2001 Vmax oil change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgosset1

Reaction score
I warmed my bike up this morning and changed the oil and filter....could only get three quarts in it...must have been the way it was angled where i changed it....oh well; looks clean......went with Lucas 10W-40 and Wix Filter...How many quarts is this bike suppose to hold...?

According to the Owners Manual:
3.4 QT without changing Filter and 3.6 Qt when using a new filter.

DMANN it was probably the way i had it angled....i like for it to be half-way in sight glass on level ground...and it is....i could put another .6 quarts in it i guess, just seems that it would overfill sightglass...

Bike should be on the centerstand on level ground & after it runs for a few minures shut it off and after a few minutes fill the sightdlass 3/4 full

You never really seem to get as much out as the manual says...too much clings to all the internal surfaces and parts.

As long as it was on the centerstand I wouldn't worry about it. Change the filter, add 3qts, start it to fill the filter, then top up to the upper hash mark on the sight glass.

Mine usually takes about 3.5 with a new filter.

Also, stick a few magnets to your oil filter, then cut it open next time you change it. You'll be surprised by the big glob of muck that collected on top of the magnet inside the cartridge.

"Windage loss" from too-much oil is different from "Kentucky windage" but they both can affect your performance!

I just checked it again today and its 3/4 full in sight glass....have not added any more oil to it...light never comes on when running....have not added any more than the three quarts i put in it....don't want to overfill it.......its running goooood!!!!

A Yamaha service manual i got off line says 4 qts!. WAY past the top of the sight glass. What else is wrong in it?

A Yamaha service manual i got off line says 4 qts!. WAY past the top of the sight glass. What else is wrong in it?
4.2 Qts. is Only for a New Bike that has never had oil in it.
I always use about 3 1/2 Qts when changing the Oil and Filter and the Oil level is about 3/4 up the sight glass.

See picture below:

Attachments

• VMax_Oil_Amount_Full_Page.jpg
    VMax_Oil_Amount_Full_Page.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 68
What weight oil does everyone use in their Gen 1? I'm picking mine up this weekend and I always do an oil change before the riding season. I've always used Royal Purple 10w40 bike oil in my Busa with good results.

I just checked it again today and its 3/4 full in sight glass....have not added any more oil to it...light never comes on when running....have not added any more than the three quarts i put in it....don't want to overfill it.......its running goooood!!!!

If the light doesn't come on when your riding your not riding her right :rofl_200:

My light comes on at take off from every red light especially if there is a Harley next to me :punk:

Some of the shim info in the valve adjustment section is incorrect I believe. Hopefully someone can clarify. There are several errors in the manual that others may post and explain...

Mine takes a whisker under 4 qts when changing it. I drain it on the center stand, then put it on the side stand for filling. Hold it upright to check level in sight glass.

Latest posts

Back