V Max Sidecar outfit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecarjohn

Reaction score
Nothing novel about fitting a sidecar alongside the V Max, although clearly quite rare.
However, it's our particular take on this aspect of motorcycling.
Of course, totally accept that some will be shocked, dismayed, offended, puzzled, or some such. Do we care, not one bit, been doing such things for over 40 years. Besides we confidently predict it will be noticed !

Didn't create the outfit, bought as seen, but it has most of what makes a good outfit.
VMax1.jpg

Vmax2.jpg

That is definitely unique. I know my dog would love it if I had one of those on mine :)

Even if it is not your typical thing for a Vmax it was still well executed and looks good, nicely done!

Haven't seen that fairing before. Replaced front end with leading link setup. Common for sidecar rigs. All in all, very well done. An alternative to a Can-Am Spyder for us old folks when the time arrives we can no longer hold up a heavy bike.. :biglaugh:

That might be a Euro version. Don't sidecars usually go on the right side in the US, to put the operator on the left side, where a car driver would be?

Very much England, Yorkshire in fact.
Sidecar correctly located for our location. Leading link forks appropriate for sidecar rig. Also, sidecar disc brake linked to bike's rear brake. Not obvious in posted images, also fitted with towing hitch.

Other modifications on the agenda, mainly detail, but includes tyre changes known to be beneficial.

That front suspension is crazy,

That is a well known suspension design. Years ago a Brit bike called Greeves used it on their dirt bikes. Very successful at the time. Considered the norm for sidecar rigs. Various copies and variations have been used for years on many Euro bikes (BMW, etc), even on small bikes from Honda and others. Originally used on the Ural sidecar rig but they may have changed to telescopic forks on current models. Lots of sidecar rigs go to a more car-like tire since they don't lean like a two wheeler. Get more mileage and better traction usually.

That is a well known suspension design. Years ago a Brit bike called Greeves used it on their dirt bikes. Very successful at the time. Considered the norm for sidecar rigs. Various copies and variations have been used for years on many Euro bikes (BMW, etc), even on small bikes from Honda and others. Originally used on the Ural sidecar rig but they may have changed to telescopic forks on current models. Lots of sidecar rigs go to a more car-like tire since they don't lean like a two wheeler. Get more mileage and better traction usually.

Yep, leading-link used to be a common design, BMW's used it until the R69 I think, back-when the BMW frames had lugs for easily-converting them to sidecar duty.

As for the car tire, it's permitted, going to the Dark-Side, when you have a sidecar. :biglaugh:

I like the looks, a traditional look, for sure, there are some who make them look like some pod racer from Tatooine, or wherever it is... . I think a company named Jacwal made a compound-tapered round headlamp fairing like that. A pic:

here's another styling oddity.
images

Nice outfit. Mine is similar (even the same YELLOW) but no black on the chair and no fairing on the bike.
From my own experience I would keep the front bike tire as the sidecar tires available are not suitable, They are ok with 45 hp but NOT with 145hp ! Also the wider the front tire the less "feel" the rider gets and it will get bump steer.
Mine felt lots better when I put a 110 90 18 Bridgestone rear tire on the front. A rear tire has to be mounted with the direction arrow pointing in the wrong direction when mounted on the front.
Rear wheel would need to be put in a big lathe to make a modification to the inside of the rim. 155 15 works well but you can use up to a 175 15. I think I can explain that if you want me to ?
While on tires, I think that the skinnier the sidecar tire the better as this reduces drag. Im thinking of fitting a vmax rear wheel to the chair.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Nice outfit. Mine is similar (even the same YELLOW) but no black on the chair and no fairing on the bike.
From my own experience I would keep the front bike tire as the sidecar tires available are not suitable, They are ok with 45 hp but NOT with 145hp ! Also the wider the front tire the less "feel" the rider gets and it will get bump steer.
Mine felt lots better when I put a 110 90 18 Bridgestone rear tire on the front. A rear tire has to be mounted with the direction arrow pointing in the wrong direction when mounted on the front.
Rear wheel would need to be put in a big lathe to make a modification to the inside of the rim. 155 15 works well but you can use up to a 175 15. I think I can explain that if you want me to ?
While on tires, I think that the skinnier the sidecar tire the better as this reduces drag. Im thinking of fitting a vmax rear wheel to the chair.

Link to FB photo of my vboost chair .....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...463248753.2611.100000661993205&type=1&theater

Hope this helps

Y B n0rmal :rofl_200:

Last edited:
Well, our Vmax sidecar outfit has now done 2000 miles in a few trips. Amendments include fitting LED running lights, plus suitable switching to eliminate the permanent lights on feature. The latter thanks to advice from a forum member.

Also now have a manual switch for the cooling fan, an essential I'd say. Other modifications on the agenda, primarily concerned with the sidecar. A positive move has been fitting an air horn. The standard one was less effective than a bad cough.

Pleased to be achieving 37 miles for every UK gallon (US is 7/8ths of ours, so do the math), which is better than expected. OK don't thrash it, but still make progress. Top speed to date, 95ish, which is quick enough for us. V boost yet to be explored, if ever. Perhaps as an established senior such thoughts should be curtailed ?
:eusa_dance:

Nothing novel about fitting a sidecar alongside the V Max, although clearly quite rare.
However, it's our particular take on this aspect of motorcycling.
Of course, totally accept that some will be shocked, dismayed, offended, puzzled, or some such. Do we care, not one bit, been doing such things for over 40 years. Besides we confidently predict it will be noticed !

Didn't create the outfit, bought as seen, but it has most of what makes a good outfit.
VMax1.jpg

Vmax2.jpg
This is something I would STRONGLY consider doin on a 2nd Gen Max! VERY nicely done! I think I would try to get a fairing that more closely matched the design styling of the sidecar though.

I would like to see some more detailed images of the front suspension on this Max. It looks very well done from what I can see, and I am quite impressed.

I wonder... would it be possible to somehow make up something similar to the Ural's side car drive, to power the sidecar wheel? I know of a guy here in Maine who will ride his Ural w/sidecar even in the middle of the worst Nor'easter.

I like the looks, a traditional look, for sure, there are some who make them look like some pod racer from Tatooine, or wherever it is... . I think a company named Jacwal made a compound-tapered round headlamp fairing like that. A pic:

I would LOVE to get a fairing like this, for the purpose of using it on a partially streamlined LSR bike.

Hello again,

Been a while since responding, however.

The general look of the outfit is what a friend created, my modifications have been detail and somewhat unseen. The fairing, a Brit Avonaire from the 1950s, whilst very old school, has grown on us and is quite distinctive. Alternatives have been checked out, but to be honest there are not that many around that would satisfy as this now does - reasonable protection, lightweight.

Real issues relate to the sidecar, both in terms of poor construction of the fibreglass body (insufficent layers), and remedial work has already been undertaken, and the mounting of sidecar to bike. This will entail disconnection and some fabrication changes to the chassis. I know what's required, after useful contributions from sidecar buddies, but the welding required will be entrusted to a friendly expert. No point creating more problems than solutions !

The front suspension is made by Hedingham here in the UK and is still available. The shocks are Hagon and perform well. Both wheels are standard and will remain, but with different tyres when the time comes to replace. An auto one on the rear and a motorcycle rear tyre on the front, as advised.

Apologies for such a late return. A few family and health issues tend to get in the way, but progress still made.

Chassis modifications a success, but raised questions about how the rig was put together in the first place. Whilst not been bothered about the fairing appearance, there are plans to replace with something more protective. Really need to defend the hands more against the worst aspects of northern European weather, even in the middle of summer. Something in mind that resides in the shed.
Worthwhile change has been the fitting of a HID (high intensity discharge) headlight unit. Impressive performance and price.

Happy with front wheel and tyre arrangement, but still pondering the rear. 15 inch car tyres considered, but concerned about the tyre size differences. Maybe 16 inch, or other alternatives ?

Back