May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there's something else going on there. I know it's a wasted spark because early and late models need to set the shift light to 2 cylinder.

I have a theory as to why they do the extra spark, but I may be totally off base. Would they do that do help ensure a more complete combustion of the gases in the combustion chamber. Knowing that most of the volitile gases are consumed in the intial flame front, would sparking again on the exhaust stroke provide a small amount more combustion, with the exhaust valve open so the gases escape the combustion chamber instead of pushing on the piston top, but not being hot enough to burn the valve surfaces. Thinking that it could either be an emissions "trick" or possibly to increase exhaust gas velocity. May be way off base, but you never know.

Does the HD XL1200 have dual plug heads? Seems I heard somewhere the do. If so, that might explain what you experienced.

Could it because there's only one ignition coil on the Harley? That's the only difference I can see other than ignition module itself. You're not running a Dyna 2000 are you? I know that was single fire.

That coil fires both cylinders at the same time....even though one cylinder might not be at end of compression at TDC.

That's the only reason I see. The XL fires both cylinders simultaneously. The Vmax fires one cylinder at a time but twice per 720 degrees.

Now that I think about it also when I had a friend of mine set my screw settings he used a inductive pick-up and he had it set to one pulse per cycle. not that it makes a huge difference but I was just wondering if there was a difference about the newer years ign. Well I did buy this used of course but there were not many things done to this bike at all what do the dana ign. look like so that I can see if mabie it is.

There is only one coil on a chevy v8 too but it doesn't mean that it fires at one time for all cylinders. I am currently working on a 95yzf600 that has had a ford excort coil put on it. It has a single pickup and a 4 coil pack. I know all 4 cylinders don't fire at once.

Sean

I agree Sean. The key there is you have a 4 coil pack...each coil fires two of the cylinders at the same time if that is a wasted spark ignition.

So has anyone been able to road test this yet? I would really love to see a really inexpensive fix to my cracked coils like this.

Does anybody know what COP has the voltage output for the buck, R1 COP are pretty cheap compaired to the bussa COP so what would be the big difference other than the fact that it is for a "bussa" or are there other COP that perform great?

Does anybody know what COP has the voltage output for the buck, R1 COP are pretty cheap compaired to the bussa COP so what would be the big difference other than the fact that it is for a "bussa" or are there other COP that perform great?

The R1 COPs look to be identical(from what i see in the pic's) to the Busa set i have. Prolly made by the same manufacturer. Any will have more voltage than the stkers i'm sure. I know for a fact that the spark was brighter/bigger with my COP than the stockers. Your not gonna see a performance difference in the COP's from one bike to another.

I've run a turbos, nitrous and built motors with STK COP's with no issues at all. On Yamaha's, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's and Honda's.

The R1's being cheaper is more than likely due to it not being in the "spotlight" like the "Big Bad Busa" and even the GSXR's. Those bikes just seem to have more attention and it thus drives up the prices on their parts. Heck, you'll prolly find the GSXR600 parts being cheaper than the 750/1000, though many will interchange.

So has anyone been able to road test this yet? I would really love to see a really inexpensive fix to my cracked coils like this.

I'll find out as soon as i can. I'm still waiting on my wider rear wheel so i'm dead in the water till it gets here. It will prolly be another week or so for me.

Another advantage of using these on the Max is no more complaining on how much a pain in the ass it is getting to the stock front coils!

Can I run regular wire to the coils or do I need that special connector?

Latest posts

Back