starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemax

Reaction score
Where is the best place to get a starter clutch for a 06. Are there any step by step instructions for replacement?

:bang head:

Where is the best place to get a starter clutch for a 06. Are there any step by step instructions for replacement?

:bang head:

Parts like the springs and the barrels I usually order from Bike Bandit or worse case the dealer. There may be a better sourse for this. In this case I want factory stuff knowing that it will be right the first time after installation. Its a bitch to remove the flywheel. Dont forget to order a new stator cover gasket also. Might as well get a new oil filter and gasket since you are going to loose some oil. I would drain the oil to make sure you got no gasket material in the oil when cleaning the engine surface.

Service manual is located at VMAXOUTLAW.COM

Dang! You need a starter clutch after 2 years? I have an 06 V...

ummm cuse me for a bit... I 'm gonna run outside and go rub on my Baby and give her some sweet sweet luvin!

Sorry to hear about your luck!

Get rid of the stock battery asap and you won't need a new starter clutch. Weak battery causes starter kick back which loosens the clutch bolts.

i am having the exact same issue loud annoying starter sounds

what type of battery is recommended? is the loud starter noises a sure sign the clutch bolts have loosened or will a stronger battery cure it?

why would yam design a starter this way?

i cannot believe i will be wrenching on this thing again............

this is my first max and it has spent more time in my garage in pieces than on the road........sad

If it sounds like rocks are rolling around in a washing machine then it is your starter clutch. The bolts back off and it creates a whip lash effect on the starter clutch. The starter clutch will pull out and bang against the fly wheel and crack . I replaced the starter clutch and put the Goldwing battery in that Sean Morley suggested and have not had any more problems.

why would yam design a starter this way?

The guy who designed the starter was on drugs at the time. After all he designed the starter in the XV Virago.
I have an XV750 which is notorious for a box of rocks sound. Even when completely fixed and working it still sounds like a piece of shit.
They came out in 1981, 4 years later Yamaha didn't learn a lot...the guy was still stoned.

Fixing the Vmax one is pretty straight forward. I do have a picture of a FW puller if anyone wants to make one and can supply dimensions.

If you think the Vmax one is bad you should try replacing one in a FZR. It's the last thing to come out when dissassembling the engine so it's got to be completely taken apart. At least they last longer.

Sean

I have changed my starter clutch three times in the last 7 months, each time the flywheel is mangled to pieces! I have changed the whole assembly, the battery and the stator. I see that someone recommends to get the Goldwing battery (is that the name of the battery or the same type the the Honda Goldwing uses?). I dont want to get the flywheel again to have the same thing happen. I have a '97 with 29,000.00 with a Kerker and it runs like a champ, when I can get it to start! Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!!

I run any Odyssey battery, and it's been in there for at least 3 years and spins the motor over like a top.

I started getting "miss" from the starter...as in it would momentarily crank the motor, then "let go" and spin freely. I took it all apart, found all three bolts loose but nothing broken, tightened them up, problem 98% solved. It still sometimes misses in very cold weather(like below freezing) with a cold engine, though I've found cracking the throttle open a bit cures this for whatever reason. Probably could have replaced the three little pucks as well, but I didn't bother.

When you re-tighten them, make sure to use loc-tite and/or peen the back side of the bolts to prevent them from backing out. They were peened at the factory but yamaha did a really lousy job of it and they come loose anyway.

The starter clutch is a very common design, however newer motors use a slightly different design...there's like 12 or 15 rollers in a cage, instead of three spring loaded pucks. The new style is much more reliable. Still, the vmax starter really should work fine provided your charging system is OK and you've taken care of the clutch bolts. Mine hasn't given me any grief since I had it apart. Weak batteries/slow cranking kill these clutches...as said the compression kickback works the clutch ring back and forth, eventually working it loose, then breaking it. If it's being spun fast enough the starter keeps constant torque in one direction on the clutch, instead of it alternating with each compression pulse.

may want to talk to morley about a the new starter clutch thing...

sorry i wasn't more specific, its a clutch from a new warrior or something, has 27 teeth instead of the 3 dogs or something similar, sorry i'm not being very descriptive, shoot him an email or give him a call.

Are any of you using synthetic oil. I know a lot of people will disagree but when I got my Max the 1st thing I did was to baby it with the best of everything, including switching to synthetic. Within a couple of weeks that noise started and within a month I was wrenching on it. Could be purely coincidental, but I'll stick with regular oil changes with the regular motorcycle oil.

I have changed my starter clutch three times in the last 7 months, each time the flywheel is mangled to pieces! I have changed the whole assembly, the battery and the stator. I see that someone recommends to get the Goldwing battery (is that the name of the battery or the same type the the Honda Goldwing uses?). I dont want to get the flywheel again to have the same thing happen. I have a '97 with 29,000.00 with a Kerker and it runs like a champ, when I can get it to start! Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!!

Sorry for the late reply. Think about the following: Permanent Start Clutch Solution. I contacted Sean Morley about it. I can't afford it. But by the sounds of it, you've already spent the same amount of dollars it would've taken.

I got a newer style starter clutch from dan obert. A little over 300 bucks, i know thats quiet a bit but i don;t worry about it anymore.starts great;Its on here somewhere.im very pleased.good luck;here is his e mail,no slipping no marbles no BS fixed!Write an email [email protected]

If it sounds like rocks are rolling around in a washing machine then it is your starter clutch. The bolts back off and it creates a whip lash effect on the starter clutch. The starter clutch will pull out and bang against the fly wheel and crack . I replaced the starter clutch and put the Goldwing battery in that Sean Morley suggested and have not had any more problems.

ok this thread is REALLY old but iv just had the rocks sound and lost both front cylinders wen it did fire up am i doomed or is it curable? and any idea why the 2 front cylinders would die and not the back?

cheers joe

ok this thread is REALLY old but iv just had the rocks sound and lost both front cylinders wen it did fire up am i doomed or is it curable? and any idea why the 2 front cylinders would die and not the back?

cheers joe

Doesn't the 85 have two pickup sensors located very close to the starter clutch?
You may have taken one of them out with a broken starter clutch :confused2:

Doesn't the 85 have two pickup sensors located very close to the starter clutch?
You may have taken one of them out with a broken starter clutch :confused2:

Unfortunately I have noooo sodden idea lol im one of these annoying novices sorry any ideas how I can tel??

Thanks Joe

Latest posts

Back