Reusable stainless steel oil filters

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarchin

Reaction score
I was looking around on ebay this morning and came across a stainless steel oil filter for $120. Seems like a good chunk of change but then I wondered about how effective they are? Anyone on here use them or just thoughts in general?

Here is a link to one article I read, though they seem to be for the stainless filter. I think the comments were more interesting than the article itself though

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been eye balling this for a while. I'm thinking, more oil flow and some extra cooling too. I wonder if just the element is available for the early oil canisters? I've converted to spin-on, which requires a later model cross brace. If just the element is available, it looks like it would be a good upgrade for the early bikes for a reasonable price. One of our venders, Pero Motorsports, has them too. It's good to support our own, when possible.

I am curious of how they are built. I recently had a conversation with my uncle that I would call a master mechanic. The discussion was on a filter housing that was on my bobcat skid steer. It was inline on the hydraulic system in a few locations. I opened them up and there was a filter element that looked like it was made of a ton of super small brass balls. I thought check I can just wash this sucker out with some brake cleaner. In the mean time I happen to be reading an article on a bobcat forum that talked about this filter was know for causing catastrophic failures. My uncle happened to stop by to see what I was doing and happen to be that filter assembly. He questioned what I was doing with it and I explained that I was going to wash it out and put it back in service. He then gives me his two cents. "You are better off just buying the new internals, I have never had any luck cleaning those in over 40 years!" Then recalling the article I recently read of catastrophic failure, I took my uncle's advice.

G

Keep in mind that these reusuable elements require specific cleaning techniques.

Not a problem if you plan to be home when oil changes are due, but not practical if you are travelling.
I stick to the old-school of thought, re lubricants. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations about type of oil and change-out frequency. But I do use a magnetic drain plug as well as a wrap-around filter magnet.
Yamaha only states "API Classification SE,SF,SG, or equivalent" with a viscosity rating based on expected ambient temperature use.
Yamaha does not even suggest using their own brand of motorcycle-specific oil, let alone the super-expensive Trendy brands. So why throw the extra bucks?
Unless for the sake of "peace of mind". Whatever makes you happy!
Cheers!

Not sure I really see the upside to reusable filters? I trust paper filters more. They are proven and recommended by the OEM. No need to clean, just remove and replace. Cheap and easy...2 of my favorite qualities

Honestly I can't see spending $120 for a re-usable Oil filter.
I use the Bosch 3323 which costs around $6 which I replace it every other oil change.
So for me, It would take 40 years of Oil changes for that re-usable one to pay for it self.
And I don't have to deal with cleaning the Bosch filters.

I use the Bosch 3323 which costs around $6 which I replace it every other oil change.
So for me, It would take 40 years of Oil changes for that re-usable one to pay for it self.

Yup, this says it all.
It's all about R.O.I. (return on investment).
Don't fall for the hype, Lads. SOOOO many aftermarket companies out to empty your wallet.
Probably influenced by those pesky North Koreans.
Cheers!

I don't see myself using a reusable oil filter. The only good point for me is that the nearest Yamaha dealer is an hour from me, and this would save a trip getting filters for my '85, but I usually use needing an oil filter as a good reason to go for a ride anyway. And, in almost thirty years all playing with engines, I have never had a problem with paper oil filters and I don't expect that to change.

My bike came with a re-usable filter already installed. It's a piece of cake to clean. Flush it with a little raw gasoline and blow it dry with compressed air. As stated earlier however, the standard filters are a snap to replace and are cheap and reliable. If my bike didn't have this system I couldn't justify the cost but it does, and I like it, also adds a little bling.
With regard to another comment "super small brass balls", that sounds like a sintered bronze filter. Most commonly used in compressed air systems but a highly effective method of filtration in many applications. Same method of cleaning as the re-usable.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sintered+bronze+filter

Chris.

But in 40 years time your $6 filter will no longer be $6.. it might be $20 or more.
Then you could say damn I wish I bought one of those reusable filters all those years ago.:Glasses:

I recall you could buy a toilet paper oil filter to add to your car/truck back in the 1970's, supposedly the filter was superior to regular ones in the size of particles cleaned from the oil. No, I odn't know if colors made a difference.

It was a cartridge type.

My bike came with a re-usable filter already installed. It's a piece of cake to clean. Flush it with a little raw gasoline and blow it dry with compressed air. As stated earlier however, the standard filters are a snap to replace and are cheap and reliable. If my bike didn't have this system I couldn't justify the cost but it does, and I like it, also adds a little bling.
With regard to another comment "super small brass balls", that sounds like a sintered bronze filter. Most commonly used in compressed air systems but a highly effective method of filtration in many applications. Same method of cleaning as the re-usable.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sintered+bronze+filter

Chris.

Back