A fun story-3 months after purchase and it is finished #262

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaxmax

Reaction score
One of the oldest surviving vmax's with only 11,000+ miles on it.
I bought this {traded a buell and got cash} back in october 2014 and rode it home only stopping twice for overheating and once for gas. {It was 110 degrees that day in palm springs}.
The first day i painted it flat black and took the carbs off.
The next day i called "dannymax" for priceless info.
I have always been a "gsxr 1100" { only '86 '87 } person and know them inside and out. Can you say that on here?:ummm:
I have a pro stock one still.
So the vmax got me home {88 miles} and the uncovering began. When i pulled the carbs off i found automobile radiator hose used for intake manifolds!! 8 clamps that were not notched yamaha's. No cables for the vboost. Thanks go to twistedmax for shipping a cable {free}. There were no heat covers on the valve covers or on the exhaust. The 4 coils were cracked. No blinkers, no mirrors, battery near dead after load testing, leaking fork seals, no rear footpegs, no carb covers "H" chrome- my they are expensive-And last but not least a twist tie on one of the choke plungers-Dannymax said after seeing the photo i sent him " well it is not stock anymore now is it". I bought a "maxgasser" on Ebay and sold the stock seat to a forum brother in australia know as "baswell"--cool guy.
So to make a long story longer---- click below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_dzj_xRe4

And the MAXGASSER? Even though it was second hand it still looks pretty good , feel ok?

I'm glad that you were a letter to rescue it. These bikes are too good just to have them fall apart. Nice looking bike.

My first 85 is #199, sadly it sat under a tarp in Anchorage Alaska for 15 years, was given to me last summer, they tried loading it onto a trailer and dropped it on the oil filter which broke the lower case boss, and then somehow later they managed to break the crankshaft. So it's terribly corroded, rear brakes froze, clutch and front do work, has vboost, missing front fender.
I started to rebuild it, bought a new stator cover, bought a early lower case, bought another front fender.
But then I got sidelined and was in the hospital, late in the season I found another 85 locally for $1800.
Rode it home on a frigid sunny day here in Alaska. It's been in my kitchen all winter getting cleaned up, fixing starter issues and wiring. I stole some parts off #199 as it had the stock mirrors and the Y covers for the second vmax, but maybe in the future if I find another engine I'll get it back on the road, or turn it into a static model for my restaurant idea.

One of the oldest surviving vmax's with only 11,000+ miles on it.
I bought this {traded a buell and got cash} back in october 2014 and rode it home only stopping twice for overheating and once for gas. {It was 110 degrees that day in palm springs}.
The first day i painted it flat black and took the carbs off.
The next day i called "dannymax" for priceless info.
I have always been a "gsxr 1100" { only '86 '87 } person and know them inside and out. Can you say that on here?:ummm:
I have a pro stock one still.
So the vmax got me home {88 miles} and the uncovering began. When i pulled the carbs off i found automobile radiator hose used for intake manifolds!! 8 clamps that were not notched yamaha's. No cables for the vboost. Thanks go to twistedmax for shipping a cable {free}. There were no heat covers on the valve covers or on the exhaust. The 4 coils were cracked. No blinkers, no mirrors, battery near dead after load testing, leaking fork seals, no rear footpegs, no carb covers "H" chrome- my they are expensive-And last but not least a twist tie on one of the choke plungers-Dannymax said after seeing the photo i sent him " well it is not stock anymore now is it". I bought a "maxgasser" on Ebay and sold the stock seat to a forum brother in australia know as "baswell"--cool guy.
So to make a long story longer---- click below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_dzj_xRe4

Nice job!! :thumbs up:

Looks awesome bro. Sounds sweet too.

I really like your seat. I have looked at pics of the maxgasser plenty of times, but I haven't been taken with one before now. That one looks ace.

Your old seat is in crazy good condition. It's a virgin too! Uncut. :biglaugh:

20141231_141358.jpeg

Thank you bazwell, there's nothing like 2 happy vmax riders with comfortable bums:rofl_200:

Last edited:
Looks awesome bro. Sounds sweet too.

I really like your seat. I have looked at pics of the maxgasser plenty of times, but I haven't been taken with one before now. That one looks ace.

Your old seat is in crazy good condition. It's a virgin too! Uncut. :biglaugh:

View attachment 47143
I told ya it was an '85 with 10,000 miles in perfect condition. THAT"S virgin.

Great story with even better results. Anytime I hear of an 85 being rescued I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside!

Latest posts

Back