New project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, A 'Wide-Glide?' Are you gonna have dual-discs, or run a single disc and have the chrome 'dog-bowl' hub cap that Wide-Glides usually sport?

Finally going to put it all together now. Built the engine over Xmas, this is basically a XVZ1300 hybrid thingy with Vmax bits, it goes together ok with a few mods to the stator winding position etc but no big deal. The deck has been machined to bring the compression up as these run a lower compression stock. The outer covers are different but I like them. We are using reprofiled cams with me making new shims to suit. I've done this before and it works great no problem. I did have a few games installing the cams which to my knowledge I don't recall from last time but maybe I did. The manual isn't really a great help but Sean Morley's Youtube tips really helped with it and I can see (and I nearly did it myself) is that if you don't read carefully and look carefully about the indexing holes in the cam boss's with the rears being small and the fronts being large, it's quite possible to goof it up. I got the rears done and proceeded to wind the engine over only for it to stop with me thinking the front cam chain would be bunched around the crankshaft, no such luck. As it turns out the intake valves were just touching the pistons ....which meant I had to take the heads off again, cams etc and I used a rotary burr to give some clearance for the intake valves which all worked out ok. Got it all timed up and just need to double check my valve clearancesIMG_20190102_184036 (Large).jpg

This is mod monkey 7th heaven!!!!! Those cover's are too cool, I really dig that breather cover.
Is it a home/handmade piece?

Drew up a stainless steel bracket for the speedo mount and wire cut it out and then bolted it onspeedo.JPG IMG_20190112_145517 (1).jpg

Interesting t see what's needed to build a 1300 Venture-based bike. I have a Venture engine I bought from a guy who worked in Jack Roush's NASCAR shop in Michigan. I haven't done anything with it yet, it's just sitting on a shelf.

Some questions:
When you cut the deck height of the top case/cylinders, that affects the cam timing and flywheel marks for timing, yes? And that's why you had an interference with the pistons, when you were assembling it?

Can we see a pic from the side of the bracket for the speedo, something that shows how it bolts-in? It's been awhile since I went through the thread, and you probably mentioned it, but whose speedo? Koso, Biltwell?

I also like the rounded contours of the Venture side case engine covers, they look good in a polished fashion. I have the same cylinder milled-bars freeze plug covers, I think they are a neat addition to an engine, as they emphasize the pistons' location, to me, and they integrate well with the milled bars on the cyl heads.

Interesting t see what's needed to build a 1300 Venture-based bike. I have a Venture engine I bought from a guy who worked in Jack Roush's NASCAR shop in Michigan. I haven't done anything with it yet, it's just sitting on a shelf.

Some questions:
When you cut the deck height of the top case/cylinders, that affects the cam timing and flywheel marks for timing, yes? And that's why you had an interference with the pistons, when you were assembling it?

Can we see a pic from the side of the bracket for the speedo, something that shows how it bolts-in? It's been awhile since I went through the thread, and you probably mentioned it, but whose speedo? Koso, Biltwell?

I also like the rounded contours of the Venture side case engine covers, they look good in a polished fashion. I have the same cylinder milled-bars freeze plug covers, I think they are a neat addition to an engine, as they emphasize the pistons' location, to me, and they integrate well with the milled bars on the cyl heads.

You could argue yes that changing deck height or even head gasket thickness will affect cam timing to some degree. That being said, chain wear, sprocket wear, manufacturing tolerances all come into play and the differences are minute that it doesn't throw the marks off to any great amount. Given that the cams are modified anyway throws this further into the mix as to what's happening with valves opening etc. One could get crazy and modify the slots on the cam sprockets and tweak it even further but it just isn't needed for street. I milled the deck to raise the compression as the venture has less, I believe it is 10:1 stock versus the vmax at 10.5. How much that changes just swapping heads to Vmax I don't know, maybe Sean Morley does. What I did, however, was to remove 1 mm from the deck height and it brings the ratio with the Max heads to ?? Lol,I don't know, I could work it all out. All I do know is that I have done it before and it worked out great. The Valves were only JUST touching the pistons but given that I'm running modified cams etc it's not surprising, last time I didn't relieve the pistons but the valves I now know must have been soooo close to touching them.
The XVZ1300 motor changed style at some point, the clever Yamaha engineers modified the Vmax castings for more rounded styled covers etc without starting from scratch. I like the look of them, it does take a little work to make the Vmax flywheel and stator to jive together, I had to make a spacer the correct dimensions to make the stator work in the cover. I got the engine cases for almost nothing so that's why I threw it together with parts I have laying around.

The speedo is just a cheap digital one that can be found on eBay for about $40-50 or so, not as romantic as the Vmax ones that Sean sells. It does show a decent amount of features, RPM, gear selection, fuel, indicators, clock etc and of course speed and ODO.
The bracket, I made it to suit my project and would need to be redesigned to suit anything stock Vmax, but attched is a picture of it mocked up on mineIMG_20190112_152325 (1) (Large).jpg

Speedo mount: OK, a surface-mount w/a through-bolt allen head, thanks.

I guess the racers use a pipette to measure combustion chambers off the bike, and other stuff like that to build their database of mods. The flowbench crowd.

You just used a hand-held die-grinder to relieve the piston eyebrows for the valves? You have a steadier hand than do I. My effort would look like a drunken caterpillar trying to make his way-home across a wet concrete sidewalk.

I have the combination I think you're asking about"
Later model Royal Star Block (1300)
85-93 Venture Pistons (10.5:1)
Vmax Heads/Cams

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 42
Hell Jedi. I have used the same speedo on my 2000 VMAX and I mounted the LCD speedo in the same place as the old speed. Jut need to do come cutting in the bottom of the plastic chrome container. I made a simple bracket with the type of plate you use to join two 2x4s. Nothing as fancy as the part you made.

Attachments

• lcd.jpg
    lcd.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 32
Got a bit more done, still lots to do but it's roughly mocked up2019-03-02_16-42-22_151 (Large).jpg

What's going to go in the 'dogbone' cutout of the scoops?

Looks good, I like the Venture rounded engine side covers, polished.

Your compressor is missing some orange trim to resemble the John Wyer Gulf Can Am cars paint-scheme. Wyer Porsche 917 Can Am.01.jpg

Your compressor is missing some orange trim to resemble the John Wyer Gulf Can Am cars pain

Your compressor is missing some orange trim to resemble the John Wyer Gulf Can Am cars paint-scheme.

There will SS mesh in the cut-outs with led lighting behind

Latest posts

Back