Woohoo! Fixed the carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
I still need to drain the bowls and such, but I turned all 4 air screws in then 3/4 turn out and the mystery problem totally went away xD

Also, it may just be how carb bikes are, but say I'm cruising along at X rpm, it will feel like the motor is weak initially when I touch the throttle, it really needs commitment to kick in but when she does she really moves

I also think my battery is overheating, you can see where it is in my thread named "I think this is a problem" but basically it's a lawn mower battery sitting where the stock air box is that directly sits on the motor.

I think it overheats because when I ride for any amount of time around 20 minutes, the bike bogs down like it's running out of gas and shuts off, then is super weak when I go to start it.. but if I give it ten minutes and try again she fires up and will drive another little bit

Best battery that easily fits into stock area? (Currently empty on my bike)

I was thinking of getting a Odyssey battery, but I used the link off Vmaxoutlaw and got a Apex/ Panasonic battery shipped for under $50. It's a sealed battery. So far between the batter and my tender it is the first to last me over 2 years no issues. I also changed out my starter for a 4 bush last year it solved a bunch of the issues of it not wanting to start once engine was warm. Now it cranks the same cold or hot- fast. I think the old starter was one of the things that helped to kill my starter clutch a couple of times. I know you said your $$$ is tight so you might want to look at this battery as a cheaper and good fix.

I am driving the time bomb! xD But only on 10 mile trips to school and back.

WOW! 38$ for a sealed battery isn't bad, how does that stack up compared to the odyssey?

How much is the new starter? I don't need one currently but I might soon so it'd be good to know haha.

I know when the motor is hot is *sometimes* cranks slow, but most of the time it fires right up once it's been started for over a couple minutes

The odyssey has 170 cold cranking amps compared to apex's 430-do the math.
Here's your starter price--http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-Yamaha-V-MAX-V-MAX-VMX1200-VMAX-1985-2000-MOTORCYCLE-VMX-1200-1198cc-/140904192531?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ce8b5a13&vxp=mtr

Awesome! I'll order the Apex tomorrow, then.

I assume it fits into the stock area without any trouble?

And thanks for the link, it doesn't look too hard to install

Yea, I just looked it up and the battery I have currently (old lawn mower battery) is only 225 CCA

Guess I'm going with the 37$ upgrade hahah

Will the Apex battery crank too fast for the clutch and startor to handle?

I have a 300 budget for next phase, I have 90 set aside for Bell Vortex helmet, 50 for battery, 15 for some weather proof bonnets to put on top of the velocity stacks when it rains at school, and the rest is undecided so far :p

Latest posts

Back