Performance tips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vannlater

Reaction score
Hi.
First of all I have to admit that I am an amatour regarding bikes.
This is just my second bike (first one a Shadow 700cc).
Well, I recently bought a 1996 V-max 1200. The guy I bought it if said the bike could have potential of 140hp, but when this bike was tested it showed 110hp or something. After browsing the net I see that this bike is poular when it comes to tuning, performance and so on.
My question is where to start ? I have just replaces the air filter with a KN filter, changed the motor oil to Royal Purple Max-Cycle 20W50 and changed the oil filter to a KN oil filter.
My future plans was to install BSM slip-on mufflers.
What do you recommand me to do next when it comes to performance ? On the internet I can see that there are different kinds of dyna kits but bare in mind that I am an amatour.:biglaugh: [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Hi.
First of all I have to admit that I am an amatour regarding bikes.
This is just my second bike (first one a Shadow 700cc).
Well, I recently bought a 1996 V-max 1200. The guy I bought it if said the bike could have potential of 140hp, but when this bike was tested it showed 110hp or something. After browsing the net I see that this bike is poular when it comes to tuning, performance and so on.
My question is where to start ? I have just replaces the air filter with a KN filter, changed the motor oil to Royal Purple Max-Cycle 20W50 and changed the oil filter to a KN oil filter.
My future plans was to install BSM slip-on mufflers.
What do you recommand me to do next when it comes to performance ? On the internet I can see that there are different kinds of dyna kits but bare in mind that I am an amatour.:biglaugh:

These make around the 140's in hp at the crank. your dyno'd 110 at the wheel is an average number for the stock bike.

As for upgrades, there are many. First on your stocker I'd sync the carbs. You might get a little more there.

But with upgrading it all depends on your style of riding. Do you tour, do a little racing, prefer riding the twisties..etc.

Slip-ons aren't really going to make you any more power neither is the K$N filter as it really isn't a performance upgrade because your still limited to the airflow by the stock airbox. I have a K&N too cause I like the reusability of it. Here is a few suggestions. I'm sure as time goes on there will be more added to the list.

For performance:
fully pipe system
A carb kit (Dynojet stg 7, Morley's Muscle Jet kit)
If you don't run a carb kit, shim the "y" on the airbox about 3/8" or so.
Nitrous, Turbo, Supercharger, cams,.... it gos on.

For handling:
Fork brace
Frame brace and/or solid motor mounts
Braced swingarm
Update your rear rim and run radial tires front and back

For touring:
Re-formed seat (should be done anyway)
nice windshield
Highway pegs or forward controls
Venture rear diff (Morley also does a 5 gear swap that will loower your RPM's too but it requires engine disassembly.)

The list go on and on. But I have to warn you, It's like Vcrack. Once you start modding its hard to stop. :biglaugh:

Hmmm?. Tell me more? :biglaugh:

I just bought a few little washer's and longer allen heads, then pulled the "Y" stacked a few washers under it then re-installed it. It seemed to improve the performance a little on the butt dyno.

I just bought a few little washer's and longer allen heads, then pulled the "Y" stacked a few washers under it then re-installed it. It seemed to improve the performance a little on the butt dyno.

KJShover - I take this to mean that you're raising the "Y" on top of the airbox to in affect provide a slightly larger opening throughout. Do you find this to be better than removing the "Y" section completely ? :confused2:

Anther question to you or the other forum members, has anyone ever considered removing most of the plastic divider wall on the bottom side / center of the "Y" (just above the air filter) to make the air flow less restrictive inside ? or was this meant by the VMax engineers to divert the air stream downward to the filter ? I reviewed past posts and didn't find any comments relating to this, so I thought I'd ask the experts out there.

Comments :wink2:

KJShover - I take this to mean that you're raising the "Y" on top of the airbox to in affect provide a slightly larger opening throughout. Do you find this to be better than removing the "Y" section completely ? :confused2:

I originally removed it, and it didn't feel right. I shimmed it and it was better.

Full exhaust system like a Kerker, Hindle, Marks, UFO, Stage 7 Carb Jet Kit, 4 individual K&N Air Filters and a Good Tuner should get you between 125 and 130 RWHP. You will realize that you have Woke Up the Beast. That extra 15 to 20 RWHP will broaden your smile and make you more than dangerous to anyone from stop light to stop light. Probably about a $1200 investment depending on your DIY skills. I have gone the expensive route with my 2000 Vmax. Stage1 to Stage 7, Supertrapps to Kerker to UFO, Stage 7 to Flatslides to EFI.
I probably have about a million dollars invested in my bike. LOL

rick rash

Doing anything to that stupid Y on the airbox is begging for debate but hey, Ill share what I did!

-I drilled fat holes!:biglaugh:
-Then I put tiny little velocity stacks in each hole I drilled (they stick down below the Y so thay are longer then they look)
-Then I bolted it back on.
-P.O. cut out the raised portion of the air box that was below the Y, thats why mine looks "different" there.

Attachments

• IMGA0363.JPG
    IMGA0363.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 270
  • IMGA0364.JPG
    IMGA0364.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 255
Yeah, you need a good airbox pressure differential and also a muffler/baffle to keep the bike responsive and running properly

rick

Mmmm, never heard about the shimming of the Y, interesting. I played with my tune late fall this year and have the Y removed, might have to see how she pulls if I shim it. Is 3/8 what everyone is shimming at?

Yeah I know it. Im just waiting for my ignition in the mail.
Evidently my definition of "over night" is different than the postal services. With hope Monday will hold the key to my issue and the old cruise missile will be ready for my tuesday night bike night

Latest posts

Back