58.167 MPGs, I Like

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclejohn

Reaction score
Couldn't find anyone to ride with Saturday (all my riding friends had Father's Day stuff going on) so I just struck out on my own. No particular plan other than to meander through the foothills and mountains of NC and VA. I did run across 4 individuals (2 sporty cars and 2 sporty motorcycle riders) on my journey that wanted to get a little racy when I ran up behind them, so I indulged them. I ran with each of them until they started crossing the double yellow into the oncoming lane to straighten/shorten the left hand curves to try and shake me. I let each one of them go when they started doing that, kinda takes the fun out of riding briskly and having fun.

I filled up at the beginning of the ride and filled up at the same station at the end of the ride. I covered exactly 146 miles in-between and it took 2.510 gallons to fill back up. That came out to 58.167 MPGs. Thinking maybe when I install the Venture final drive that I have sitting there I might finally break that 60 that I'm flirting with.

John

Connect the remaining three spark plug boots, and then re-check your mileage, John.
We shall eagerly await the results.
Cheers!:eusa_dance:

Next time on that route, try running it the uphill direction to see what your mileage will be.

Connect the remaining three spark plug boots, and then re-check your mileage, John.
We shall eagerly await the results.
Cheers!:eusa_dance:

I was going to say install the other 3 spark plugs but you did beat me to it :clapping: I can break into the low 40s if I ride it like a Harley.

I'm from the Netherlands, so no mpg here.

But it dosn't matter how i drive. Like an old lady or tear the shit out of it like Rossi. Amongst the 160km the gas reserve light goes on.

You'all must be measuring the petrol in Imperial quantities

Man,

This is a tough crowd. There was even some more information that I was going to post but now I don't know if I should.

I'm going to anyway.

From the station by my house where I fill up to another station north on the highway is exactly 50 miles as verified by several different motorcycles and a friend's GPS that he has mounted on his bike. After I pulled the Dymag wheels off of my bike and shipped them Fire-Medic I had to install my stock wheels back onto the bike. The rear 170/80-15 Shinko was bald and had a couple of threads showing so I mounted up a 150/90-15 Avon Cobra in it's place. I filled the tank and rode to the station at the 50 mile point and exactly 47.5 miles was showing on my odometer. I turned around and rode the same 50 mile stretch back to the first station and there was exactly 95 miles showing on the odometer. For every 100 miles that shows on the odometer I actually need to add 5 miles to get the actual. Using those #'s (146 + 7.5 = 153.5) I actually got 61.155 MPGs on my trip through the mountains.

John

I have broken 60 on my Triumph Sprint 955 triple a few times, got a high of 65.5mpg going through MT, My known high on the Vmax is 42.7 or something. How is yours jetted? needles? thats fantastic mpg.

Miles, I would be kind of scared to hook up those other 3 wires until I add some kind of auxiliary tank to the bike to catch the overflow. Otherwise, I would need to stop every 75-100 miles and siphon the tank out so it didn't overflow and run onto my rear wheel.

John

Triumph Sprint 955 triple

I like those Triumph triples. A couple of years ago a friend bought one and let me ride it, Nice.....

My Vmax is pretty much just like it was born. I replaced the 37.5 pilot jets with 40's and I run the pilot screws at 3 turns out. I replaced the 152.5 main jets with 147.5s. Stock air filter and stock head pipes attached to SuperTrapp slip-ons with 8 disc on each. Float levels are spot on and I check that a couple of times a year. I keep the intakes in perfect synch because it is so easy to do.

John

60+mpg is INCREDIBLE mileage for a basically stock max!
Perhaps someone else will try your jet and a/f screw changes, to see if they can duplicate the results.
But it won't be me, until it's verified. I've left the engine, carbs and exhaust all stock.
Mother Yamaha did her research well during development, and, more importantly, I've more than happy with the performance of the stock setup.
And just SO many horror stories from those that have tinkered with carbs!
However, the bottom line is whatever makes you happy:clapping: Folks modify their bikes for different reasons.
Cheers!

Man,

This is a tough crowd. There was even some more information that I was going to post but now I don't know if I should.

I'm going to anyway.

From the station by my house where I fill up to another station north on the highway is exactly 50 miles as verified by several different motorcycles and a friend's GPS that he has mounted on his bike. After I pulled the Dymag wheels off of my bike and shipped them Fire-Medic I had to install my stock wheels back onto the bike. The rear 170/80-15 Shinko was bald and had a couple of threads showing so I mounted up a 150/90-15 Avon Cobra in it's place. I filled the tank and rode to the station at the 50 mile point and exactly 47.5 miles was showing on my odometer. I turned around and rode the same 50 mile stretch back to the first station and there was exactly 95 miles showing on the odometer. For every 100 miles that shows on the odometer I actually need to add 5 miles to get the actual. Using those #'s (146 + 7.5 = 153.5) I actually got 61.155 MPGs on my trip through the mountains.

John

Sorry Brutha, your #'s don't add up. You say there should be 50 miles (GPS) between those two stations, yet you are using "(146 + 7.5 = 153.5) as your mileage to do the mpg computations. Then by reverse calculating, I come up with you having only used 2.51 gallons of fuel to arrive at your 61.155mpg number.

By my math, and giving you the full 100 miles round trip distance between the two stations (my OEM 85's odo is off vs GPS in the opposite direction you claim yours to be), and also using the 2.51 gallons of fuel I calculated using your above math, I come up with only 39.84mpg for your recent trip....which would be much more in line with the mpg that nearly all of us out here in OEM Gen 1 Vmax land has experience over the years on those v e r y s e l d o m occasions when we can keep our wrists in check and don't get carried away with the Vboost.

Please help me if I'm making any errors in my math, such as where you are coming up with the 153.5 miles travelled, or perhaps my miscalculating the gallons of gas you actually purchased at those two stations.

:ummm::ummm::ummm:

My mileage out of town in cruising mode is between 5.94l/100km and 6.74l/100km
That gives between 39.6 MPG and 34.9MPG

That was with S7 kit before i tuned it with 02 WB, so it should be a bit better now, however this is good results.

It is totally impossible to reach 60 MPG, about 3.9l/100km.
This is a 125 cm3 mileage ;)

John,

I understand your math, I think jfeagins got confused with is, you were talking about two different trips.

1st trip you went 146 (odometer) miles on 2.51 gls. = 58.16 mpg.

2nd trip you were just verifying your odometer but didn't state how much fuel you used. right? trip was 50 miles (GPS) one way, but your odometer was reading this at 47.5. Meaning your odometer was reading less than it actually traveled, (2.5 per 50 or as you stated 5 per 100).

Now refiguring your 1st trip at 146 (odometer miles) you adjusted or added 7.5 miles to the trip to adjust for the odometer shortage. giving you the 153.5 (actual) miles traveled on the 2.51 gls.

I got all of that, What I don't understand is how did you ride past 100 miles (odometer) with out going to reserve?

I get to 90 (odometer) and get really nervous where the next fuel stop might or might not be. Maybe I am new to the VMAX WORLD and just can't stay out of the VBoost.

I think I am hooked on VBOOST! Is there any cure?

What I don't understand is how did you ride past 100 miles (odometer) with out going to reserve?

I think I am hooked on VBOOST! Is there any cure?

Hey DW,

Yes, you do have a firm grasp on what I was saying. That was why I put it in 2 different post, to offer a distinction.

I have owned 2 Vmaxes over the past 13+ years and I'm happy to report that, NO, there is no cure for VBOOST addiction.

I have watched several videos posted on the forum here of members out doing group rides. I don't have the skill set that a lot of members do in as much as doing burnouts and popping wheelies and such (I tried to do a burnout 1 time, that didn't go so well for me but, it did give my friends something to laugh about). Where I try harder at nowadays is being smooth in curves. Considering probably 95% of my riding is in the foothills and mountains of NC and VA (the other 5% spent getting there) that makes the most sense to me.

I have a friend that has a Yamaha Super Tenere. I absolutely love riding that bike (I do hate the part about I can only reach the ground with one tiptoe at a stop though and I have to lean the bike over to reach that one toe). The best he's ever gotten MPG-wise on the Tenere with him riding is 48. Whenever we get together to ride (he lives a little over 100 miles away) we always swap bikes at every fill-up. I have never gotten less than 55 MPG when I ride his bike, and on the flip side of that, my Vmax loses 5-8 MPG with him riding it. Go figure.

John

I just don't buy it.

I've been riding Vmax's for near 25 years with lots of different jetting combos, an have yet to break 40mpg, let alone almost 60.

your #'s don't add up.

By my math,
I come up with only 39.84mpg for your recent trip....which would be much more in line with the mpg that nearly all of us out here in OEM Gen 1 Vmax land has experienced over the years on those v e r y s e l d o m occasions when we can keep our wrists in check and don't get carried away with the Vboost.

Please help me if I'm making any errors in my math, such as where you are coming up with the 153.5 miles travelled, or perhaps my miscalculating the gallons of gas you actually purchased at those two stations.

Hey Jfeagins,

The 2nd station mentioned in my post was for 50 mile turnaround reference only. I only purchased gas at the station by my house. Please disregard my 2nd long post as it is obvious that it only caused confusion.

Which leaves my first post. I traveled 146 miles exactly, according to the odometer reading, and it took 2.510 gallons to fill up. Using reverse calculating and odometer readout error correction, where do I fall vs. the rest of nearly all y'all out there in OEM Gen1 Vmax land and your experiences?

Trying to share a great day and ride on my Vmax with my fellow Vmax'ers has really taken a turn.

A couple of years ago I installed a Venture final drive on my '03 Vmax that I owned at the time (it burned up in a shop fire last year). On one ride with that setup I got 56.9 MPGs so I shared it on the forum here. Then, just like now, people stopped short of calling me a liar.

Jfeagins, I invite you to come for a visit. Bring some of these other members with you. Then you will have definitive reliable alternative confirmation. Bring it, let's ride.

John

Latest posts

Back