Throttle cable snapped - anyone got a write up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Luckly wasn't too far from home; choked it back.

Anyone got a write up on replacing the throttle cable?

What particular part do I need?

Any other maintenance I should do while I'm in there?

There are 4 cables-2 push 2 pulls-you need to remove your left scoop and see exactly which one is broken. Either in the black box or at the handle or carb end.-The parts are on boats.net.

It may just be an issue at the throttle cable connector. Remove lh scoop and frame cover to find/ check. Both cables from throttle grip and both cables from carb meet in the cable connector.
Here is what you are looking for (part 10 & 11), LINK: http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50044300f8700209bc78ee47/steering-handle-cable
The screws are small so be careful when taking apart and it is a little bit of fun the first time you put it back together trying to get 4 cable ends fitted into the connector, put the cap back on and then put the small screws back in place. Just make sure you have throttles push/ pull cables on their matching sides with carbs push (close)/ pull (open) action.
Other things to check: cable barrel ends are intact,cables are not frayed and throttle cable adjusters work properly. I broke one of the throttle cable adjuster @ Thunder one year but a hose clamp and zip tie made it passable for the rest on the week and almost 700 mile ride home.

Last edited:
Not much to it.

As noted, pull the faux cover.
Pull the left scoop.
Follow the throttle cable and you will find a junction box.

Open the junction box and take the cables apart in there.

After that, Its pretty easy to pull the cables off either the throttle tube or carbs. Just need to find which end is broken.

There are service manuals in the VMF Links.

Back