VMax Owner / BowHunters

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Miles,

I'm not sure that I understand the question. If you are asking if I have a deer stand overlooking a pile of corn or any other type of food source placed on the ground by me, then yes, I can tell you that you are wrong. I have never placed a deer stand any where closer than at least 200 yds. away from where I place food on the ground. 50 yds. is a long shot on the 55 acres that I own because of the lay of the land and the thickets interspersed throughout it.

If you are asking if I keep the "legally-fed" deer separate from all the other deer wandering around the forest and strictly abstain from their harvest, then no, I cannot say that you are wrong.

In the 9 yrs. that I have owned and hunted this land I have only chosen to harvest 3 deer. 2 of those I chose to harvest to put them out of their misery (both of them had been hit by vehicles but survived). The other harvest was a full-on "I want some meat for the freezer" (I love the taste of venison).

But yeah, if a deer is harvested where I hunt there is a very good chance that the meat will have a corn, pumpkin, sweet potato, apple, acorn, or crunchy peanut butter taste to it.
John

Thanks for the explanation.
Many of the subdivisions in this area, including my own, are overrun with deer, because of land encroachment. Legally, home owners are not allowed to feed them, but many do. Consequently, they have little fear of people, and will approach a person if enticed with food.
By "legally fed", I thought you meant something similar, not the feeding of herds of deer out in the wide open spaces (which our provincial government will sometimes do, in times of exceptionally large deer populations, and/or severe winter conditions).
So, when I read your post, I envisioned bow hunters dispatching trusty little Bambis from their back decks, which in my mind would not be "sport", but just plain animal cruelty.
I am not against ethical hunting. There was never a season go by that there wasn't two or three deer carcasses hanging in out basement, the results of a very patient father would would find a suitable spot in the woods, sit all day without moving a muscle, and eventually score with his old 30-30, the only rifle he ever owned. He only took five rounds with him - "a couple to bring down the two deer, two to finish off, one for myself, in case I'm unsuccessful".
He came home intact, after every hunt.
Cheers!

Back