Backfire at almost every start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
Mostly after the bike had sat overnight or even for a few hours but when I choke it a little and start it it shoots off a gunshot loud backfire.i imagine it has something to do with the carbs.ideas?

I would associate a backfire with fuel being ignited when it shouldn't.
That isn't something not normally associated with blocked idle jets.

Is it through the exhaust or carb?

Does it do it from hot or does the choke need to be on?

Assuming it runs OK when started then I agree that it is most likely carb related but can't think of a likely cause.
Excess fuel via float or choke perhaps??? :ummm:

Hi Max,yes it does not do it once it's been warmed up.once it's warm I could start it a hundred times and never have it happen but the first start of the day or even after sitting for 4 or 5 hours it will sound like a gunshot straight out the tailpipe. I'm not sure if it's the same pipe everytime since I have a 4 into 2 jerker but the first start of the day is the hardest. Actually i believe it doesn't even matter if I use the choke or not on the first start it will still backfire. Maybe I can record a video of it on my phone.

As someone who has had to do the shotgun thing on more than one occasion, I also dont think its blocked jets causing this. Though doing a quick clean and check carb balance while you are at it has to help remove any concerns there and cant be bad.

Back