Friends Ultralight crash

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
A friend and co-worker; Mike Nelms, got ultralight certified and bought a 'Skycycle' about 2 months ago. Sunday he hit a power line attempting to get to the airfield at his home. Wind and or warm weather may have caused it to not climb like he tried. He deployed the emergency chute but was too low and he fell through the power lines and was killed. We are still in shock. Looking over the landing site today I felt like it would be a difficult place to land. He had several hours of training and had just bought the machine. He was 52. RIP Mike...

Thanks for your condolences. He was a good guy and a Navy submarine vet. When he got the tiny aircraft, I must say I was a little jealous; thinking I may be too cautious. I don't know what happened. Witnesses say the little engine was screaming, but altitude was not increasing. He was returning home after cruising around the mountains. Now I'm sure I won't be getting one of those. It is in the impound yard at the local police station. It is mostly intact. Looks like it fell straight down after the wires contact. Apparently no one is going to inspect the engine or fuel. I guess they are calling it pilot error. Don't know much else, thanks for your thoughts...Mark

Wow, Atleast he didn't suffer long. Sorry that it happened. Condolences to everyone who was close.

Latest posts

Back