Buying 20 yr old bike? Pulling the trigger tomorrow, talk me down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misoguy

Reaction score
Hello good folks, thanks so much for the advice so far.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TMnyE3YEx8LUzf7z1

I mentioned in a previous thread that I've previously owned a 1981 CB750K and a 2002 Kawi concours 1000. The knowledge is worth something I'm sure; I know how to take care of vintage bikes. But honestly I never want to deal with carbs, valves, chains again.

I live in the mountains of Japan. I had in mind a little 249cc dealie to take me on some small roads.

Then a guy I know offered me the bike in the pics above. I took it out for a few hours today on some small paved roads--one lane and switchbacks much of the way. It wasn't the perfect environment for the V-max but it did pretty well despite my appropriate nervousness.

It's a 1998 Canada machine with 8800 km on the clock. Stock I think except for frame braces and aftermarket speedo that sucks and that I would put back to stock soon. Grips are not in great shape. Other than that, fork dust seals are slightly cracking but no residue on the forks, and valve cover gasket is cracking a bit but no problem. Idle is strong. Warm start, 2nd gear seem fine. I will get service records from the shop that serviced it here.

The sticker price was US$3500 when my friend bought it; he traded a bike in and got it for US$2500. He wants to sell it to me for US$2000, and will give me a fitting helmet and gloves too (starting over on gear here). Tires are new.

Insurance will be $850, $750, and $550 for the first three years due to how Japan structures their system.

I don't have money sitting around but this seems like too good a deal to be true. What do I need to double-check before taking it?

If you have ridden it and it seems OK then it probably is but....

Have a read of

Service check sheet here.

I’d buy it, if you already rode it for a bit then you kinda have an idea of the bikes needs. No negative thoughts of the ride, if you were grinning ear to ear while riding it, BUY IT [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back