Oil dripping

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdvmax

Reaction score
I have a slight oil drip. It's located at the left side crankcase cover. I think it's coming through the stator wires. I'll have to take the cover off to investigate. Where is the best place to purchase the big gasket at a reasonable price. And how do I go about stopping a leak at the stator wires if that is where the problem is. I don't think I can purchase the irregular o-ring around the wires fitting into the cover. Thank you.

Usually, silicone sealer is applied to the wires where they go through the grommet. Yamabond works for me. The gasket is readily available from Sean Morley or any parts distributor.

I'd just get it at a dealer. Boats.net was a good place to get parts online, but they seem to have stopped selling bike parts. They seem to be affiliated with partzilla.com... Try there?

Clean the gasket area well, both on case and cover. Last time I did a stator, I used silicone seal (black gasket sealer) on that 3 wire grommet. Goop a bit of sealer on the wires, then gently pull the grommet over the goopy part of the wires to the proper position. This will get the sealer into the grommet to seal the wires better. Put a bead of sealer right around the grommet to seal it to the case and cover.

Don't try to reassemble that cover without a gasket. You evidently need the spacing of the gasket thickness to keep things from rubbing inside the case. Wouldn't hurt to put sealer on the gasket, both sides, to make sure.

The big magnet in the flywheel may make removing the case cover tricky. It can hold things together more than you may expect.

Thank you. I like the idea of pulling the wires through with the sealer on it but the wires are surely soaked with oil and I think there is a braided insulation on the wires which is going to hold even more oil. I suppose the sealer must be applied to a very clean oil-free surface to allow it to work. Also I wish I had an applicator that was more precise to direct the sealer exactly where I want it. I wonder if anybody is ever found a sealer with such an applicator attached to it. Also do you think I need to let the sealer set up before I reassemble it or just glop it on there. This isn't the first time I've tried to stop this drip. Maybe I've been using the wrong stuff. Thank you

Latest posts

Back