85 V-Max sounds- not the good kind...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started hearing a metallic rubbing sound from engine. Like something rubbing against a case cover or ?. Thought it may be the water pump but the noise is coming from the other side. Does not knock when started but after running a few minutes starts low and gets louder as it runs. If I blip the throttle it goes away and then returns after a couple of seconds. With my stethoscope the only place I can hear it is on the left front exhaust pipe. Scraping sound with ticks about every second. Any ideas what this may be.. Would valve shims make such a sound?

I doubt a valve shim would be heard like you're describing. I'd guess if on that side of the engine, maybe a bolt from the one way bearing came out, but like trauma said, post a video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give the exhaust header a tap with a hammer. Sometimes the inner pipe comes loose after the welds corrode. Sounds all kind of weird. If it's loose, you'll know it. My 85 did it after about 60,000 miles. I had a friends bike do exactly the same thing.

I fixed the rattle on both bikes by giving the pipe a good whack with a ball pein hammer, to dent the outer pipe enough to pinch the inner pipe and stop it from rattling.

A while later, I replaced the offending header pipe.

Give the exhaust header a tap with a hammer. Sometimes the inner pipe comes loose after the welds corrode. Sounds all kind of weird. If it's loose, you'll know it. My 85 did it after about 60,000 miles. I had a friends bike do exactly the same thing.

I fixed the rattle on both bikes by giving the pipe a good whack with a ball pein hammer, to dent the outer pipe enough to pinch the inner pipe and stop it from rattling.

I forgot all about that. I remember reading that once. I often forge the tubes are double walled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So another Canadian (British Columbia) rider, eh? Welcome. You'll need to post the video to a web-sharing site, I recommend photobucket...:rofl_200:
Not really! Anyone else but.

I'll have a local IPA, whose do you recommend?
cheers00.gif
cheers00.gif

Is your VIN listed in the 1985 registry? If not, what are the last 4 numbers of the VIN? Does the steering head decal say the bike is for the USA market?

Thanks. I'll check the pipe theory tomorrow and see if I can figure out the video thing as well.

The bike is listed in the site registry and is an early (0339) number. Don't see anything regarding for USA market on the decal but it does have a small round CANADA TRASNPORT decal above the steering head decal.

Thanks Bill. I pulled the header pipe off and it is cracked about 1-2 inches down the inner pipe. I'll be looking for a replacement header pipe. I was thinking of using JB Weld to temporarily patch it and see if the noise goes away. Thanks again...

Hello all. I'm brand new to this forum. Looking forward to learning from everyone's expertise. My story is 2 weeks ago I purchased a 98 vmax in extremely good condition cosmetically. only 5700 miles. Owner really took car of it. Problem was the engine was locked seized. I have never worked on a motorcycle but I have always been the guy who fixes everything :punk: It has taken me 3 days but I now have the case opened. 1 piston bearing on the crank has worn a descent size grove in the crank. that piston is broken and the rod was bent 180 degrees. Both cylinder sleeves took all the damage and destroyed. Some impact to the case between cylinders but that damage shouldn't affect anything. Should I buy another case or repair this one? I'm assuming the sleeves can be replace and either repair the crank of swap it out. If I have put this in the wrong thread it's because I just join and can't start a new thread yet....I think

thanks all:biglaugh:

It's junk, buy a used one, there are guys here who will have them.

Hello all. I'm brand new to this forum. Looking forward to learning from everyone's expertise. My story is 2 weeks ago I purchased a 98 vmax in extremely good condition cosmetically. only 5700 miles. Owner really took car of it. Problem was the engine was locked seized. I have never worked on a motorcycle but I have always been the guy who fixes everything It has taken me 3 days but I now have the case opened. 1 piston bearing on the crank has worn a descent size grove in the crank. that piston is broken and the rod was bent 180 degrees. Both cylinder sleeves took all the damage and destroyed. Some impact to the case between cylinders but that damage shouldn't affect anything. Should I buy another case or repair this one? I'm assuming the sleeves can be replace and either repair the crank of swap it out. If I have put this in the wrong thread it's because I just join and can't start a new thread yet....I think

thanks all

Hello, Chewy Welcome to the forum.

Just a little heads up.
You're right. You might want to open your own thread about your issue.
If you post your issue on another persons thread, you may not get answered. Not because no one cares, but it's difficult to answer multiple questions on a single subject header, like this one is called "85-Vmax Sounds- not the good kind".
That's basically called Hijacking someone else's thread, :)
Choose Home, New Topic, and enter the title, and description of the issue..

Again, Welcome aboard..

Good luck with that problem.

Latest posts

Back