Starter works but bike won't run

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hani.eid123

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have an 06 vmax that I just rebuilt the carbs on. Also replaced the battery and the starter clutch, new plugs too. I get spark on all 4, it's not the brightest I've seen on a motorcycle but it looks sufficient. If you were me what would you check for? Any help would be appreciated. Again the starter spins the motor fine. I've tried all the combinations of throttle, no throttle, choke and no choke. Fresh gas.

Hey there,

I have an 06 vmax that I just rebuilt the carbs on. Also replaced the battery and the starter clutch, new plugs too. I get spark on all 4, it's not the brightest I've seen on a motorcycle but it looks sufficient. If you were me what would you check for? Any help would be appreciated. Again the starter spins the motor fine. I've tried all the combinations of throttle, no throttle, choke and no choke. Fresh gas.

Dump a little gas in each carb then see if she fires up. Careful. Trying to establish, spark or fuel as the issue, then go from there.
Steve-o

A cautionary note to the home mechanic:
The best way to do the below technique is outside your garage, carport, living room, or wherever you find yourself about to do this, if it's inside.

Also, have at least a 2.5 pound ABC dry chemical extinguisher in known operational condition, within arm's-reach. A 5 lb. is better. And it can't hurt to have a charged water hose, next-to your bike and the work area.

Things can and do go wrong when working with gasoline. I've been to enough fire calls where someone working with gasoline had an accident. Losing your garage, your home, or your life need not happen if you take a few precautions first. Plus, time in a burn ward is very painful.

Dump a little gas in each carb then see if she fires up. Careful. Trying to establish, spark or fuel as the issue, then go from there.
Steve-o

Have you checked for cylinder compression readings?
What did you gap the new plugs at?
Is this a bike you had running in the past or just picked up?
Did you change the fuel filter?
Check the pick up coils for proper resistance in Ohms.

Have you checked for cylinder compression readings?
What did you gap the new plugs at?
Is this a bike you had running in the past or just picked up?
Did you change the fuel filter?
Check the pick up coils for proper resistance in Ohms.

I haven't changed the fuel filter, the gas is free flowing though, the fuel pump work
. This bike hasn't run in a couple years.

What are the proper ohms for the coils?

What is the proper sparkplug gap?
I can't seem to find the info.

Last edited:
It has gas, it has, spark, new plugs gapped at .35mm still won't run.

I tested the ignition coils and the two wires that plug into the ignition coils. One of them read in kil ohms. What should I replace in that case?
PHP:

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
Can I also suggest that you only have one post for the same issue?
Decide if you wish to run with this post or 'Check out my multi-meter readings' post.

If it has fuel and spark then you only need compression to complete the required things to make any internal combustion engine work. Are you positive that you have fuel reaching the cylinders?

If it has fuel and spark then you only need compression to complete the required things to make any internal combustion engine work.

+1 on that..
Add a good battery and working Ignition Control Unit to the mix..

Are you positive that you have fuel reaching the cylinders?
Smell your tail pipe after a few cranks - if you don't smell raw fuel, you've got a blockage some where..

Don't know it this is relevant, but In my case, I needed a non-tampered with Coil Pick-Up, unit with the polarity correctly wired.. LOL!

I had to change the Coil Pick up unit because it would fire up when cold, but die as it warmed up.

After new PU unit was installed, it would crank strong, real nice spark. It made a loud knock when cranked. While holding down the start button, I would get maybe 2 revolutions on it own, with a backfire..

Decided to try a reverse polarity on coil pick up wire, since the new unit had odd colored wires.
(they did not match the stock color scheme).
Flipped the wires under the seat, it fired right up,,, been running fine ever since.

PS.. only reason for sharing all of this. We had another user here that was beating his head, trying to resolve a similar issue as mine.. He did not deem it important to mention that he had to disconnect and replace a broken coil pick up wire.. He didn't know that the wired were polarized and had them backwards. Once reversed, his bike fired right up.

Hope you get it nailed down quickly.

Latest posts

Back