Carb sync tool for less than $25

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this for about 12 bucks - some tubing, ATF & a piece of plywood. Syncs all 4 at once. Works great, just ask Uncle Philthy. There's an old thread somewhere with all the specifics.
I also heard pretty good things about this one too. People also like the fact that they could go snowboarding with it! :biglaugh:

I wasn't too confident about my skills to build one at the time, so I opt'ed for a Morgan's CarbTune and paid $110 ...but no regrets.

Ooooooh suuure. When I looked yesterday, and I found the guy we are referring to, he didn't have any auctions up. Today, he has. Just typical. I'll be buying one of these.

Mkay, silly question, should I follow the directions and sync like the instructions or should I do as the sticky on syncing carbs states and sync 1&2, then 3&4, then both sides together?

BTW the instructions claim I need to sync 3 and 4 to the first after doing 1&2

Oh and when syncing the 1&2, and the 3&4'th together, which of the hoses do I plug it into? the master carb for the 1&2 side, but which on the 3&4 side?

It really is a helluva lot easier to sync with a 4-gauge system..

But, if you can only balance two at a time, definitely sync 1&2 first, then 3&4, and then balance 1&2 to 3&4 using either 1&3, 1&4, 2&3 or 2&4 as any will work.

Here's how the cylinders are numbered on the bike:

front

2 4

1 3

rear

so to sync 1&2 you connect to the vacuum nipples on the left hand carbs, 3&4 on the right hand carbs, and then balance using any one nipple from each side.
Be sure to keep the nipples you aren't using plugged, and also be sure to identify which sync screw is which on the right hand side - if you disturb the 3&4 screw while adjusting the 12/34 balance you'll have to go back and get 3&4 correctly adjusted again before balancing the two sides.

Awesome thanks. I was pretty sure that was the best way. I got one of those ball bearing setups and it's only designed to do 2 at a time. I've no doubt, I can fabricate more of the same setup to actually work for 4 carbs instead of two, but would have to keep it on the DL, as I don't want to upset the seller.

Alright, I just bought one. I will let you know my experience when it gets here in the next couple weeks.

Would a vacuum leak in the system (not the actual syncronizer) cause the syncronizer to not respond?

my new ball assembly works, but not really responsive. I had to turn the screw like 4-6 turns before it would move to the opposite side. Then it was TOO far, and I had to turn it BACK.

Any leaks will throw it off. Gotta make sure all is good, but then again 3 of the 4 nipples are usually plugged anyway, with the fourth (cyl #2) being connected to the vacuum advance unit.

Latest posts

Back