How to press the carbs block down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was having trouble pushing the carbs block down so it sits properly. Resorted to approach attached. Laugh all you want, but it works! :)

Hope this helps others!

Attachments

• How to press the carb block down.pdf
    335.1 KB · Views: 212
Use a heatgun. to warm up the intake rubbers. when the rubbers is "hand-warm" ie. Ouch.
then spray WD40. and press the carb-unit on.
I guess your problem may have the intake rubber is old and stiff.
try to (when the engine is running at idle) spray on the intake rubbers with Ether (eg. Diesel start) So be sure there are no cracks or leaks. :)

Oh wow.. Never saw that one coming.. I'd guess that if you really needed that much pressure to get them on, then something is crimped or out of alignment with the boots. You'll see it when you have to take them back off.. Newer boots or warmed up and oiled ones, goes on with about 20-40 lbs of pressure. When I had to dig into my carbs, my biggest issue was 1) getting newer boots, (mine had age cracks). and 2), making sure the clamps was loosened enough to allow the full flexing of the rubbers to slide on correctly. Oh well,, as long as you can get out and ride.. :eusa_dance:

Use a heatgun. to warm up the intake rubbers. when the rubbers is "hand-warm" ie. Ouch.
then spray WD40. and press the carb-unit on.
I guess your problem may have the intake rubber is old and stiff.
try to (when the engine is running at idle) spray on the intake rubbers with Ether (eg. Diesel start) So be sure there are no cracks or leaks. :)

If there leaks, what would I see when I spray Ether?

I’m very shocked to see a 2x4 and a jack being used to put the carbs back on. I would just replace the rubbers and maybe use a one of the products one of the other guys have mentioned. My boots were really fkd up and didn’t have to resort to that. I would definitely replace them to be safe, after pressing them in with a jack. Looking for something tweaked like already mentioned is a good idea as well. I have a thread on inexpensive boots, another thing to check is to make sure the boots are oriented correctly and that the clamps are open enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You all haven't messed with 3rd gen Honda Magna carbs much have ya'? THe amount of swearing and walking off was unreal everytime I had to install them :double angry bird: . When I first got my Vmax I was amazed by the ease of removal and installation compared to my Magna, it's just night and day!

When all manner of lubrication or use of force/ leverage/ swearing fail then new boots are called for. It is sooo much easier to reinstall the carbs with new boots.

WD-40 is your friend. Sometimes I use a piece of plywood for leverage, but it shouldn't be that hard to seat them. They must be fully seated or they'll be problems.

I must say that was awesome! see what happens with stuff we have just lying around. This mother father is going on right now and I'm going to ride you today!!! Nice. Now you just have to give that technique a name.

Latest posts

Back