Finally got my bike! Need help already haha

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
So I helped the guy bring it to my house in his truck, got all the paperwork dealt with, then he left. He did warn me that it has been sitting for awhile.

(Has the Vgas carbs)

I went to test second gear and after letting it warm up for about 10 mins I hopped on and went to rev it a couple times in neutral and it bogged down and stalled.

So then I started it back up (started fine) and feathered it up in rpms, it got to about 3k after a few minutes of it. By the end, if I twist the throttle 1/5th down, it will initially start to gain rpm but will then fall to like 500 rpm on its own.

Anyway, all I can think of (limited knowledge) is the fuel filter, old fuel, needs an oil change, and maybe something to do with that vgas breather tube?

Any help is appreciated!

Also, if it helps, the velocity stacks make a whistling noise when I go to accelerate and there was a bit of steam coming from one of the velocity stacks along with some from under the faux tank (small amounts)

Update: the gas in the tank is a tan color - can anyone link a how to on the best way to clean the tank?

Also: the left carb closest to my knee is making a spitting noise as I get on the gas and is also the one showing the most steam exiting the velocity stack - it will not go over 1500 rpm consistently.

She idles perfectly so I'm thinking it's not getting fuel as I rev. I have no clue how to clean carbs (yet) and I need a fuel filter/to clean the tank I guess. Can someone guide me on all this?

Can someone please help? I want to ride her so bad <3

If you don't have mechanical aptitude and tools, I suggest removing the carbs and sending them to someone like dannymax or Sean Morley. While he works on the stock ones primarily, dannymax probably could tackle those too. I know Sean could. Either way, the $ you spend will be well-spent and probably will restore full drivability once you change the fuel filter and drain/flush the fuel tank.

The tank has a drain on it, just a bolt to remove. If it has scale and corrosion in it, you probably will need to remove it for cleaning and lining.

I would recommend flushing completely both front & rear brake systems and the hydraulic clutch. If the fluid in all of them has any color other than clear, they need to be flushed.

Oh, geez, you might try selling your VGas carbs and buying a set of refurbished stockers. You could probably come out of it bucks-up. I know Sean and Danny probably have some ready to ship. That might be your best bet, they might work a deal w/you on the exchange. Yours should be worth much-more than a set of refurbished stock carbs.

I am getting back on my feet & have a little bit of room to work ( Not much ) but I can also rebuild carbs as good as any body around or I am more than willing to help you walk thru it on your own. I can do a little trading but not much as I got rid of most of my parts before I moved.

Thanks fdo the tip, Fire! I'll consider a trade for a full stage 7 set up but I don't have the oem airbox, intake manifold or anything. :3

Captain! I'd consider sending them out but even more so I'd like to understand how my bike works and learn to do it myself. If I buy a couple cans of carb cleaner and the tools I need could you or someone else take some time to walk me through it over the next couple days? I don't have a garage here at college so I'm limited on being able to do the shotgun method etc.

Mostly I need to know how far to tear them down to clean the Jets and bowl etc, and also what screws do what and how to adjust them. I don't have a vacuum tool to sync them until Tuesday though

They don't sync with conventional methods with the flatslides. You can take them apart and try some simple cleaning (they aren't too terrrible). BUT, if you want filtered air and a better overall ride you can shoot me an email and we'll work out a trade deal for all the stuff you need.

Sean
[email protected]

I have not, what fuel filter should I get? Auto Zone and Advanced both said their computers don't show which fuel filter I need.

Sean is being a saint and offered me a deal to swap out the Vgas set up for a clean Morley's muscle set up with stage 7 instead of Vboost

If I can't work things out with this Vgas set up this week then that's what I'll do ^^ My main plan it just to run some seafoam through it haha. I do love the sound it makes though xD

Eventually I would resell his vgas once we got it cleaned up and a customer with a big bore engine that can actually do something with it. Just not my favorite setup for stock or even mildly modified internal engines.

Sean

Latest posts

Back