in a hyperbaric chamber just like the one Michael Jackson was using, made in West Germany. Man, if I was rich, I'd have one of those and use it most-days! Yes, if you're claustrophobic, probably not-for-you, but this one was about 2" thick Perspex or lexan, so it wasn't like being in a coffin, visually. I'd come-out of there, feeling like a million bucks! They usually put me at 2 bar pressure, and it's 100% O2. The wounds seemed to benefit from it, and the MD was my Medical Director at fire-rescue. This is the company.

Soon-enough you will be working on your bike, just make-sure you're not going to risk septic infection by trying to do things too-soon.

Thanks Bill and All my other Vmax Brothers for the generous offers.
I plan on fixing my Max over the winter/spring with Bill's (and a few other friends) help.

I've got my Max in the garage but I am not mobile enough to go look at it yet.
It will be at least a month, if not more, before I can get out to the garage.
I'll post a parts list once I can tear into it and fully assess the damage.

Thank you all, this thread has definitely made the idea of fixing my Vmax much less daunting than it previously was. :)

I just talked to Eric (Traumahawk) on the phone and I just wanted to give him a public Thank You.
He's sending some calipers, levers, mirrors, etc. out tomorrow.
They will be a big help when I start repairing the damage caused by my crash.

So, Thank You Eric !!!!!!!!

You are very welcome my friend. As you and I talked about...this is one of the reasons why I love this forum...being part of the Vmax brotherhood...and helping each other out.

Dennis I got rotors and a front fender. Had calipers levers with masters and mirrors too lol if the bike needs a paint job I'm more than willing to do it. I also have handle bars

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dennis I got rotors and a front fender. Had calipers levers with masters and mirrors too lol if the bike needs a paint job I'm more than willing to do it. I also have handle bars

Thanks,
I'll definitely be talking to you, once I figure out exactly what I need.
I do need the Bars and possibly the fender and I'm definitely going to Paint it.
Once I'm actually walking again I'll get to work prepping the Body parts and picking a color, then we can figure it all out.
Right now I'm thinking Emerald Green Metallic (but I'm not sure yet):
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/
I'm thinking me and Bill Seward and maybe our friend Glenn will take a ride (in a car) out your way and check out your new place and get what I need for the bike. But that's all a few Months away, probably February or maybe even March.

If you need em, ive got a set of front and rear stock turn signals in good shape that you can have.

Sounds good dennis. I only sprayed metallic once it came out all right tho. It can be finicky. Just make sure its a single stage paint. A lot easier to work with rather than having to buy clear coat. I really like napa single stage urethane. Thats what I got on my bike. It martin senours paint made by Sherwin Williams

Sounds good dennis. I only sprayed metallic once it came out all right tho. It can be finicky. Just make sure its a single stage paint. A lot easier to work with rather than having to buy clear coat. I really like napa single stage urethane. Thats what I got on my bike. It martin senours paint made by Sherwin Williams

Nice, I've never painted a bike (or car), so any advice is definitely appreciated.
I like this color too:
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-jaded-green.html
So something along those lines should work right.
I'll definitely talk to you before I actually buy any paint though.
I'm just really digging the Dark metallic greens, (that almost look black in the shade) it might just be the Irish in me. ;)

If you need em, ive got a set of front and rear stock turn signals in good shape that you can have.
If you don't mind, I'd love to have them just in case I end up needing them.
I had aftermarket signals but ta least 2 of them are damaged.
I might go back to Stock just for the extra visibility.

Latest posts

Back