Is my starter going out?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Lately, noticed my starter not cranking the engine over.
It catches, but nothing.
At first I thought that maybe my battery terminals may have gotten loose, but that is not the case.
The other day I had to rock the bike back and fourth in 1st to get the engine to turn over and got the starter to crank the engine.
Is this a sure sign that my starter is heading out?

A quick test might be to remove all the spark plug then try the starter, if it still hangs-up you maybe looking at a starter clutch issue?

The first thing I would check is the battery. Just had to replace the battery in my '15 Indian Roadmaster. It would light all the lights but as soon as I hit the starter button....nothing. Batteries will sometimes "short" internally, when you try the sterter the high amp draw will temporarily short the plates together. You can test them with a volt meter but with no load will check good. the only way to know is to use a battery load tester. One question: is the battery full of water?

Great advice.
Thank you all, will take the battery out Tuesday and get it tested.

If the battery has 12.6 volts after sitting for several hours then I think it unlikely to be that.
Check and clean all of the connections to the starter.

If the battery is OK the noise is consistent with a starter clutch on its way out.

If the battery has 12.6 volts after sitting for several hours then I think it unlikely to be that.
Check and clean all of the connections to the starter.

If the battery is OK the noise is consistent with a starter clutch on its way out.

+1 on testing the battery in the bike. No need to remove it for testing.

If it turns out you need a battery, now would be the time to consider the battery box mod. Simple to do, costs nothing, and it lets you use a Gold Wing battery with much more capacity than a standard battery. As a plus, you can get a good Wing battery cheaper than the Max battery. Check your charging output. Make sure youre getting enough to the battery to keep it happy.

Info on the mod is on the forum here..

If it turns out you need a battery, now would be the time to consider the battery box mod. Simple to do, costs nothing, and it lets you use a Gold Wing battery with much more capacity than a standard battery. As a plus, you can get a good Wing battery cheaper than the Max battery. Check your charging output. Make sure youre getting enough to the battery to keep it happy.

+1.

Battery mod is one of the best mods. Be a good time for bill's r/r mod as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No noise coming from the starter.
Checking starter connection for corrosion, will do.
Currently have APEX battery, IIRC <2 years old.
Have performed the crimp fix, gained <.3V doing so. IIRC charging output is 13.8V

Or consider a lithium ion which takes less space. I just put one in and it works great

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The first thing I would check is the battery...

We have a winner.

Battery was not fully charged.
110 miles on the tank and reserve light still was not coming on. Reason; never took it above 40mph (no I'm not sick) . Stayed local for that time. With all that conservation, I don't think I ever got the rpms above 3K for any length of time.

Note to self: Vmax likes the old you.

Now is there something that I can do to get more voltage at low RPM? Possibly an R6 R/R will do that?

It should still charge ok even at that low rpm. Make sure it IS still charging, you should see close to 14v above idle.

Also if it is hot out and you are burbling along in stop and go traffic, your fan could be on a lot which will run the batt down unless you can get a bit higher rpm for a bit.

Latest posts

Back