HOW TO: rebuild your starter motor (and eliminate Hot Starting problems)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone in looking for full service kit for starter motor,i just bought one £27 inc postage.They do ship worldwide but this is probably better for UK residents. http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/

Kit came within 24hrs of ordering.Lovely sunny day so straight out and on with the job.Not a great deal of hassle to do but being unfamiliar with water cooled bikes just took my time.The brushes were shot and the inners of the casing needed thorough cleaning.Now spinning over like it should and i'm a happy man apart from woke up this morning to normal rainy Britain.

Last edited:
Hi guys is there a reason why I can’t see any of the pictures on this post? I took my starter apart but only received my rebuild kit a couple weeks after and can’t remember where the brush end connects on the insulated brush bracket. If you understand what I’m trying to say

Ditto markxiii. I'd like to do this work on my bike, and the images would be super helpful, if there's a way to get them back.

Ditto markxiii. I'd like to do this work on my bike, and the images would be super helpful, if there's a way to get them back.
Well I managed to get it all back together, once I looked at the old brush plate.

Despite no pictures i was able to tear down my starter using the discription and the good news is i dont have left over parts, no skinned knuckles at least but my starter isnt the problem it was clean and dry inside.

Next step is to charge the battery to full and see if its charge/crimp related, if not i will have to bring it in to a shop to have the starter clutch inspected as i believe that is above my skillset lol

Despite no pictures i was able to tear down my starter using the discription and the good news is i dont have left over parts, no skinned knuckles at least but my starter isnt the problem it was clean and dry inside.

Next step is to charge the battery to full and see if its charge/crimp related, if not i will have to bring it in to a shop to have the starter clutch inspected as i believe that is above my skillset lol
We had a guy up here with the same issue on the starter clutch. Over at Morley's Muscle on the video page towards the bottom there are a couple of videos on how to inspect and disassemble the starter clutch.

https://www.morleysmuscle.com/videos/

Thanks for the how to but something like that at the moment is above my paygrade plus i dont have parts readily available if something is broken or i break something in the process. I will take it to have it fixed properly.

Luck? No luck needed when all i have to do is throw money at it lol
That's not entirely accurate. Many shops wont even touch it due to its age. Those that do will probably charge you so much money your nose will bleed and not guarantee it on top of that.

So, yeah. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back