Yamaha FZ-10

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regular Guy

Reaction score
I don't know why really, but I dig this bike!

U7QYQOL.jpg

I know it's not a cruiser but I like that it has a more upright riding position than say an R1 would have. It has plenty of juice as well. I think it'd be fun to ride.

I've read that people say that it's ugly, looks like a bug or a Transformer, lol. I like it despite it being different looking.

Anyone here have one or have ridden one? I am curious about the power it has. I've read that it has 140ish HP and I've read that it has 160ish. Either way I am sure it pulls at least as hard as my Max I'm guessing. It's also a lot lighter so I bet it's not too shabby and I already know it handles better. I know it doesn't have the "soul" that our maxes have but I bet it'd put a big stupid damn grin on my face!

I am trying to stop myself from buying one, lol. I need another payment about as much as I need a colonoscopy :rofl_200:

This is why many of us have more than one bike. I enjoy the max but for any rides over a day it's the Venture. Probably looking at a BMW GS at some point too for it's off pavement fun/games. I think this bike in the pic would look badass next to a Vmax, almost like they are natural stable mates.

I think this bike in the pic would look badass next to a Vmax, almost like they are natural stable mates.

You sir, are what is called an enabler :rofl_200:

You are not helping, lol! At this point the only way I think they'll be side by side is if I photoshop my max onto that picture. Maybe I'll do JUST that! Nope.....nope......if I do that, and they look badass as you say, it'll make it worse. :bang head:

That FZ does have a little scoop action goin' on doesn't it?

Jeez.......I have to find a way to sneak that sucker home.

I'd love to take on for a test ride. I'm not a big fan of the headlight setup. And of course, it will need a tail tidy. Other than that, I like it.

I'm sure it would be fun

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'd love to take on for a test ride. I'm not a big fan of the headlight setup. And of course, it will need a tail tidy. Other than that, I like it.

I'm sure it would be fun

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, there are several "deletion" kits available for it.

070BG131000_C_L.jpg

Me and a couple buddy's have been discussing this bike. Prior, looking at the fjr as only bike. Now, max stays and will look at this for my local fun bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and a couple buddy's have been discussing this bike. Prior, looking at the fjr as only bike. Now, max stays and will look at this for my local fun bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that's what I am debating. I'd LOVE to have it along with the Vmax but I need to focus on getting out of debt and then looking into one then. I could go and finance one sure, but that would lead to a divorce probably, lol!

I hope you get one and post when you do. I'll live vicariously through you for the time being :biglaugh:

Yep, that's what I am debating. I'd LOVE to have it along with the Vmax but I need to focus on getting out of debt and then looking into one then. I could go and finance one sure, but that would lead to a divorce probably, lol!

I hope you get one and post when you do. I'll live vicariously through you for the time being :biglaugh:

Enabler pt 2;

What you will save by not being married anymore will more than make up for the bike payments! It's all in the tricky guy math!:clapping:

I started a thread about this bike several months ago, .... i totally dig the performance aspect. like what a FUN bike. my thread had a great POV review in it, check it out. it's hilarious... nothing funny about the torque of this street peeler... I too think it'd look badass next to a classic max... do i want/need the payments? no. maybe next year or pick up a used one. they are a new model upgraded from the 9 or whatever it is...

I started a thread about this bike several months ago, .... i totally dig the performance aspect. like what a FUN bike. my thread had a great POV review in it, check it out. it's hilarious... nothing funny about the torque of this street peeler... I too think it'd look badass next to a classic max... do i want/need the payments? no. maybe next year or pick up a used one. they are a new model upgraded from the 9 or whatever it is...

Do you have a link for your thread? I'd love to read it. I guess I could just search for it.

I rode the FZ10 back in December when the Yamaha Demo Days were at the local dealer. With the crossplane crank, it sounds like a V4, pulls like a V4 down low, but still wails like a banshee on the top end. It's got all the modern goodies like traction control, abs, and riding modes, which are a revelation after 30 years of 1 mode, no tech bikes.

Very nice bike, feels good, rides good.

But the problem for me is that I have also ridden the Ducati Monster 1200S and 1200R, with the 'R' being a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10 for great rides. 1st time I have ever giggled in my helmet while twisting the throttle since I was a teen. Plus it looks pretty sweet (minus a bit of cooling hardware).

This past weekend I rode the Ducati XDiavel and was blown away. It pretty much is the direct spiritual descendant of the Gen 1 Max. But with more power, WAY better handling and on-command-wheelies!

Back on topic, if the FZ10 looked more like a motorcycle, and less like a bunch of parts thrown together it is good enough and priced low enough that I would probably be considering or maybe already own one. But it doesn't make me smile when I look at it. That's worth a lot to me.

I started a helpful thread about Winsol several months ago, .... i totally dig the performance aspect. like what a FUN bike. my thread had a great POV review in it, check it out. it's hilarious... nothing funny about the torque of this street peeler... I too think it'd look badass next to a classic max... do i want/need the payments? no. maybe next year or pick up a used one. they are a new model upgraded from the 9 or whatever it is...

It really is an amazing looking bike.

Last edited:
I had an FZ-8, it was a blast to ride. This is awesome looking but for an "Old Guy" riding comfort may be lacking and extra weight if it has some may be a deterrent, My Mustang GT just might be more fun and get 80% the gas mileage.

I'd strongly look at the FZ-09, especially since they just updated it this year. It's 98% of the fun, for 40% less money. My buddy had one and I rode it quite a bit, what a fun bike. The triple engine is a total peach, low end grunt was waaaay stronger than you'd expect, yet it was still eager to rev. My '15 Z1000 could never really get away from it aside from flat out top speed. Acceleration he was always right on my tail, and the engine in the 09 was more "playful" and "entertaining" than the Z1's four cylinder, despite it having more top end power.

The biggest difference between the 09 and 10 is in the suspension and gadgets. Sure, the 10 has more power, but to be totally honest it's just not needed. At absolutely no point riding the 09 did I feel it needed more power, or missed the 40hp extra my Z1000 had. Hell, even the 07 was a hoot to ride and by no means a slouch for power either.

I'd strongly look at the FZ-09, especially since they just updated it this year. It's 98% of the fun, for 40% less money. My buddy had one and I rode it quite a bit, what a fun bike. The triple engine is a total peach, low end grunt was waaaay stronger than you'd expect, yet it was still eager to rev. My '15 Z1000 could never really get away from it aside from flat out top speed. Acceleration he was always right on my tail, and the engine in the 09 was more "playful" and "entertaining" than the Z1's four cylinder, despite it having more top end power.

The biggest difference between the 09 and 10 is in the suspension and gadgets. Sure, the 10 has more power, but to be totally honest it's just not needed. At absolutely no point riding the 09 did I feel it needed more power, or missed the 40hp extra my Z1000 had. Hell, even the 07 was a hoot to ride and by no means a slouch for power either.

Thanks for the info but you know how it is when you want what you want :biglaugh:

I'll not be getting it anytime soon. If you've followed my posts you already know so I won't bore you with the details. It's just something that I am looking at for down the road. In a couple of years maybe. I'll get a used FZ-10 for a good deal hopefully. I sold the V-Max to basically move, so once I get the house sold and some $$$ back in the bank off of the sale, that's when I'll revisit the bike choices.

Latest posts

Back