Slow starting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m having some trouble starting my bike. I know it sounds extremely remedial, but that’s my issue. I did extensive work this winter with wheels and fork swap. I did check valve clearance, and re painted a couple covers that needed it. Batter from last year had a dead cell so I had gotten a new battery, and followed the procedure to the t. Hit the button, and it couldn’t turn over any slower. Makes about two, three revolutions, and is done. Battery rebounds well, bike just won’t go. I pulled all the wires under the seat, put new connectors on them, and cleaned all of my terminal, and wire ends. Still the same issue. Anyone been here lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground wires are always suspect if the battery is OK. A weak starter can also cause the symptom you described.

Ground wires are always suspect if the battery is OK. A weak starter can also cause the symptom you described.

I did clean the ground wires up, and where they mount as well. The starter is like two or three years old, and worked perfect when I put the bike away in the fall. I guess I could remove the starter and do god knows what to it. The terminal on the starter and wire end at starter both look good, so idk. It’s starting to really piss me off tho. I been messing with it for two days now. One thing I did find in a thread that I’m guilty of is not using a gasket for the stator cover. But, it seems very hard to believe that there isn’t .040 clearance in there.

Put a gasket in!
Many posts on this forum warn that it is absolutely needed to maintain proper clearances

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Put a gasket in!
Many posts on this forum warn that it is absolutely needed to maintain proper clearances

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

After doing a lot more reading, and seeing more then once the gasket reference, I feel I learned the hard way. First time not using a gasket, and will be the last. Thank you guys for the replies, I will be addressing that issue today, and update the results. I’m hoping, a fire breathing Vmax...

After doing a lot more reading, and seeing more then once the gasket reference, I feel I learned the hard way. First time not using a gasket, and will be the last. Thank you guys for the replies, I will be addressing that issue today, and update the results. I’m hoping, a fire breathing Vmax...

Well, the gasket made the difference. I wouldn’t have guess that would ever been the issue.

Isn't that amazing, that something so-small can make such a big difference?

I had a used bike I bought for next-to nothing, a KZ 305 Kawasaki. It had the same issue, it took a bit of sleuthing to figure it out. It was in great shape, it just needed some attention, but I couldn't get it to stay running because it was missing the thin paper gasket for the ignition cover, causing it to ground-out the ignition. Once I found that out (missing that gasket) looking at the microfiche, it started up and ran fine, which allowed me to flip it cheaply.

Isn't that amazing, that something so-small can make such a big difference?

I had a used bike I bought for next-to nothing, a KZ 305 Kawasaki. It had the same issue, it took a bit of sleuthing to figure it out. It was in great shape, it just needed some attention, but I couldn't get it to stay running because it was missing the thin paper gasket for the ignition cover, causing it to ground-out the ignition. Once I found that out (missing that gasket) looking at the microfiche, it started up and ran fine, which allowed me to flip it cheaply.

Yes, it definitely is. I had seen where someone had not used the gasket, might have been in another forum, but never seen a negative side until I had this problem, and scrolled our forum here and came across a reply from “miles “ to another member having slow start saying to check that, and also the replies here as well confirmed that wasn’t a good idea to do again.

Cheap flips are the best flips. Never flip bikes, but definitely flipped my fair share of cars

Latest posts

Back